Cracked Windshield

branden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing
Country flag
Hi everyone this is my first post on this forum. I have a 2016 EX-T sedan with sensing in modern steel. I am very happy with the car so far, but the one issue I'm having is with the windshield cracking. I bought the car in March and had to replace the windshield after 2 days because of a 7" crack on the passenger side from a small chip. I have had this windshield for about a month now and already have another, even bigger, crack that is about a foot long.
Honda Civic 10th gen Cracked Windshield tumblr_o7ad3bHeIu1s3sptwo2_1280

There is a small scrape near the crack, but I've never seen a windshield crack like this from this little damage. I have had cars that are 15+ years old with the original windshield, and none of them take damage like this.
Honda Civic 10th gen Cracked Windshield tumblr_o7ad3bHeIu1s3sptwo1_1280

Safelite would not warranty because of the scrape. Was this really caused by a rock or is it a defect in the glass? Is anyone else having similar problems with their windshields?

Kokuryu2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe, 2016 HRV
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone this is my first post on this forum. I have a 2016 EX-T sedan with sensing in modern steel. I am very happy with the car so far, but the one issue I'm having is with the windshield cracking. I bought the car in March and had to replace the windshield after 2 days because of a 7" crack on the passenger side from a small chip. I have had this windshield for about a month now and already have another, even bigger, crack that is about a foot long.

There is a small scrape near the crack, but I've never seen a windshield crack like this from this little damage. I have had cars that are 15+ years old with the original windshield, and none of them take damage like this.

Safelite would not warranty because of the scrape. Was this really caused by a rock or is it a defect in the glass? Is anyone else having similar problems with their windshields?
The windshield in my coupe cracked from a fairly small rock chip on the upper portion of the windshield. It looks like it is around the same spot that killed your windshield too. I could tell that a rock hit mine, but I didn't hear any impact at the time, I only heard a faint cracking sound and looked up to see a cracked forming and growing.

It was a very expensive replacement and I'm looking at changing my insurance for more glass coverage since this may be a common issue with these new civics. I haven't even made my first payment yet and that windshield was far more expensive than the payments that's for sure.

irockash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
Mine has a crack in roughly the same spot... I wonder how common this issue really is.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost for your windshield replacement?

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Tacoma, 16' Civic Touring
Country flag
I have a small chip in my window that hasn't turned into a crack yet. I saw the stone fly up and cause the damage.

Assuming aftermarket windows are not available yet so you got oem glass installed?

beanie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic

I had a small pebble hit my windshield at driving speed of 35 mph. Hit low in front of drivers side. Crack propagated up and halfway across windshield. I am surprised this crack happened from such a small hit. Had windshield replaced by Safelite for approx $850.

skullan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda LX (6MT), formerly a 2006 Hyundai Accent.
Country flag
I had a small pebble hit my windshield at driving speed of 35 mph. Hit low in front of drivers side. Crack propagated up and halfway across windshield. I am surprised this crack happened from such a small hit. Had windshield replaced by Safelite for approx $850.
How long between the chip and the crack? Did you leave it and let it get worse, or was it immediate?

OP
OP
branden

branden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing
Country flag
If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost for your windshield replacement?
It was replaced through insurance for $100. The guy from Safelite said the windshield was $1600 without insurance.

Edit: Honda OEM windshield. No aftermarket windshields available yet.

OP
OP
branden

branden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing
Country flag
How long between the chip and the crack? Did you leave it and let it get worse, or was it immediate?
It was at least a few days. I went to drive the car and saw the crack appeared.

kiddmit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Civic LX, 2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I have the same issue with my civic ex-t. A rock less than a cm hit the windshield at the right corner, causing a star that eventually became a crack. I repaired it so its less noticeable, but it's still there. I would want to replace the windshield, but it cost anywhere $600 and up atm. I think I might have to wait until aftermarket windshields are available for $200 or less.

singjai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Wow, same crack today in the same spot. Should save this thread for when I go into the dealership on Saturday.

anthonyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
I had a rock hit the lower right hand corner of mine and cause a rock chip. I do remember the rock hitting, but it wasn't all that dramatic. I had it repaired the following day, it was below freezing and I was concerned the chip would turn into a crack. So far no further issues.

I had much worse sounding rock hits in my old Civic and never even had a chip, so I was somewhat surprised to see a chip on what seemed to be an insignificant hit.

I wonder if Honda has gone with perhaps a weaker/lighter windshield to save weight and gain mpg's?

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
Very similar issue here. 2016 Civic Touring. Took very small rock hit near the sensor/mirror block, the chipped part is so tiny and shallow that it did not look like anything that should cause a crack, but it sure did. The crack ran all the way around the sensor block and all the way down the passenger side of the window. I've been driving for over 30 years and have never had a crack, now I get a new Civic and within a couple months the windshield is completely ruined from what appears to be only a pebble impact. Very frustrating. My insurance will cover it (minus $250 deductable) but they say if it's over $1000, my rates will go up because of it.

Starting to get suspicious there is something fishy here. Of course it will be impossible to ever prove it's technically a defect, since the window DID get hit by something. But I've seen much, much bigger impacts (including much larger, deeper, chips) not result in a running crack.

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
So apparently windshield glass for this car is backordered by at least 6 months from Honda (so I'm told by the glass guy, who got it from Honda). Really making me suspicious (along with this thread) that there is a defect in the windshield Honda isn't telling anyone about, and they had to re-design it. If not, they've done a piss-poor job of inventory management for this model.

Really think this is the last time I buy the first model year of a new design. I love 90% of this car, but the other 10% is getting annoying.

MichaelC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Rocks are apparently attracted to new cars. I had gone years without a windshield chip/crack, and immediately after buying my 2012 Civic, I got hit, and the crack rapidly grew. Replaced the windshield (because by then the crack was too big to fix), and within days it was hit again. But then that was the end of it... several years passed with no further hits, until a few weeks ago (days after buying the 2016) I noticed a small chip (didn't hear any impact... it may have been there before I took delivery), and then again yesterday afternoon I got hit (got it repaired this morning). Hopefully no more.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed a chip on the lower passenger side of the windshield the other day, and the crack is starting to spread a tiny bit. I'm sure once it gets cold it will spread with a quickness.
I do mostly highway so I'm sure something kicked up a rock at me. This is why I like the smoke color bug deflectors, because they also deflect rocks up over the roof. On any car I've had a bug deflector on I've never had a cracked windshield
Sponsored