Car is faster in eco? Stick shift-

S7N57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
Country flag
Am I losing my mind or does the eco mode feel faster when enabled almost like they have the tune backwards on the 19 civic sport manual? Anyone else experiencing this?
Sponsored

phornea

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Manual
Country flag
Hi S7N57, that shouldn't be the case. I have a HB Touring Manual and the ECO mode makes a huge, very noticeable difference, but in the way it should, not how you describe it. When it's on (green leaf shows up in the dash) the throttle response is significantly toned down. I really have to press it down to feel the surge of the turbo kick in. Not the case when it's off, power feels a lot more immediate. Driving in ECO mode also feels smoother and more linear, at least when driving the car normally (not spirited) in day to day city traffic.

In addition to what I just mentioned, regarding overall feel, if I am accelerating and I press the ECO mode button on and off, while maintaining the accelerator pedal in the same position, i can actually notice the power/acceleration change immediately. And it is working the way it should be. ECO ON, power is reduced, ECO OFF and I immediately feel more power.
Maybe give this a shot and see if you feel the same thing.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
ECO makes my gas pedal feel heavier, that's about it.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Am I losing my mind or does the eco mode feel faster when enabled almost like they have the tune backwards on the 19 civic sport manual? Anyone else experiencing this?
You may accidentally push the Turbo mode, not Eco :lol:

rileyj98

First Name
riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe
Country flag
I don't think an ECO mode makes much sense on an MT. You have control of the gearing and throttle after all.
econ controls more then that, going up hills with cruise control on you will slightly slow down to save gas, slows fan speed and cabin cooling to save gas delays throttle input 20% all the way till 80% throttle to save gas but anything after is normal as if econ is off. now with a cvt trans it will do more to save gas

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
econ controls more then that, going up hills with cruise control on you will slightly slow down to save gas, slows fan speed and cabin cooling to save gas delays throttle input 20% all the way till 80% throttle to save gas but anything after is normal as if econ is off. now with a cvt trans it will do more to save gas
You are right.:thumbsup:

crxFITcivicBOY

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like throwing it into Econ mode every once in a while for half a day, and then immediately going back. It really makes you appreciate the car again lol

OP
OP
S7N57

S7N57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
Country flag
I dunno but the eco button feels like I’m pressing sport mode even though I don’t have a sport mode button and no I’m not trolling you guys I’m being completely serious. Maybe the manual eco doesn’t work the same as those of you with cvt?

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
I dunno but the eco button feels like I’m pressing sport mode even though I don’t have a sport mode button and no I’m not trolling you guys I’m being completely serious. Maybe the manual eco doesn’t work the same as those of you with cvt?
My eco absolutely makes the car more conservative as the other person stated. 2018 sport HB. Def not as fun as with it off. You can literally feel the gas pedal adjust when you turn eco on. A/C flow is also effected aswell

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As a former 6MT hatchback Sport owner, I can tell you that the eco button made the throttle pedal much less responsive, as @CVCTURBO said.

If you have a custom tune, however, you can make the eco button do whatever you want it to do.

OP
OP
S7N57

S7N57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
Country flag
I completely understand what the eco button does but it does completely the opposite. When I turn it off the car feels like a slug. I’m going to take it in to the dealer soon to see what’s going on. It’s not a bad thing but something obviously isn’t normal.

The only reason I’m asking about it here is because I just used it for the first time the other day and was like wtf ‍♂

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Deff not econ makes it a hell of lot slower and laggy throttle response

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OK. Dumb question. When you are pressing the Econ button are you sure you weren't already in Econ mode (green leaf light on the dash)? If you press Econ again, you actually are back in non-Econ mode (green light goes out). Just an idea.

The car will actually stay in Econ (green leaf on) even after you turn it off. So, if you start the car up and press Econ in that scenario, you actually are turning it off and the car feels faster.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

LightX

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I completely understand what the eco button does but it does completely the opposite. When I turn it off the car feels like a slug. I’m going to take it in to the dealer soon to see what’s going on. It’s not a bad thing but something obviously isn’t normal.

The only reason I’m asking about it here is because I just used it for the first time the other day and was like wtf ‍♂
turn on eco. drive press on throttle like 30% or so and then press eco mode. if it pulls, your eco is like everyone else. if you press 30% and turn off eco and feels car not rising in speed as before and slower, there's something wrong.
Sponsored