Big Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 ( Waiting )
Country flag
Japan Honda FK8 Civic Type R
Goal: Thermal Management build
Product: GRP Turbo Blanket and Downpipe Blanket.
Snag #1: Downpipe Blanket won’t fit around OEM Downpipe. We thought we could live without it cause it doesn’t have it anyway.

Snag #2: Turbo Blanket fits perfectly...but....OEM Heat Shield can’t be put back on. The Turbo Blanket blocks the top and bottom holes where it bolts down. The downpipe bolt on point is no problem.

The OEM Heat Shield is not really that big. However, we know it serves a major function, to keep that heat off away from sensors. I’m at crossroads. Here are a couple of pics that illustrate the problem.

I would really love some advice right now. It’s really hot under the bonnet. That downpipe is an oven.

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo Blanket / Downpipe Blanket...issues 07E2DB73-586A-43B5-81AC-1A1EF3138F1D

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo Blanket / Downpipe Blanket...issues BA307C65-A030-4BA6-8A46-DB0A27C1566C

whymi

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 si, 17 type r
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo Blanket / Downpipe Blanket...issues 20181229_161357
I believe the downpipe blanket is for THEIR downpipe, not OEM catted. As for the heat shield with the blanket, I was able to put 2 of the 3 bolts back on. It seems to fit securely with no rattles that I have noticed.

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo Blanket / Downpipe Blanket...issues 20181229_161416

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo Blanket / Downpipe Blanket...issues 20181229_161357

Simmons572

First Name
Regi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 RR FK8 R-37732, 96 Civic LX
Country flag
I am fairly certain the downpipe blanket is supposed to be utilized for an aftermarket high-flow cat or catless downpipe. Something like the RV6 or the PRL offerings.

Can't speak for the turbo blanket snag though.

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had to slightly roll the edge of the turbo blanket under itself to expose one of the holes for mounting the factory heat shield. I opted to keep the heat shield because even with a ceramic coated DP and turbo blanket, IAT temps were noticeably lower after reinstalling the heat shield than prior, when I was running without it for a couple of days.

OP
OP
SpinRush

SpinRush

First Name
Big Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 ( Waiting )
Country flag
20181229_161357.jpg
I believe the downpipe blanket is for THEIR downpipe, not OEM catted. As for the heat shield with the blanket, I was able to put 2 of the 3 bolts back on. It seems to fit securely with no rattles that I have noticed.

20181229_161416.jpg

20181229_161357.jpg
Thank you so much for responding so quickly. I contacted Graham Rahal Performance. They had experienced this problem with another Type R Owner. I went to the post office tonight to send it back to them.

I believe I will follow your method. Which 2 bolts were you able to get back in? Also, I will try to roll the edges just a bit. If can get at least 2 bolts in that will be a victory in my book. Then I can move on to better things.

I’m really not trying to “BOOST” this car. I’ve heard so much about heat sink issues so I decided to go with a thermal management build. I’m still waiting for my Seibon Front Grill which should give me a lot more air flow into that area.

Other snags I experienced were with the HKS SQV4 Blow off valve. It won’t fit with an Eventuri CAI. So I went with the Eventuri and put the BOV back in the box. The BOV piping was a problem. It had this stem attachment for the hose that would allow the CAI box to sit flat. Oh well.

Everything else seems to be going well. The new HKS exhaust is so good. The HKS Intercooler fit perfectly. 2 out of 3 is not bad.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Japan Honda FK8 Civic Type R
Goal: Thermal Management build
Product: GRP Turbo Blanket and Downpipe Blanket.
Snag #1: Downpipe Blanket won’t fit around OEM Downpipe. We thought we could live without it cause it doesn’t have it anyway.

Snag #2: Turbo Blanket fits perfectly...but....OEM Heat Shield can’t be put back on. The Turbo Blanket blocks the top and bottom holes where it bolts down. The downpipe bolt on point is no problem.

The OEM Heat Shield is not really that big. However, we know it serves a major function, to keep that heat off away from sensors. I’m at crossroads. Here are a couple of pics that illustrate the problem.

I would really love some advice right now. It’s really hot under the bonnet. That downpipe is an oven.

07E2DB73-586A-43B5-81AC-1A1EF3138F1D.jpeg

BA307C65-A030-4BA6-8A46-DB0A27C1566C.jpeg
That downpipe blanket is designed exclusive for the GRP high flow cated downpipe. The best solution buy the GRP downpipe, and you will get improvement over stock downpipe , quicker turbo spools up and in the future with a tuning solution better performance.

