Would You Have Preferred a Sunroof-less Si?

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Honda doesn't give Si buyers a choice in whether or not they get a sunroof/moonroof (if anyone wants to explain the difference between the two terms to me, feel free), we all get one whether we want it or not. So I am just curious to know if people generally agree with Honda's decision to install one on all Si civics. It's clear that they tried to save weight/money in some areas, like having manually adjustable seats and non-hydraulic hood supports, but must have figured that Si buyers would all be willing to take on a little extra weight to have the luxury of getting some vitamin D while driving around.
Sponsored

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda doesn't give Si buyers a choice in whether or not they get a sunroof/moonroof (if anyone wants to explain the difference between the two terms to me, feel free), we all get one whether we want it or not. So I am just curious to know if people generally agree with Honda's decision to install one on all Si civics. It's clear that they tried to save weight/money in some areas, like having manually adjustable seats and non-hydraulic hood supports, but must have figured that Si buyers would all be willing to take on a little extra weight to have the luxury of getting some vitamin D while driving around.
I would take the lighter weight sunroof-less model. Not only for the head room, but the much less heavy roof.

kevok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Personally don't care for the sunroof as I never really use it so I would have gotten it without if possible. I think a moon roof only tilts and does not open fully. I think you can use either term and no one would really care lol

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would not mind giving up the sunroof at all.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
If you remove the weight of the glass, rails, motor, wiring harness, etc. We might have saved 50 pounds without it.

EasyFrag

First Name
JOey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I would have picked no sunroof..

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd gladly forgo the Sunroof.
Honda claims to have "saved" weight by deleting the spare tire, manual adjust seats, no hood struts, etc ... but places a heavy sunroof above our heads.
That's the WORST possible location for extra weight, when considering the affect it has on the center of gravity.

In addition, it makes it harder for tall drivers to wear a helmet.
(I'm short, at 5'-8", so I don't have that problem, but I know others do)

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
a sunroof/moonroof (if anyone wants to explain the difference between the two terms to me, feel free)
I've been told a sunroof is simply a fixed window, whereas a moonroof opens to air (tilt and/or retract). No idea if that's true lol.

OP
OP
Drake

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I'd gladly forgo the Sunroof.
Honda claims to have "saved" weight by deleting the spare tire, manual adjust seats, no hood struts, etc ... but places a heavy sunroof above our heads.
That's the WORST possible location for extra weight, when considering the affect it has on the center of gravity.
I truly believe their most unfortunate design decision was the center exhaust instead of single/dual side exhaust(s), which 1. looks odd (subjectively) and 2. takes up valuable trunk space that could have been better utilized to allow for a spare tire (objectively)

I think a moon roof only tilts and does not open fully. I think you can use either term and no one would really care lol
I've been told a sunroof is simply a fixed window, whereas a moonroof opens to air (tilt and/or retract). No idea if that's true lol.
This is exactly why no one will ever know the true definitions of these arbitrary terms :)

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll keep the Sunroof as the opening above my head is appreciated on nice days :) It was a plus for me over the Type R

You'll find better overall gains with lighter wheels and stickier tires, and some suspension modifications.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I'm like a leaf on the wind.

I definitely like having the sunroof. I open or tilt it nearly every time I drive. Even if I don't open it, I slide open the interior cover to get extra light and have a more spacious airy feeling in the cabin.

Even if the Si didn't come with a sunroof to save 50 pounds, I'd have bought the car and I'd be happy for the reduced weight and extra headroom so tall passengers would fit without hitting the headliner.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
100% NO SUN ROOF.

Never use it - opened it once to check it was working, and I assume the Tint guy opened it when tinting the sunroof glass, and that has been the full extent of it's open life.

It is a potential place for water leakage.
Added weight.
Added contribution to heat in the car from overhead sunlight.

But the most important reason NOT to have that sunroof is to get a little more headroom.
Anyone over about 5 10, runs the risk of rubbing their hair, or even their head on the lowered part of the roof, taken up by the sunroof fitting. - and that is just with normal driving.
Hit a BUMP in the road in a Si, and you can easily transfer that bump to the top of your head !!

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd of preferred no sunroof. I would assume it would have made the car cheaper (assuming Honda passed the savings along to us), somewhat lighter and is one less thing to break/leak from as the car ages. I don't mind it as standard equipment but I'd never pay more for one, given that I almost never use it.

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I love my sunroof and have it open every chance I get, nice to be able to tilt it in light rain or cooler weather. I leave it open in the garage to let the car air out especially if the floor mats are wet from my shoes, maximize drying. I'm 6' and never feel cramped. But it would be nice for Honda to have made it an option for all of the reasons listed above.

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (Sold), 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec (SH-AWD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was not expecting to read so many votes for no sunroof. I use it every single day and couldn't imagine driving a car without a sunroof or t-tops/targa top.

Top 3 Reasons I'm not lured into upgrading to a Type R (in order):
  1. No Coupe Option
  2. No Sunroof
  3. The car looks great. But, I really, really hate those fake vents the hatches have on the rear bumper. Probably fixable with an aftermarket option I imagine, though.

I am 100% pleased with Honda's decision to include the sunroof. If it was ever something that wasn't at least optional, I would not buy whatever gen Si they stopped putting it on.
Sponsored