TPMS light comes on when pressures are too high?

todda

2018 Aegean blue CTR 14103
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean blue Type R; 2011 Subaru WRX limited; 2003 Acura RSX-S were previous vehicles
Country flag
Last week I was driving somewhat spiritedly in 70 degree temps here in SoCal, and my TPMS warning light came on and showed low pressures, which I thought was due to a nail. I immediately took the car to Discount Tire, whom I have huge faith in, and the employee looked at all 4 tires and the pressures were at 37 PSI all around. No nail was found.

The same thing happened to me 2 days later too, and I took a quick look at the tires and could not find anything--I have driven it for about 3 days since and do not feel any difference in how it handles, and the TPMS light has not come back on.

Have any of you ever had this happen?
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Last week I was driving somewhat spiritedly in 70 degree temps here in SoCal, and my TPMS warning light came on and showed low pressures, which I thought was due to a nail. I immediately took the car to Discount Tire, whom I have huge faith in, and the employee looked at all 4 tires and the pressures were at 37 PSI all around. No nail was found.

The same thing happened to me 2 days later too, and I took a quick look at the tires and could not find anything--I have driven it for about 3 days since and do not feel any difference in how it handles, and the TPMS light has not come back on.

Tire pressure should be measured from cold, I'm betting they were measured hot when you checked them. Let the car cool down for a least a couple hours (or overnight) and check them. They should be 35 front 33 rears. The TMPS light also has a tendency to throw false positives.

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I have had this happen to me. I live in northern IL and took a trip down to southern IL in the fall of '17. On the day of my trip it was cool at home, like 45, and when I got closer to the south it was near 80 degrees out. I was driving about 80MPH down the interstate and my TPMS light came on. I stopped and a gas station to check my tires and of course they didnt have a gauge on the air hose and I didn't have one with me. I put some air in and got back on the road. Once I arrived at my destination I found a dealership and had it checked out. My tires were over pressure and was told that was the reason the light came on. They adjusted the pressures, reset my TPMS, and I was on my way. I had no more issues with it the rest of my trip. Needless to say, I bought a pressure gauge that stays in the glovebox for future trips.

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
Look up tpms i left a comment on what can be done to stop the tpms from coming on if doesn't stop no matter what psi , its not a calibrations issue its programing the system to stop the system from triggering the light has to be done with a scan tool i did with my luanch x431 which can see and program the system .

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Buy a tire gauge and keep it in the glovebox. Check pressures as soon as allowable once the light is triggered to see if you have an issue. If throwing false positives, see above for how to fix. At minimum, try recalibrating after manually checking.

ayeitsmikko

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This just happened to me today.

The sudden temperature change between a week from 40F-60Fs to 50F-80F may have caused my TPMS to go off. We have had those cold temps for nearly 3 weeks, only now it started to get warm. I have a TPMS reader that reads the PSI of each tire and while driving on the freeway today, I saw the front two at 37 and the rear two at 35. I was wondering why it went off because normally they sit at 33 front and 32 rear. I dropped off my friend at his place and reset the TPMS and within 7 minutes the low pressure light came back on.

Going to have to do the 3 recalibration method tomorrow morning to hopefully fix this. This indirect system is just a hassle to deal with.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
This just happened to me today.

The sudden temperature change between a week from 40F-60Fs to 50F-80F may have caused my TPMS to go off. We have had those cold temps for nearly 3 weeks, only now it started to get warm. I have a TPMS reader that reads the PSI of each tire and while driving on the freeway today, I saw the front two at 37 and the rear two at 35. I was wondering why it went off because normally they sit at 33 front and 32 rear. I dropped off my friend at his place and reset the TPMS and within 7 minutes the low pressure light came back on.

Going to have to do the 3 recalibration method tomorrow morning to hopefully fix this. This indirect system is just a hassle to deal with.
Set your tire pressures *cold* then do a calibration. That should deal with the issue. Though the pressures should be 35 front and 33 rear. If you do do this, then you will need to do a full one reset (3x calibration).

ayeitsmikko

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Set your tire pressures *cold* then do a calibration. That should deal with the issue. Though the pressures should be 35 front and 33 rear. If you do do this, then you will need to do a full one reset (3x calibration).
Thanks for your input. Will try that later tonight or tomorrow morning. My wheel and tire setup isn't OEM for my Si, well it's close to it. I'm running 18x8.5 35 with 235/40R18.

Out of curiosity, is the 35 front and 33 rear your Type R's "OEM" spec? The spec on my Si door handle is 33F and 32R.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Thanks for your input. Will try that later tonight or tomorrow morning. My wheel and tire setup isn't OEM for my Si, well it's close to it. I'm running 18x8.5 35 with 235/40R18.

Out of curiosity, is the 35 front and 33 rear your Type R's "OEM" spec? The spec on my Si door handle is 33F and 32R.
Fuck, I didn’t realize you were in an Si, sorry about that! Yeah, follow what’s in your door. Type R is 35/33 (likely due to the heavier chassis). Do 33/32 as your door says to do. The TPMS in these cars is annoying AF though. But you need to set the tires cold in order for it to recalibrate properly.

Normally what I do when the tire light goes off is that I check the pressures to make sure nothing is actually flat and outrageously crazy. Then I’ll check all the pressures the following morning, set them and recalibrate. The light normally comes on twice a year during the spring and fall, unless the temps drop ridiculously low or I get new tires.

ayeitsmikko

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Fuck, I didn’t realize you were in an Si, sorry about that! Yeah, follow what’s in your door. Type R is 35/33 (likely due to the heavier chassis). Do 33/32 as your door says to do. The TPMS in these cars is annoying AF though. But you need to set the tires cold in order for it to recalibrate properly.

Normally what I do when the tire light goes off is that I check the pressures to make sure nothing is actually flat and outrageously crazy. Then I’ll check all the pressures the following morning, set them and recalibrate. The light normally comes on twice a year during the spring and fall, unless the temps drop ridiculously low or I get new tires.
lol you’re good. I calibrated it this morning like you said and so far I had no issues to and from work. Had to drive 10 miles on the street to pick up my coworker on the way and then did about 30 miles freeway. The pressure was just 1 off the recommended PSI because it was colder this morning (around 40F) Temps today was the same from yesterday (70-80F) but the PSI on my tires were similar to yesterday 37F 35R after driving.

Hopefully I’m good for a while. A bit paranoid because I had a broken bead issue with my LR tire since they were installed.

Side note: low key jealous of your Type R. Would have gotten one but they were marked up like crazy when I was in the market for a newer car.

ayeitsmikko

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

The TPMS sensor went off again. Ugh well I have an appointment with Honda for an oil change so I’m going to have them take a look at it. It’s weird because my tires are all within pressure range. Quite frustrating.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The TPMS sensor went off again. Ugh well I have an appointment with Honda for an oil change so I’m going to have them take a look at it. It’s weird because my tires are all within pressure range. Quite frustrating.
Set them then recalibrate 3x with like 8-10 seconds between each one. Tire light should flash in the dash. This should reset them.

ayeitsmikko

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Set them then recalibrate 3x with like 8-10 seconds between each one. Tire light should flash in the dash. This should reset them.
I did that before hand before this TPMS went off. It went well for the first week. But I’ll leave the light on before my appointment so Honda can do what they need to do.
Thanks though!
Sponsored