Status
Not open for further replies.

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
I'm just curious as to when the ADM and the 'addon features' prices will be gone and one will be able to get it at MSRP. For me, if they used raise the MSRP to $39-40k - I would be alright with it. But I don't believe you'll recoup the ADM so while the ADM takes it to around $40k - that is money lost - granted ALL of this becomes a mute point if you keep the car for around 10yrs. Something I tell myself all the time although around the 4 or 5yr mark - I"m looking for a new ride :)

I think the used market might be where you find the best bargains - I'm seeing some 'decent' deals with less than 5k on the odo. But right now, my focus is to wait for a year - so the 2020 refresh might be something I'll look at again - plus my current ride will be close if not PIF.
Sponsored

H3llsp4wn707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrx
Country flag
Anything under $50K is not expensive and a relative bargain. Look around at how crowded the market is already.
Well to buy a $50k car, which as you say isnt that expensive, a person should be making probably $125k a year or so, otherwise your financial priorities need some serious reconsidering. Id say most people here make way under $100k so spending $50k on a car is moronic to put it lightly.

Last edited:

H3llsp4wn707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrx
Country flag
I'm just curious as to when the ADM and the 'addon features' prices will be gone and one will be able to get it at MSRP. For me, if they used raise the MSRP to $39-40k - I would be alright with it. But I don't believe you'll recoup the ADM so while the ADM takes it to around $40k - that is money lost - granted ALL of this becomes a mute point if you keep the car for around 10yrs. Something I tell myself all the time although around the 4 or 5yr mark - I"m looking for a new ride :)

I think the used market might be where you find the best bargains - I'm seeing some 'decent' deals with less than 5k on the odo. But right now, my focus is to wait for a year - so the 2020 refresh might be something I'll look at again - plus my current ride will be close if not PIF.
ADM plus Tax and i can't think of a worse way to lose a ton of money if you ever sold that car before 10 years, like you said lol. I get bored of my cars in 4-5 years so no way would i ever pay adm on anything. But i understand why others would. I wouldn't let $2k markup keep me from the car of my dreams.

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
one HELL of a bargain is the Veloster N
If I had never owned Hyundai, I would have to agree with this. However, I've owned two Hyundais in my family and both have had the engine replaced under warranty after the engine seized and left us stranded (yes, it happen twice on two different Hyundai vehicles, reference recall #17V226000).

If there is one car brand I think is total sh*t, it's Hyundai. I grew up in Tampa Bay, and there was a car dealer called Fitzgerald who aired Hyundai commercials all the time. I'll never forget the slogan, which was an old man (the owner himself, Fitzgerald) saying:

"People ask me all the time 'Jack, do you sell Hondas?'....I sell HYUNDAI. It's a lot more car, for a lot less money"
As it turns out, Hyundai is a lot less money for a reason, and certainly a lot less car.

Years later, after two seized engines on two different Hyundais, I'll never, ever own Hyundai again. Aside from the seized engines, there was a slew of other issues I had (knocking in the steering wheel column, faulty oxygen sensors, failed starter to name a few). So, while the Veloster N from the surface seems like a neat car, I see nothing but a pile of junk. That car will depreciate so fast , much more than an Si and certainly way more than a CTR, and you'll be getting warranty work done on it throughout the 100,000 mile coverage.

Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
However, one HELL of a bargain is the Veloster N with the performance package. If you can find a dealer who sells it at MSRP, you are getting extremely good performance numbers (and a wonderfully executed exhaust) for about $30K. It’s not too far off from the Type R in performance and Hyundai’s infotainment is miles better in regards to overall usability. Hyundai priced it almost perfectly and nailed the execution of it too.
have you driven it? it looked really good on paper but i wasn't impressed with it overall when i saw it and drove it. The figures are not too far off but the price shows itself. It really feels CHEAP.

Gunther

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46
Country flag
Stage 1 wrx DIT motors make as much power as a Stage 1 Sti, and it still has a better drivetrain layout than the CTR. Why not just get a wrx then?
Don't wanna tune a turbo motor - especially on a Subaru. Don't need/want the complexity of AWD - the simpler, the better for a DD. And I like Honda's reputation for reliability. WRX was on the top of my list, but then I drove a Type R and found it more exciting.

I can't believe people think Type R is a bargain at $40-45k range. Its not. Obviously, its all market dynamics - but $40k for a front-wheel drive civic is not a bargain. Subaru has been churning out 300hp with turbo for ages, you can beat on it all you want about the age of engine etc. but they still keep the price under 40k with AWD. There is no reason for Type R to be close to that. @ $44k you can get a certified M2 - much better styling and driving experience. I love Type R but - sorry - I don't see the value in it with the aggressive price hikes and ADMs.
Naw bro, even at $70K, it's a bargain.

