Track-Day/Aero Mod: DIY Cooling Plate

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
When it comes to increasing the cooling efficiency of a radiator, it is necessary to seal all of its’ edges along the intake path to prevent air from leaking, or moving around, the cooling fins.

Doing so effectively increases cooling efficiency, reduces lift, and makes the car more aerodynamic. I did this so I could install a partial grill block for even better aero without affecting the cooling capability on my 2.0, but this will be beneficial for the 1.5T guys as well.

The stock grill flows fairly well and has somewhat of a seal on the bottom and sides, but is extremely lacking on the top of the radiator, where a large gap exists.

Additionally, aftermarket cooling plates are nothing more than underhood bling and do not provide a seal in any form. This DIY goes over a cost-effective method of sealing the top of the radiator to provide better cooling. A side effect of this mod is increased efficiency of the AC system as well.

Supplies needed:

-12x36” ABS plastic 1/8” thickness
- Double sided foam/sealing tape
- zip ties
- drill
-knife
-reciprocating saw

Measurements don’t need to be exact. I just eyeballed the contour of the bumper, marked it, and cut it to shape.

Honda Civic 10th gen Track-Day/Aero Mod: DIY Cooling Plate 5A00ED81-BF67-4D41-A399-D20D72604E60

Honda Civic 10th gen Track-Day/Aero Mod: DIY Cooling Plate 20963367-A229-43EE-8C43-1FF5062D4CCC

The seal is what’s important, so foam/tape should be placed where the plate meets the top of the radiator and front bumper support.

Honda Civic 10th gen Track-Day/Aero Mod: DIY Cooling Plate E228E321-5DA5-4BB2-947D-0E82AA26D26D

Now, I should mention that I removed my bumper for demonstration purposes, but that is NOT necessary to fabricate and install this piece.

I secured the piece by using zip ties on the radiator support brackets and hood release mechanism. I used a 3/8” bit to drill the holes, but a knife/dremel will work too.

Honda Civic 10th gen Track-Day/Aero Mod: DIY Cooling Plate 9B9052AD-09EC-416F-AB0C-F7579691A1F0

Honda Civic 10th gen Track-Day/Aero Mod: DIY Cooling Plate 59EAFC01-0AF9-4156-B561-4AA8941B5027

Honda Civic 10th gen Track-Day/Aero Mod: DIY Cooling Plate 2B995DF6-A76D-4625-9D3C-254CDE5243E2

This piece fits under the stock radiator shroud and does not require any modification of the bumper or related components. It does not interfere with the stock hood latch mechanism either.
Total cost was under $20.

I installed this piece last year and even with a partial grill block, it never budged above 190* in south MS/LA summer heat. I’ll be putting it to the test again this summer when I drive through the Sonoran desert.

OP
OP
DarkLight

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
I thought I would expound on my theory and where I got it from. It started with studying airplane radiator aerodynamics, but the principle is the same for cars.

http://contrails.free.fr/engine_aerodyn_radia_en.php

Honda Civic 10th gen Track-Day/Aero Mod: DIY Cooling Plate sml_radia_lignes

Photo GTH

It is often wrongly believed that a radiator or finned barrel directly exposed in a free airstream will achieve efficient cooling.

Actually, less than one third of the air arriving in front of the radiator will effectively flow across the core. The rest will flow around the obstacle, not without violent turbulence.
The efficiency is poor and the drag is prohibitive.
My overall goal here is to create a sealed duct that doesn’t allow any air to go around the radiator, thereby increasing cooling efficiency through a reduction in turbulence.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Good to see so much interest in this all of the sudden!! I have been messing around in the same area but for a different purpose....cleaner colder airflow to the intake. Since you have been in there to look did you notice how the factory allows air to the vent in the stock cooling plate to the intake? look at what is right under the placement of the factory opening....radiator....

OP
OP
DarkLight

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Good to see so much interest in this all of the sudden!! I have been messing around in the same area but for a different purpose....cleaner colder airflow to the intake. Since you have been in there to look did you notice how the factory allows air to the vent in the stock cooling plate to the intake? look at what is right under the placement of the factory opening....radiator....
On the 2.0 It uses a separate bumper scoop which leads to the sealed airbox. You’d be better off first sealing the radiator, then making a separate duct for the intake, if you’re dead set on using that location, preferably using a sealed airbox with no gaps.

I experimented for years trying to make that location work, but I found that heat soak always degraded performance eventually. The front fender I’ve found is far superior for the coldest possible air ala PRL Cobra.

Honda Civic 10th gen Track-Day/Aero Mod: DIY Cooling Plate FB9ADF5C-B39C-4A23-B180-67EB876BEC1D

scallywag502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic LX 2.0L CVT
Country flag
On the 2.0 It uses a separate bumper scoop which leads to the sealed airbox. You’d be better off first sealing the radiator, then making a separate duct for the intake, if you’re dead set on using that location, preferably using a sealed airbox with no gaps.

I experimented for years trying to make that location work, but I found that heat soak always degraded performance eventually. The front fender I’ve found is far superior for the coldest possible air ala PRL Cobra.

FB9ADF5C-B39C-4A23-B180-67EB876BEC1D.jpeg
Really interested in this thread/ creating cooler conditions. After installing the RV6 catless downpipe and aem short ram intake on my 2.0L, i've noticed some not terrible, but not preferable intake temps. I've long thought about extending the intake down to the lower fender instead of in the bay, and it seems you've done it. Have you a thread explaining how you did this? If not, I'd love some advice on doing this.
Thanks!

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
The stock grill flows fairly well and has somewhat of a seal on the bottom and sides, but is extremely lacking on the top of the radiator, where a large gap exists.
Really interested in this thread/ creating cooler conditions. After installing the RV6 catless downpipe and aem short ram intake on my 2.0L, i've noticed some not terrible, but not preferable intake temps.
Thanks!
Hold up- have ya'll not checked out one of these "high-airflow" aftermarket grills yet? Since I didn't see them being mentioned here yet (unless I missed something).

They are a significantly more open design compared to the restrictive stock grill. Here's an active thread regarding it:

https://www.civicx.com/threads/new-performance-grille-for-10th-gen-civics.16873/page-17

There should also be some cheaper ones on ebay, but I don't think they come with an emblem.

OP
OP
DarkLight

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
The problem with some of those aftermarket high flow grilles is that they do not align with the OEM cooling channels on the sides of the radiator, which is bad for aerodynamics, as much of the air is going move around the radiator and not through the cooling fins. My link expains why.

This results in reduced cooling efficiency and an increase in drag and lift. And the purpose of this modification is as much for aerodynamic improvement as it is for cooling efficiency.

I personally had one, and while it looked cool, it didn’t function as well as stock so I changed it out.

Honda Civic 10th gen Track-Day/Aero Mod: DIY Cooling Plate EEF38D12-F4C5-49F5-8E6F-80BE426649E9

scallywag502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic LX 2.0L CVT
Country flag
Hold up- have ya'll not checked out one of these "high-airflow" aftermarket grills yet? Since I didn't see them being mentioned here yet (unless I missed something).

They are a significantly more open design compared to the restrictive stock grill. Here's an active thread regarding it:

https://www.civicx.com/threads/new-performance-grille-for-10th-gen-civics.16873/page-17

There should also be some cheaper ones on ebay, but I don't think they come with an emblem.
I actually have already installed one, and it works great, and i have now decided to eventually install an intake hose from the bottom of my aem heat shield/airbox, leading down to the lower fender. Ill try to post pics when ive done this!
Sponsored