OP
OP
SpinRush

SpinRush

First Name
Big Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 ( Waiting )
Country flag
That downpipe blanket is designed exclusive for the GRP high flow cated downpipe. The best solution buy the GRP downpipe, and you will get improvement over stock downpipe , quicker turbo spools up and in the future with a tuning solution better performance.
Japan has to deal with car inspections and it may be a complication. More research is required on my end. What works overseas does not always pass inspection here in Japan. Thank you though for your advice.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
I have seen others mention that wrapping a catted factory dowpipe is not a good idea anyway..

OP
OP
SpinRush

SpinRush

First Name
Big Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 ( Waiting )
Country flag
I have seen others mention that wrapping a catted factory dowpipe is not a good idea anyway..
I concur. With that said, until HKS Japan produces a downpipe specifically for the Japan version of the FK8 ( Pass Certification ) I’ll leave it alone.

I’ve got a plan that I discussed with my mechanic. We are definitely going to get those IAT temps down.

OP
OP
SpinRush

SpinRush

First Name
Big Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 ( Waiting )
Country flag
The bolt just behind the radiator is the one i left off
I’m going to document the process in this thread over the next couple days.

Quick update: After doing a lot of research and getting some feedback we are moving forward again. Last night, my mechanic and I talked about possible solutions before I even got around to speaking with you guys. The turbo blanket looks so good and we really didn’t want to cover it up completely. We discussed cutting the heat shield slightly and painting it with heat resistant paint. Here’s a pic of what we did to heat shield.

We are going to get that heat shield back in.

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo Blanket / Downpipe Blanket...issues D4CFCEB9-0B5C-4253-B5FE-9BDAEFB5122F

elmerzasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
FWIW I just made a small hole in the turbo blanket for the third heatshield hole and mounted the heatshield with 3 bolts over the blanket.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Japan has to deal with car inspections and it may be a complication. More research is required on my end. What works overseas does not always pass inspection here in Japan. Thank you though for your advice.
You right, I haven think about it... The regulation there are restrictive like other states like California. To be honest whit you I don't think any high flow cated downpipe pass. The OEM catalytic converter is doble ceramic unit.

OP
OP
SpinRush

SpinRush

First Name
Big Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 ( Waiting )
Country flag
Quick update since I started talking about this project. This is where we are at so far.

We got the heat shield painted ( 3 coats top and bottom ). I think it looks better after cutting the heat shield. We got the Eventuri CAI installed again. Right now, the car is being polished and I’ll pick it up later today. I’ll take some pictures later.

The biggest problem was trying to fit the HKS SQ4 Blow Off Valve with the Eventuri CAI. It’s always after the fact that you find the solution. Evasive Motor Sports actually has an adaptor kit with a shorter rubber hose mounting. Plus, it comes with a separate mount so I can move the BOV further back. So that means, in a few weeks or so, I’ll have to take the airbox out again and reinstall the intercooler piping. What a pain!

We are having so much fun, aren’t we? Hopefully after that, we can get to tuning with Hondata. I want to get the turbo to spool up a little bit sooner. We’ll see. It’s not a high priority item.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post. Appreciate all the help.

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo Blanket / Downpipe Blanket...issues 71CA3978-24DC-4A37-A444-BEA3A512EB43

IHadToRun

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
Quick update since I started talking about this project. This is where we are at so far.

We got the heat shield painted ( 3 coats top and bottom ). I think it looks better after cutting the heat shield. We got the Eventuri CAI installed again. Right now, the car is being polished and I’ll pick it up later today. I’ll take some pictures later.

The biggest problem was trying to fit the HKS SQ4 Blow Off Valve with the Eventuri CAI. It’s always after the fact that you find the solution. Evasive Motor Sports actually has an adaptor kit with a shorter rubber hose mounting. Plus, it comes with a separate mount so I can move the BOV further back. So that means, in a few weeks or so, I’ll have to take the airbox out again and reinstall the intercooler piping. What a pain!

We are having so much fun, aren’t we? Hopefully after that, we can get to tuning with Hondata. I want to get the turbo to spool up a little bit sooner. We’ll see. It’s not a high priority item.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post. Appreciate all the help.

71CA3978-24DC-4A37-A444-BEA3A512EB43.jpeg
id love to see full engine bay photos when you get the chance!
Sponsored