To those with aftermarket intercoolers.....

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
Back story- Have Ktuner with TSP stage 1 installed, everything else is stock. Clutch is now slipping at 13k miles (bought new in November 18). I knew it would happen just to my driving style. No runs from digs or even real hard one-two's. But lots of aggressive driving elsewhere. I have a PRL Cobra CAI Race maf, Invidia R400 exhaust and just ordered catless DP/FP and am pretty much decided on the FX350 clutch and aluminum flywheel. Then install all the parts at once and do one dyno tune.

To those that have done the intercooler upgrade, which did you choose, and how has it been doing. I did a search on PRL intercooler and holy moly, lots have been sold...so I am wary about ordering as that is the model I was going to get as for under $800, it comes with silicon hoses and all that jazz.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've got the full kit from Mishimoto including piping. It's a bit more expensive than the PRL Kit, but I like the build quality, and it's larger core that fills up the grille nicely :)

Honda Civic 10th gen To those with aftermarket intercoolers..... NYP_5527

OP
OP
VooDuuChild

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
I've got the full kit from Mishimoto including piping. It's a bit more expensive than the PRL Kit, but I like the build quality, and it's larger core that fills up the grille nicely :)
Have you noticed any difference? Are you running other mods? I agree, the Mishi is a gorgeous piece for sure...

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Back story- Have Ktuner with TSP stage 1 installed, everything else is stock. Clutch is now slipping at 13k miles (bought new in November 18). I knew it would happen just to my driving style. No runs from digs or even real hard one-two's. But lots of aggressive driving elsewhere. I have a PRL Cobra CAI Race maf, Invidia R400 exhaust and just ordered catless DP/FP and am pretty much decided on the FX350 clutch and aluminum flywheel. Then install all the parts at once and do one dyno tune.

To those that have done the intercooler upgrade, which did you choose, and how has it been doing. I did a search on PRL intercooler and holy moly, lots have been sold...so I am wary about ordering as that is the model I was going to get as for under $800, it comes with silicon hoses and all that jazz.

Thoughts?
Like @CanadiaegeanBlue I also have the Mishimoto Performance Intercooler connected to the stock piping. I cannot say with authority it is better than intercooers built by PRL or Injen, but I can say that this Intercooler was designed very well. Mishimoto has a reputation for exceptional R&D and engineering. Since installing it last week there is a noticeable performance gain and more responsive turbo spooling, and measuring the hot side and cold side with a laser thermometer shows about a 20 degree difference after driving. I will need to take more measurements on hot days to be able to make a more accurate determination.

But as you probably already know, Intercooers are not really horse power boosters, their purpose is to prevent heat soaking, and to prevent hp losses by cooling down charged air.

You can see my thread on the Mishimoto install I did which could help you make a determination

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Just go with any will know brands that is better for your pocket, I have a injen intercooler and it's amazing

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have you noticed any difference? Are you running other mods? I agree, the Mishi is a gorgeous piece for sure...
I have all bolt-on modifications, and the intercooler is key to keeping the charged air back into my engine as cool as possible. There's more air to pressurize with a larger intercooler as the surface area of any upgraded FMIC is much larger than the stock Intercooler, so I've noticed slightly more lag on my stock Turbo in lower RPM, versus when I had the stock intercooler. However once it's in boost, it's very consistent and strong. I have no issues with heat soak at all :)

RunningHot2017

20 years. Smashing gears.
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I just have an Injen intercooler with stock piping, the car runs cool no matter what the temp is outside, no real loss of boost either considering the extra intercooler size.

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
If you can wait till September, 27won should be releasing there's around then. I am going to put my money with them on this mod. I think they will do an exceptional job.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Been around since ‘94...

A990C6D3-AFCC-420D-9EFE-BA011FC70E1C.jpeg
No sizing information or R&D information other than a claimed HP/TQ increase vs stock.
If their intent is to sell those with a promise of power gain, they are already all sorts of wrong.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
I wish Intercooler manufactures would list the internal volume with their specifications. The greater the volume, the longer (and harder) the turbocharger has to work to get the output pressure of the intercooler to the target. Ideally a volume close to stock with additional cooling area and fins would be ideal. Increasing the internal volume to create the additional cooling area works. It just creates more work for the turbocharger.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not an expert in fluid dynamics, but there's more to it than just volume. The amount of resistance is important as well, especially when keeping pressure at a certain level. Two identically volumed units with differing fin arrays can have drastically different resistance and flow characteristics

I wish Intercooler manufactures would list the internal volume with their specifications. The greater the volume, the longer (and harder) the turbocharger has to work to get the output pressure of the intercooler to the target. Ideally a volume close to stock with additional cooling area and fins would be ideal. Increasing the internal volume to create the additional cooling area works. It just creates more work for the turbocharger.
Sponsored