Had to use the actual key

MikeATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Lunar Silver Civic Touring, 2009 Pontiac G8 GT, 2006 Honda Pilot, 2000 Chrysler Town and Country
Why didn't she press the button on the door handle?
I'll have to ask her later to see if she did try to do that or not.
Sponsored

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The rapid beeping would happen if one of the doors, trunk, or hood is not fully closed according to the manual.

MikeATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Lunar Silver Civic Touring, 2009 Pontiac G8 GT, 2006 Honda Pilot, 2000 Chrysler Town and Country
Why didn't she press the button on the door handle?
I'll have to ask her later to see if she did try to do that or not.
I just asked her and she said that the button on the door didn't work.

The rapid beeping would happen if one of the doors, trunk, or hood is not fully closed according to the manual.
She was sure that the doors and trunk were all closed fully.
The door lock/unlock system was working again normally when she went back to the car again later.

modernwarpaint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T (CBM)
This happened about 6 weeks ago. I put some stuff in the trunk, and when I closed the trunk, all of the lights came on, and the car locked me out. I could not unlock the car by touching the door handle, or by pushing the button on the door handle, or by using the remote. It was completely frozen. I had to take the key out of the keyfob, and manually unlock the door (took me back in the 80‘s ... aah, good times ...). When I opened the door, the car alarm went off. So I closed the door, and the car locked itself again. At that point, I was able to unlock the door by touching the door handle.

It's almost as if manually unlocking the door using the key did some sort of reset, and everything returned to normal.

This has only happened once, and would be very difficult to for the dealer to replicate, so I am chalking it up as one of those things.
This exact situation happened to me during my lunch break today. It freaked me out because it was like it locked me out of my own vehicle! I was a little thrown off because I tried using my FOB unlock button and my actual handle sensor, and nothing. I couldn't even open the trunk either. I had to resort to using the actual key in my FOB, in which the alarm went off when I opened it. I turned it off, and I was a little worried something else may malfunction while I'm in the vehicle like it would lock me inside and hold me ransom or some crap like that. Afterwards, the door handle worked, but I had to move my hand a little to the right.

It's a little comforting to know others have experienced this same issue, but it still bothers me that this could happen only a week after having my car. :rolleyes1::thumbsdown:

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
This exact situation happened to me during my lunch break today. It freaked me out because it was like it locked me out of my own vehicle! I was a little thrown off because I tried using my FOB unlock button and my actual handle sensor, and nothing. I couldn't even open the trunk either. I had to resort to using the actual key in my FOB, in which the alarm went off when I opened it. I turned it off, and I was a little worried something else may malfunction while I'm in the vehicle like it would lock me inside and hold me ransom or some crap like that. Afterwards, the door handle worked, but I had to move my hand a little to the right.

It's a little comforting to know others have experienced this same issue, but it still bothers me that this could happen only a week after having my car. :rolleyes1::thumbsdown:
It was definitely freaky when it happened, but if it makes you feel any better, it hasn't happened since.

jburrowes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Same thing happened to me (and there's another thread on this here too, so there's more than just us). I opened the trunk using the button and then shut it, went to open the driver's door and nothing. The turn signals were on and solid. Key fob buttons wouldn't do anything either. I had to use the key, alarm went off and then I was able to hit the unlock button on the fob to turn it off and everything went back to normal. It happened exactly two weeks after I got my car, but that's the only problem I've had so I can't complain too much.

MaximusMushu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex
Everyone who is having issues: Make sure your phone is not near your keys when you try to use the smart keyless entry system. I thought my car was defective until I figured out that my phone was causing interference. Now that I keep my phone and keys in different pockets, my smart lock/unlock has worked flawlessly every time.
It's interesting you advise this about the phone. Yesterday I was locked out of my car too like everyone posted and the difference is that my phone was plugged into the cigarette adapter and sitting inside my car. Other times my phone would be in my pocket, different pocket from the FOB. I wonder if the phone is the culprit in most of these issues...

hanakosmom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic, 2013 Honda Accord
Bought our 2016 Civic Touring on 12/31/15, no problems (other than the leather on the steering wheel starting to peel) until today. Closed the trunk, then the car wouldn't let me in. The lights, front and back, were on. None of the buttons on the fob worked. I was afraid to set off the panic button for fear that it wouldn't shut off. Had to use the actual key to gain entry into the vehicle. Of course, the alarm then went off. None of the buttons on the fob worked to shut off the alarm. Car started fine and once I started it the alarm stopped. Like Modernwarpaint I was afraid the vehicle might take me hostage. Too much technology. This happened about 3 hrs ago after stopping to get coffee on the way to work. Thank goodness for google and all your postings. Using the actual key never occurred to me. Lol.

Dbekkxo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2014
My key FOB is currently not allowing me into my car nor is the key that is inside of the key FOB. I even changed the battery and got the spare and nothing. Has anyone else had this problem where the actual key in the FOB will not allow your door to open?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
nor is the key that is inside of the key FOB. … Has anyone else had this problem where the actual key in the FOB will not allow your door to open?
So it doesn't twist in the lock? Sounds like you don't have the right keys--that's mechanical; old style technology.

Dbekkxo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2014
So it doesn't twist in the lock? Sounds like you don't have the right keys--that's mechanical; old style technology.

The key turns. It was the key given to me when I purchased the car, same as with my spare.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
The key turns. It was the key given to me when I purchased the car, same as with my spare.
Please amplify, then, on "key won't allow your door to open"?

Dbekkxo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2014
Please amplify, then, on "key won't allow your door to open"?
I'll start from the beginning. I arrived to work, shut the car off, got out locked the door by pressing the button located on the outside of door. When I went to my car, I placed my hand in between the car handle and the car in order to unlock the car. Nothing happened. I pressed the buttons on the FOB to see if that would unlock my car. Nothing. I than bought the battery required for the FOB and replaced it (even though I know the FOB wasn't dead because the light worked) and still nothing. At that point I removed the manual key located inside of the FOB. Placed the key into the driver door.. the key fits perfectly and turns as if the car would unlock, however the car does not unlock. No Alarms will go off. Nothing. I tried pressing and holding down the buttons on the FOB and that doesn't work either. I had my parents bring me the spare FOB to see if the problem was the remote itself. That did not work either.

Both FOBs were given to me at the same time and at the time of purchasing the car. I never had a key made for the either. Everything is the original.
Sponsored