Civic Type R US Sales Numbers (to date)

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 CTR LE (AUS-008)
Country flag
Hey everyone, first post here. Just picked up a 2017 CTR with super low mileage, as I didn't want to deal with markups or fighting tooth and nail with dealerships.

Either way, my VIN number ends in 197, but my badge number is 1970. I was wondering wtf the discrepancy was about. I think it's kind of dumb of Honda not to make the plaque number match the VIN number. As if it would've been that hard to do to have them sequential. To owners- to anyone spending huge money on essentially an economy car- you'd think Honda would give it's fans just that. There's a sense of pride knowing and sharing your number within the community. Honda knows there are 538494716 Type R fans, also. I consider us as brand ambassadors- we are selling Hondas for Honda by talking about the many ups of the car.
The problem is for each market and year model Type R they incrementally number the last 5 digits. So say I have a MY18 produced for Australia with 00156, that means it's the 156th Australian MY18 Type R. But there was also no doubt an Australian MY17 that had 00156. When they do the same for every market you can't have any correlation to the badge number.
Sponsored

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
The problem is for each market and year model Type R they incrementally number the last 5 digits. So say I have a MY18 produced for Australia with 00156, that means it's the 156th Australian MY18 Type R. But there was also no doubt an Australian MY17 that had 00156. When they do the same for every market you can't have any correlation to the badge number.
There is that as well but also there was none to begin with. I have badge 00141 one of the first ones made in the first days of production and still my vin dont match. And tge was even before model years or markets. Plus add in what you did and its a mess... bottom line zero matching lol

SixxSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
If anything, it feels like Honda may have missed a chance to make these cars even more valuable down the road.

We all know how expensive classic cars are these days with matching numbers on the engine and transmission. You can't fake that stuff and if numbers match you know you have a gem on your hands.

But in the case of the CTR, that all goes out the window. The two numbers (VIN vs unit number) have zero to do with one another can can't even be tracked back to see if they were originally paired together, or if the car had something changed. I highly doubt Honda isn't smart enough or capable of figuring out a world wide numbering system that works for all CTRs. It really isn't rocket science.

I guess with the unit number only being on the center console though, it's not terribly important. Maybe if the number was on a few places on the car it would be a bigger deal. Either way... Just interesting, is all.

norbert

First Name
Norbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M5
Country flag
I don't think its going to be a problem in the future, I'm sure there will be some sort of registry.

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2005 S2000, 1993 EG, 1989 EF Si
Country flag
If anything, it feels like Honda may have missed a chance to make these cars even more valuable down the road.

We all know how expensive classic cars are these days with matching numbers on the engine and transmission. You can't fake that stuff and if numbers match you know you have a gem on your hands.

But in the case of the CTR, that all goes out the window. The two numbers (VIN vs unit number) have zero to do with one another can can't even be tracked back to see if they were originally paired together, or if the car had something changed. I highly doubt Honda isn't smart enough or capable of figuring out a world wide numbering system that works for all CTRs. It really isn't rocket science.

I guess with the unit number only being on the center console though, it's not terribly important. Maybe if the number was on a few places on the car it would be a bigger deal. Either way... Just interesting, is all.
Why would Honda care about value down the road? They've already sold the cars, why would they care about future collector value?

Also, as far as "numbers matching", that would all track by VIN. I haven't specifically checked on my Type R, but I assume the engine and trans have VIN tags like every other newer Honda I've owned.

The good thing is Honda is making enough of these that hopefully it's mostly a moot point. I doubt we'll see a bubble the same way the ITR has boomed, at least not as soon.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Still find it weird people are buying a Honda worried about its value in 20-30 years. I will have likely sold this car LONG before then. Say it’s worth 50k in 25 years. After maintenance, registration, insurance, storage, initial purchase, etc you’re losing money lol. Drive the car and enjoy it.

You would make SO SO much more putting 35k into an investment account and checking back in 25 years and if you’re not going to enjoy the car.

CTtypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Still find it weird people are buying a Honda worried about its value in 20-30 years. I will have likely sold this car LONG before then. Say it’s worth 50k in 25 years. After maintenance, registration, insurance, storage, initial purchase, etc you’re losing money lol. Drive the car and enjoy it.

You would make SO SO much more putting 35k into an investment account and checking back in 25 years and if you’re not going to enjoy the car.
I'd never buy this car to garage it, but the resale price was definitely a driving factor for me purchasing it. I can't imagine this is the type of car where people will care about the VIN, though.

rfor28

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2002 Chevy Silverado, 2000 Infiniti I30, 1985 Toyota Celica Supra, 1981 Toyota Celica Sunchaser
Country flag
They dont sit on lots. Most are sold before they even come in. The only ones that sit on lots are the ones the dealers marked up added assecories through the roof or dont really want to sell.it in order to draw customers in. Other then that the R I'm guessing has high sales numbers I never see one on a lot ever.
I agree completely. I bought mine the day it arrived. It was the third CTR the dealership had had and none of them lasted more than a day or two.

CTtypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I agree completely. I bought mine the day it arrived. It was the third CTR the dealership had had and none of them lasted more than a day or two.
Meanwhile I got mine at essentially MSRP because it sat for six months

2019SiOldGuy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Storm trooper Taco TRD 4x4, custom 3 wheel Hy Bird
Country flag
I didn't find anything on this when I searched so thought I would share the info I have on sales numbers. What you see is info I have compiled on CTR sales in the US. I believe these sales to be directionally correct. I am estimating a +/- error of 2%.

Where did I get this information? All I can say is I work for a supplier where I am able to track all of the data that is reported. Most dealers are good about this, but there are few cases in which a sale may go unreported. Hope this is insightful.

CTR.jpg
2019 sales are way down!! The hype is over!! You can get an 18 with less than 5000 miles for 35000 after taxes....THE HYPE IS OVER!!!

2019SiOldGuy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Storm trooper Taco TRD 4x4, custom 3 wheel Hy Bird
Country flag
I didn't find anything on this when I searched so thought I would share the info I have on sales numbers. What you see is info I have compiled on CTR sales in the US. I believe these sales to be directionally correct. I am estimating a +/- error of 2%.

Where did I get this information? All I can say is I work for a supplier where I am able to track all of the data that is reported. Most dealers are good about this, but there are few cases in which a sale may go unreported. Hope this is insightful.

CTR.jpg
Loks like nobody shopped on thanksgiving or xmas of 18....LOL

Robotaz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
I'm curious, as a sonic gray pearl owner, how many there are. I have not seen another one in person.