Running Honda Hack via Bluetooth?

Chreestafer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Ex
Country flag
I'm new to the Civic world, so hello everyone!

I have a new 2019 pearl sonic grey civic hatchback ex. Doing my own research for playing things like YouTube and what not via the head unit lead me to obtaining Honda Hack.

So my question is this. Obviously you need some sort of connection to run the apps. Either connectconto wifi by home or via my androids tethering. However I dont have hotspot on my phone. Is there a way to run the apps via Honda hack with using my data plan via bluetooth?

Again I'm new this so I'm a greenhorn in all aspects.

Thanks!
Sponsored

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan
Country flag

I have a new 2019 pearl sonic grey civic hatchback ex. Doing my own research for playing things like YouTube and what not via the head unit lead me to obtaining Honda Hack.

So my question is this. Obviously you need some sort of connection to run the apps. Either connectconto wifi by home or via my androids tethering. However I dont have hotspot on my phone. Is there a way to run the apps via Honda hack with using my data plan via bluetooth?

Thanks!
You can install Apps with a USB drive easy enough, but if there’s any app you want to run that uses data, you’ll need either a tethered phone or WiFi hotspot set up.

I see people use certain OBD2 vehicle info monitors that will work via WiFi, so that may be something you can take advantage of.

Does your car have the new embedded hotspot? ATT offers something silly, like $20-$25 a month for unlimited data in your car. I have a 2016, so no hotspot, but att is offering the Harman Spark, which also has unlimited data for $25-$30 a month.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag

Thanks!
You can install Apps with a USB drive easy enough, but if there’s any app you want to run that uses data, you’ll need either a tethered phone or WiFi hotspot set up.

I see people use certain OBD2 vehicle info monitors that will work via WiFi, so that may be something you can take advantage of.

Does your car have the new embedded hotspot? ATT offers something silly, like $20-$25 a month for unlimited data in your car. I have a 2016, so no hotspot, but att is offering the Harman Spark, which also has unlimited data for $25-$30 a month.
A few points of detail

Yes, you can install Apps via the USB Drive .. but the difficulty is getting the Apps you want onto the drive in the 1st place. I do not believe there is an easy way to get apps from the Google Play Store, to download direct to your PC's USB drive.
(if there is PLEASE SHARE, and I will owe you Big Time !!)

One of the big advantages of getting Apps from the Play Sore is that they are thoroughly checked by Google for Trojans etc... Downloading suspect apps to your ROOTED Honda Hacked head Unit can potentially be very dangerous.

You car does have WiFi, so if you can make a wifi connection (typically to your home wifi), you have Internet on your Honda Hacked unit, and can download from Playstore.

BUT

Loading all the Play-store & Google Services on your Head Unit may not be the smartest thing to do, as most say it will slow down, your already slow, Honda head Unit.

What Phone do you have that cannot provide a Wifi Hotspot ? Are you 100% sure it cannot ?

The ATT type Wireless Modem is an option at $20-$25 / month, (Other Wireless networks have similar devices) but that will use on of your two precious USB ports.

If you phone really cannot provide a Hot Spot, then maybe it's time to think about a newer phone... most Smartphones have been able to do Hot Spots for the at least the past 5-6 years !!! Your phone must be quite old/slow .. you would greatly benefit from a faster phone if you want to use it with Android Auto in the car ... and just in general as a phone.

---
On a more positive note, this is what I do.

I do not install the Google Play or Google services on my Honda hacked head unit.

If I want an app form the Google store, I 1st Install it to my Smartphone, and check it out to make sure it is really is something I want to put on the Honda. The less thing loaded on the Honda the better, to stop it slowing down !!

If I then decide I want the app, I transfer it from my Smartphone to a USB drive ( use an APP exporting App), and the install it to the Head unit from that drive.

I keep a dedicated USB Drive for all the Apps I load onto the Honda, so I have a backup, especially if I want to temporarily Uninstall Honda Hack, and then want to re-install everything again .. I have all the EXTRA apps I need on the USB Drive.

Is not complicated, just takes a little time, WHICH IS GOOD. It stops me being tempted to just load a whole lot of Junk on the head Unit.
If you Screw Up the Head unit, it may be a lot more difficult to RESET it back to factory configuration, than say your Smartphone.

Screw up your Smartphone, your Wireless provider will help you :)

Screw up your "Honda Hacked" Honda Head unit, and your Dealer will 99% of the time NOT help you, apart from charging you full price++ to install a new Head Unit !! NO WARRANTY on a Honda Hacked Head Unit. :(

Last edited:
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
A few points of detail

Yes, you can install Apps via the USB Drive .. but the difficulty is getting the Apps you want onto the drive in the 1st place. I do not believe there is an easy way to get apps from the Google Play Store, to download direct to your PC's USB drive.
(if there is PLEASE SHARE, and I will owe you Big Time !!)

One of the big advantages of getting Apps from the Play Sore is that they are thoroughly checked by Google for Trojans etc... Downloading suspect apps to your ROOTED Honda Hacked head Unit can potentially be very dangerous.

You car does have WiFi, so if you can make a wifi connection (typically to your home wifi), you have Internet on your Honda Hacked unit, and can download from Playstore.

