Rear of the car rock, bounce, sway side to side after brake fluid flush job

raymondmit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Hello guys,
I recently flushed the brake fluid by myself.
But after that, I noticed that the rear of the car rock, bounce and sway side to side.
I first noticed it on the highway when a sudden shift to the right and back. then it became more of a side to side thing.

Does it have to do with the brake line with air bubbles? or it is something else.
Sponsored

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello guys,
I recently flushed the brake fluid by myself.
But after that, I noticed that the rear of the car rock, bounce and sway side to side.
I first noticed it on the highway when a sudden shift to the right and back. then it became more of a side to side thing.

Does it have to do with the brake line with air bubbles? or it is something else.
I am not an experienced mechanic but I would say to look at the rear sway bar and end links. The brake fluid should have nothing to do with the handling of the car.

lexro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2006, Civic Sedan Sport 2019, Type R 2021
Country flag
I'm assuming the wheels were removed from the car. I would check to make sure the lugs are torqued down properly.
are you suggesting a loose wheel? that sounds terrifying af.

OP
OP

raymondmit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Would it be possible to be caused by calipers being stuck to that the friction of the pad made the pulling?

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
are you suggesting a loose wheel? that sounds terrifying af.
Yes, happened to two people I know, both almost lost it on the highway doing 80.. never trusted Sears Auto.

Would it be possible to be caused by calipers being stuck to that the friction of the pad made the pulling?
Yes it can.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
X2 on checking the lugnuts tight. It's the one thing you definitely disturbed. The mentioned suspension components next.

The only other thing I'd add that hasn't been mentioned, look at your rear shocks. One time, albeit on an older car, I randomly had a shock absorber fail when it was jacked up. I'd look at that too... mainly by looking and seeing is there's oil leaking around the shaft of the shock. If it still seems ok, you know your end links are tight and lug nuts are tight, but you go over a speed bump and the rear end is unsorted, I'd still think the dampener is suspect. It is pretty unlikely though... especially on a newer car.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
This can also happen with air still in the lines of one caliper, but that's in the extreme case of loss of brakes on one side of the wheel. Vehicle will "pull" to the right or left. But I'm guessing yours has to do with the wheel.
Make sure their torqued to 92 lbs ft. Get a 20 buck torque wrench from Harbor Frright it's well worth it...
Sponsored