Still have warranty, what mods can I do?

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
If you're worried about warranty work an intake changes sensor position and readings and now you're using a non-oem housing and 100% they could claim an engine failure like a rod thru the block is due to the different intake. I would also venture to say that the oem airbox isn't a restriction anyways.

A drop in air filter is a consumable and there's almost no chance of having an issue with using whatever you want there as long as it attempts to filter the air.

basically if you're screwing with programming or sensors you're going to get denied. anything a bushing touches may get denied as well due to "increased NVH outside of design criteria"
you can always put the stock intake back on the car and take it into the shop before trying to make a claim, secondly i've never heard of a CAI causing a rod to be thrown through the block.
Sponsored

Pepper's Dad

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si 2000 Honda Civic Ex 2007 Lincoln Towncar
Country flag
you need to be extremely well versed in the magnusson moss warranty act in order to basically do whatever you want and not worry. generally simple things like drop in air filter, catback exhaust, wheels/tires wont cause an issue. GENERALLY is the key word.
I did a cat back change on a 99 z28 camaro once and a chevy dealer refused to service car for minor warrenty problem that had nothing to do with the exhaust or engine.

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I wish people would stop claiming that the dealer has to prove it voids the warranty. It's true, but it's like half of the story.
Step 1 - Install mods (say a tune for the purpose of this example).
Step 2 - Totally unrelated to the tune (you think), there is a defect in the engine, it throws a rod, destroys the block.
Step 3 - take it to dealer. Yup, you need a new engine.
Step 4 - Dealer finds out you are tuned (yes, you can probably hide it, but for these purposes, let's say you didn't).
Step 5 - Dealer denies warranty claim - you were tuned. All they have to do is CLAIM that this was the reason the engine blew.
Step 6 - You bitch at the dealer, they still deny warranty claim. (obviously, it's not absolute, they could fold, but if we're asking about the dangers, let's say they don't).
Step 7 - You threaten to hire a lawyer, they still deny claim.
Step 8 - You hire a lawyer. Lots of phone calls and money up front to get this done. Figure about 3K out of pocket minimum.
Step 9 - Lawyer writes a letter demanding repair. They still deny (you find out a month later).
Step 10 - Lawyer files lawsuit 2 months after you get denial letter.
Step 11 - They have to be served and have an opportunity to respond. That's another 45-60 days.
Step 12 - they file motion to dismiss claiming mandatory arbitration. They lose, but it still takes 60 days minimum.
Step 13 - fight in court, finally get a bench trial date 60 days out (all told, 120 days including the fighting).
Step 14 - first trial date delayed, discovery issues. Set status 60 days out. Pay lawyer more money.
Step 15 - status hearing, set new trial date.
Step 16 - Trial. You probably win, but no guarantee! You get a check for the cost of the engine repair plus lawyer fees. All told, you're about $3k ahead!

Except wait. You've also been without a car for 3 years minimum. You aren't paid for your time - and trust me, you've used a LOT of time by this point. Sure, the dealership could just sign off on the claim, but don't pretend there's no danger here.
This is exactly what people should be aware of. It's not just a matter of stating the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act to the dealer. You are essentially taking a risk if you perform any mods. If my car happened to catch on fire, they could blame it on my aftermarket led bulbs if they wanted to.

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR, 2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been thinking about what mods to do/ the order that I want to them in since I got my Si about a month ago. I've read probably every thread on here (and on some other websites) regarding modifications and there's a ton of varying opinions on the topic. Some people are against modifying at all, others feel more confident in taking the risk/ driving responsibly with the modifications and don't worry about it much. At the end of the day, any performance enhancing modification is a risk (some more than others). We fortunately can make more educated decisions on specific modifications based on the experiences that other people, just like us, have had with those exact mods- and we have a one stop shop for pretty much any and all the information you can handle right here on this website. I've been in the contemplation boat for a bit now, but based on my research/ discussions with members and sponsored companies, I'm going to be going for the TSP stage 1 tune on KTuner (most people will agree that this is the best mod that 400$ can buy you), PRL stage 1 intake (with dry filter- unless theres a big time sale on 27won CAI), tints, amsoil synchromesh and probably some acuity shifter upgrades. No modification in itself voids the warranty, and there's no definitive answer on whether or not damage will or won't be covered with modifications present. As gt stated above, if warranty is your main concern, don't do any performance mods just to cut out that risk completely, but it really comes down to your comfort with doing them and how you drive/ treat your car with the mods.
I would highly suggest an intercooler and a tune as your first upgrades, you can use a drop in filter that will yield the same result unless you really just want some engine bay bling or a nice WOOSH sound. Tune, Clutch and intercooler. Then if youre looking for lbs for lbs i would go in this order, 27won/PRL Big turbo upgrade as it will move your powerband and take some strain off the tranny, then I would go Down-pipe and front pipe, as you will be losing airflow with those, then Exhuast, then CAI. The stock airbox and Exhuast on the Si's honestly are really good and no true reason to upgrade them except for sound or bling. So again in this order
1.Tune
2.Clutch
3.Intercooler
4.BigTurboUpgrade (27won over PRL based on cost and driveability, PRL if you want to win on the drag strip)
5.Downpipe
6.Frontpipe
7.Exhuast
8.Intake
After these then you can do your shifter upgrades, guages, quality of life (springs, sways, bling etc)
I think most people would agree with me. Also the first 3 will improve quality of life there is no possible way the Intercooler upgrade will void ANYTHING, It literally is something honda wouldve done themselves and have, if it wouldnt raise the price so damn much.
Also too try to use the same service advisor and technician everytime, get in good with them most advisors and techs tune their own cars, and think bolt ons are cool ( I work for a dealership and my service manager green lit all my bolt ons and I had a tech install all of them) just keep your stock parts and your stock tune, and swap it back to stock if you blow it up but if you do everything in the order i have suggested and dont abuse it or Over tune it and drive with in the cars capabilities (Dont tune over X if your clutch can only hold Y.) and then wonder why your flywheel broke your crank or something stupid like that.

