Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
I think the increase is because the 2020 is going to get another increase given it's getting a 2nd refresh. Allows for incremental price changes so we don't freak out on the 2020 pricing. People will pay it so it doesn't matter. I thought the car should have been priced at $37K from Day 1, anyway. If the 2020 comes with some real changes like a carbon roof and a slight power bump, I'll gladly accept another price increase on top of this one.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I think the increase is because the 2020 is going to get another increase given it's getting a 2nd refresh. Allows for incremental price changes so we don't freak out on the 2020 pricing. People will pay it so it doesn't matter. I thought the car should have been priced at $37K from Day 1, anyway. If the 2020 comes with some real changes like a carbon roof and a slight power bump, I'll gladly accept another price increase on top of this one.
Here's to hoping that any hardware changes are poachable for our cars.

Morning Mahogany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type-R
Country flag
It’s always supply & demand. The CTR was under-priced when it was introduced in 2017 @ $34k. The price hike is a market value adjustment/re-balance. If demand stays strong price will continue to rise.

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
So my question for everyone is (and I know it will be different for each person) but what is the MOST you are willing to spend for the CTR? I agree that it is under priced when it first came out but honestly, it’s a tough pill to swallow to think that this car with ‘dealer adjustments’ will be hitting over $40k and that is before financing and TTL. While I am curious about the CTR - every car hits a point where the return on your value isn’t in line with the price. So just curious - what would most pay for this car?
For me, the price where it is right now is probably where it should have been but to start off where they are, have dealer markups that are crazy - it might make me look elsewhere. Makes me wonder what the Supra will be going for when it comes out?

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Supra starts at $50k (corrected typo) and goes up to $54. I guess $37.5k (MSRP) should be about right for a CTR and that's 40k after taxes and fees, a sweet sport I'm sure Honda tried to make for most buyers. ADM is another story that Honda can't control. But as a consumer, 40k OTD (and below) is the magic number for me.

https://www.motor1.com/news/300919/2020-toyota-supra-pricing-us/

Last edited:

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
Supra starts at $45k and goes up to $54. I guess $37.5k (MSRP) should be about right for a CTR and that's 40k after taxes and fees, a sweet sport I'm sure Honda tried to make for most buyers. ADM is another story that Honda can't control. But as a consumer, 40k OTD (and below) is the magic number for me.

I completely agree - the Golf R is over 40k after TTL but honestly, not a lot of people seem to be paying MSRP on the CTR. MSRP is great IF you can get it but it seems like most people are paying over 40k and TTL for a car - the salty part is that the MSRP is around $37k. As for the Supra - I think that car WILL be a beast once more reviews come out - just like the CTR and just like the CTR - the ADM will be stupid crazy high on it as well. MSRP for either of these cars are GREAT but if you have be over $40k to just get the CTR bc of dealer ADM or dealer ‘forced/overpriced addons’ - than I have to wonder if it’s worth it.

Again, not knocking the CTR - great car that was probably priced lower than what it should have been - it doesn’t compete with GTIs and Focus STs or WRXs - its more in the range of Golf Rs, Focus RS and STIs - so for it be priced close to $40k would have been ‘okay’ in my book IF the MSRP was $40k - and there was no dealer markup. Bc with the ADM - you’re not going to recoup that - just bc you pay $5k OVER MSRP - doesn’t mean you can sell it used 5-6yrs down the line and recoup that.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anything under $50K is not expensive and a relative bargain. Look around at how crowded the market is already.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Supra starts at $45k and goes up to $54. I guess $37.5k (MSRP) should be about right for a CTR and that's 40k after taxes and fees, a sweet sport I'm sure Honda tried to make for most buyers. ADM is another story that Honda can't control. But as a consumer, 40k OTD (and below) is the magic number for me.

The problem is now with the price bump and the average dealer 2k mark up . with tax ,tag , and title the R is a over 40k car now.

Last edited:

H3llsp4wn707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrx
Country flag
This & the ADMs is seriously off-putting. A substantial element of this car being FWD is to keep it inexpensive. If the morons @ Subaru weren't still cranking out the STI with a 15+ year-old engine, I'd be strongly considering that instead.
Stage 1 wrx DIT motors make as much power as a Stage 1 Sti, and it still has a better drivetrain layout than the CTR. Why not just get a wrx then?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I still think the Type R is a complete bargain under about $45K. Then it’s not too clear.

However, one HELL of a bargain is the Veloster N with the performance package. If you can find a dealer who sells it at MSRP, you are getting extremely good performance numbers (and a wonderfully executed exhaust) for about $30K. It’s not too far off from the Type R in performance and Hyundai’s infotainment is miles better in regards to overall usability. Hyundai priced it almost perfectly and nailed the execution of it too.

Still, the Type R is a beast for the price and you really can’t go wrong with it unless you live in a really bad area for it.

chandlervt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Subaru WRX
Country flag
I can't believe people think Type R is a bargain at $40-45k range. Its not. Obviously, its all market dynamics - but $40k for a front-wheel drive civic is not a bargain. Subaru has been churning out 300hp with turbo for ages, you can beat on it all you want about the age of engine etc. but they still keep the price under 40k with AWD. There is no reason for Type R to be close to that. @ $44k you can get a certified M2 - much better styling and driving experience. I love Type R but - sorry - I don't see the value in it with the aggressive price hikes and ADMs.

H3llsp4wn707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrx
Country flag
I can't believe people think Type R is a bargain at $40-45k range. Its not. Obviously, its all market dynamics - but $40k for a front-wheel drive civic is not a bargain. Subaru has been churning out 300hp with turbo for ages, you can beat on it all you want about the age of engine etc. but they still keep the price under 40k with AWD. There is no reason for Type R to be close to that. @ $44k you can get a certified M2 - much better styling and driving experience. I love Type R but - sorry - I don't see the value in it with the aggressive price hikes and ADMs.
I went one further than you in the "if you could get a ctr at msrp would you trade your Si"- i dont think the ctr is a bargain even at msrp. Much like you, i could never pay $38k for a front wheel drive car even though it's faster around a track than my 15 wrx. I value the awd very highly, and most people who have never driven an awd car would never understand. Thats not to say nobody was happier going fron a STi to a CTR, the Honda is a well built, quality car, but the drivetrain layout just isnt as good as awd.
The Si however is an absolute gem and can be had for $22k. Now that is a bargain imo!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.