I went one further than you in the "if you could get a ctr at msrp would you trade your Si"- i dont think the ctr is a bargain even at msrp. Much like you, i could never pay $38k for a front wheel drive car even though it's faster around a track than my 15 wrx. I value the awd very highly, and most people who have never driven an awd car would never understand. Thats not to say nobody was happier going fron a STi to a CTR, the Honda is a well built, quality car, but the drivetrain layout just isnt as good as awd.
The Si however is an absolute gem and can be had for $22k. Now that is a bargain imo!
Every single review - "The CTR is fantastic, and because it's FWD, it can be priced far below its competition." But it sounds like the primary reason for the existence of FWD is lost on some people here.

Honestly if the Si was about as powerful as the GTI it'd be perfect, but Honda knows this & they don't want to bridge the gap between the Si & the CTR. It's already barely worth it to get the Golf R over the GTI.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If I had never owned Hyundai, I would have to agree with this. However, I've owned two Hyundais in my family and both have had the engine replaced under warranty after the engine seized and left us stranded (yes, it happen twice on two different Hyundai vehicles, reference recall #17V226000).

If there is one car brand I think is total sh*t, it's Hyundai. I grew up in Tampa Bay, and there was a car dealer called Fitzgerald who aired Hyundai commercials all the time. I'll never forget the slogan, which was an old man (the owner himself, Fitzgerald) saying:

"People ask me all the time 'Jack, do you sell Hondas?'....I sell HYUNDAI. It's a lot more car, for a lot less money"
As it turns out, Hyundai is a lot less money for a reason, and certainly a lot less car.

Years later, after two seized engines on two different Hyundais, I'll never, ever own Hyundai again. Aside from the seized engines, there was a slew of other issues I had (knocking in the steering wheel column, faulty oxygen sensors, failed starter to name a few). So, while the Veloster N from the surface seems like a neat car, I see nothing but a pile of junk. That car will depreciate so fast , much more than an Si and certainly way more than a CTR, and you'll be getting warranty work done on it throughout the 100,000 mile coverage.
My family has owned several Hyundai’s and they haven’t really had any major issues. There were a few minor ones but nothing too bad. I learned to drive in a 2012 Sonata and I thought it was perfectly adequate.

have you driven it? it looked really good on paper but i wasn't impressed with it overall when i saw it and drove it. The figures are not too far off but the price shows itself. It really feels CHEAP.
No, I haven’t driven it yet. I know for a fact that the material selection on the interior was noticeably towards the cheap side which is where I imagine it was able to cut costs. A lot of the reviews say it’s an extremely fun car though. And for the price of you can stomach it I think it’s a good price for what you get.

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
Yall know stuff gets more expensive because of stock holders and investors. They gotta keep getting money and their investments to increase so only way companies can do that is to raise prices. manufacturing does not get MORE expensive if anything the longer a product is on the market the cheaper it is to make not the other way around. machines get paid off and all the capitol investments get paid off so manufacturing costs go down and price goes down and profits go up. The only reason a company increases a products price is because they have to keep padding the investors pockets.
yep, and I'm proud to be one of those investors who wants their pockets lined. If that 1.6% price bump could only translate into a 1.6% increase in my portfolio, I would be an extremely happy guy....I don't make the rules, but I sure take advantage of them :)

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yep, and I'm proud to be one of those investors who wants their pockets lined. If that 1.6% price bump could only translate into a 1.6% increase in my portfolio, I would be an extremely happy guy....I don't make the rules, but I sure take advantage of them :)
Hahaha some people like him doesn’t understand capitalism like we do. We invest in stocks and grow portfolios while some whine and complain about it and sit on the sideline.

Apple stocks paid for my FK8 free and clear after grabbing a ton of shares after November 2016 election. How can I complain about free money that comes from putting it to work? LoL hi-five!!!

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well to buy a $50k car, which as you say isnt that expensive, a person should be making probably $125k a year or so, otherwise your financial priorities need some serious reconsidering. Id say most people here make way under $100k so spending $50k on a car is moronic to put it lightly.
No, point is soon it will be $50K car and we’ll have the same post at that time. The bar then moves to $75K as next level ;-)

Plenty of people I know drive $50K cars and make less than $100K because they’ve done a good job saving and investing. You don’t need to make $100K+ if you’re smart so not it’s not moronic - it’s called good financial management.

Meanwhile the median American family has only $11,700 in savings as of 2018 stats. That’s moronic.

AREA

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic SI coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agreed! I make over 125k and still bought the SI. Leaves me with a lot more money to use towards fun times with my daughter. I almost made a dumb mistake and wanted to purchase a GTR. Glad I didn't because it would limit my financial freedom.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Every time the price creeps up, the closer it gets to other performers and the less of a bargain it becomes.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Hahaha some people like him doesn’t understand capitalism like we do. We invest in stocks and grow portfolios while some whine and complain about it and sit on the sideline.

Apple stocks paid for my FK8 free and clear after grabbing a ton of shares after November 2016 election. How can I complain about free money that comes from putting it to work? LoL hi-five!!!
You are awesome wish i could touch you.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Wow, we got some people on here think they are special cause they got money... wow if that is your only bragging point of your contribution to the human race is bragging of your own superiorty over others due to your back account. That truly is sad.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.