Happy tuning and remember Its cool to have a fast car Its not cool to blow it up on the high way, so tune responsibly.

schrisi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Si
Country flag
Happy tuning and remember Its cool to have a fast car Its not cool to blow it up on the high way, so tune responsibly.
Is that only a concern if you've tuned your car? Do the default settings have some safeguards to prevent you from going past a certain RPM? Then the tune will remove those safeguards?

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
First...Ktuner with TSP Stg1, Prl Stg1 intake and drop in filter
Then...Intercooler upgrade
Next...DP, FP, Clutch, optional e85 upgrade
Then just enjoy

Anything past that and you are looking at minimal gains vs the cost of parts and labor.

When and if the turbo needs replacing, then considering an upgrade makes sense

H3llsp4wn707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrx
Country flag
Its real simple- if the modification cause your car to run outside the stock Honda programmed parameters by changing the fuel, air, timing or any ecu settings- that will be 100% cause for warranty denial on your motor. The Magnuson Act was put in place so third party companies can see you parts. It has 0 to do with being able to modify the motor to run different than stock

H3llsp4wn707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrx
Country flag
Also too try to use the same service advisor and technician everytime, get in good with them most advisors and techs tune their own cars, and think bolt ons are cool ( I work for a dealership and my service manager green lit all my bolt ons and I had a tech install all of them) just keep your stock parts and your stock tune, and swap it back to stock if you blow it up but if you do everything in the order i have suggested and dont abuse it or Over tune it and drive with in the cars capabilities (Dont tune over X if your clutch can only hold Y.) and then wonder why your flywheel broke your crank or something stupid like that.

The mechanics aren't idiots, they will know you replaced all those parts. It doesn't matter if you put them all back- The bolts are PAINTED and MARKED they will know if they've been tampered with! If you modify the motor and blow it up be prepared for your warranty claim to be denied. I dont care what anyone "says''. Your service advisor isn't going to be able to just order a brand new motor lol you think Honda just hands those out no questions asked when they have one of their brand new turbo motors fail? Youre living in a fantasy world.

Last edited:

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The mechanics aren't idiots, they will know you replaced all those parts. It doesn't matter if you put them all back- The bolts are PAINTED and MARKED they will know if they've been tampered with! If you modify the motor and blow it up be prepared for your warranty claim to be denied. I dont care what anyone "says''. Your service advisor isn't going to be able to just order a brand new motor lol you think Honda just hands those out no questions asked when they have one of their brand new turbo motors fail? Youre living in a fantasy world.
It was more of a joke the chances of someone blowing it up on bolt ons are slim to none, if you stay within the preinstalled tunes you will be fine, what i meant was that an Intercooler that drops the IAT2s 40* is not going to be the cause of a failure, a clutch upgrade is not going to cause the motor to spin a bearing, the painted bolts are for torque spec not for tampering, I was a Heavy duty diesel mechanic for a few years before i decided to sell cars rather then fix them we worked on Gliders all the time, a Cold Air intake is not going to cause the fueling system to fail if installed correctly. These motors are bullet proof under 350hp I gave people a list to work through for practical reasons, obviously if you swap the turbo and run E85 and blow it up that is your own fault. Notice in my list Fueling, Nitrous, Meth are not any of my suggestions as those will cause it to fail.

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is that only a concern if you've tuned your car? Do the default settings have some safeguards to prevent you from going past a certain RPM? Then the tune will remove those safeguards?
yes, yes, and no, you can tune to remove safeguards if you are inexperianced and dont know what they mean. Always have professional tune your car. A standard rule of thumb if you have to ask or the question "I wonder what this will do... etc" passes through your mind chances are you shouldn't do it.

Last edited:

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Your only mod under warranty should be gas... lol jk

Exhaust system would be great and shouldn’t void warranty. KN drop in filter might be good too.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
It's been reported that Honda's EDR can sense any alterations to the factory parameters. So if an engine grenades, it's likely that Honda's Regional Rep/Engineer is going to want to take a look. If they see any changes to boost limits, for example, that's reason alone to deny warranty coverage. It's also pretty easy to see when an intake or other hard part has been tampered with. And they've already denied several owners based on a stored "overrev" code that cannot be erased.

Our 2016-2018 Si motors are now covered for a full 6 years, unlimited miles. So if you plan to mod before then, got to pay to play. :cool:

Ron R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I just kept it simple, drop in airfilter and Cat-Back exhaust. Other mods have been comestic i.e. Red Honda Badges, Mugen Shift Knob and Red HFP Mats.

I put miles on my last 2 cars and want to maintain the warranty. Also compared to my last car '15 Hyundai Elantra Sport, the SI is fast enough for me:)