BUT

Loading all the Play-store & Google Services on your Head Unit may not be the smartest thing to do, as most say it will slow down, your already slow, Honda head Unit.

What Phone do you have that cannot provide a Wifi Hotspot ? Are you 100% sure it cannot ?

The ATT type Wireless Modem is an option at $20-$25 / month, (Other Wireless networks have similar devices) but that will use on of your two precious USB ports.

If you phone really cannot provide a Hot Spot, then maybe it's time to think about a newer phone... most Smartphones have been able to do Hot Spots for the at least the past 5-6 years !!! Your phone must be quite old/slow .. you would greatly benefit from a faster phone if you want to use it with Android Auto in the car ... and just in general as a phone.

---
On a more positive note, this is what I do.

I do not install the Google Play or Google services on my Honda hacked head unit.

If I want an app form the Google store, I 1st Install it to my Smartphone, and check it out to make sure it is really is something I want to put on the Honda. The less thing loaded on the Honda the better, to stop it slowing down !!

If I then decide I want the app, I transfer it from my Smartphone to a USB drive ( use an APP exporting App), and the install it to the Head unit from that drive.

I keep a dedicated USB Drive for all the Apps I load onto the Honda, so I have a backup, especially if I want to temporarily Uninstall Honda Hack, and then want to re-install everything again .. I have all the EXTRA apps I need on the USB Drive.

Is not complicated, just takes a little time, WHICH IS GOOD. It stops me being tempted to just load a whole lot of Junk on the head Unit.
If you Screw Up the Head unit, it may be a lot more difficult to RESET it back to factory configuration, than say your Smartphone.

Screw up your Smartphone, your Wireless provider will help you :)

Screw up your "Honda Hacked" Honda Head unit, and your Dealer will 99% of the time NOT help you, apart from charging you full price++ to install a new Head Unit !! NO WARRANTY on a Honda Hacked Head Unit. :(
great info here, thanks for sharing. Just wanted to note the Harman Spark offered through ATT doesn't use a USB port, so its a great option if you don't have the newer embedded wifi. I just wanted to ash you a question, seeing as you're way more knowledgable with android systems compared to me lol.

I want to store maps for Sygic on a USB and have it mounted in the center console. I can't seem to figure out how to do this. I installed Sygic via the Honda Hack, then downloaded the 3 states I frequent. Then went into Sygic's settings to see if there was the option to transfer the app to SD, and there isn't. Do I need to install a file management app in order to do this?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag

Thanks!
great info here, thanks for sharing. Just wanted to note the Harman Spark offered through ATT doesn't use a USB port, so its a great option if you don't have the newer embedded wifi. I just wanted to ash you a question, seeing as you're way more knowledgable with android systems compared to me lol.

I want to store maps for Sygic on a USB and have it mounted in the center console. I can't seem to figure out how to do this. I installed Sygic via the Honda Hack, then downloaded the 3 states I frequent. Then went into Sygic's settings to see if there was the option to transfer the app to SD, and there isn't. Do I need to install a file management app in order to do this?
Well, if you really want to get into trouble with Honda Hack, Install a file manager ( why not a ROOT file manager -- may as well live on the edge !!!). Just be aware, that you can really mess things up if you move certain files about , without being 100% sure of what you are doing !!

But you should not have to move anything :-

Transfer the APP to SD ???? Thought you wanted to move the Maps to a USB Drive
For 3 maps, you should have plenty of room on the Head Unit's Flash .. its the RAM that is in shorty supply on the unit .. especially if you start running too many apps at the same time.

Tip: Don't go crazy, and d/l all the maps for all of the USA .. just get the ones you really need, and if you are going to travel outside that area, just add the one you really need. The Flash is not THAT BIG !!!

I am not that familiar with Sygic, I installed it once, did not like it, so removed it.
I suspect, BEFORE you download the maps, or when you start to, it hopefully will ask you where you want to store them.
Might be easier to do it that way, rather than download them to some place, and then have to move them AND tell Sygic where you you move them to.

You have Sysic installed on the head Unit.
You had Sysic download the 3 maps. It know where they are -- why not just leave well alone, and not tie up one of your 2 valuable USB ports, just to hold some maps !!.

I use one for the Phone, and the one in the center compartment for a (Fat32) 64Gb USB Drive with a lot of my ripped CD music on it. If I feel like something different, I can use Spotify, Amazon Music (Amazon Prime member), or Google Music.
There is absolutely no way, these days, that you cannot listen to what ever you want, where ever you want !!!

Personally, I like Google map. Once you get past knowing that Google Knows where you are and where you are going (Hell, they know just about everything else about you !!), I like the interface, the map designs & colors, and above all, being able to just talk to it, and having the Power of a great big Supercomputer at Google, understand what I am saying, and be my "Virtual Assistant" when I am out on the road.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Chreestafer

Chreestafer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Ex
Country flag
Thank you everyone for all the advice. I've already downloaded all the apps I want to my head unit, and honestly there is very little lag if any at all. I only wanted it for mainly YouTube and a few other apps like Funimation (whichbof course isnt compatible)

So I've already hooked it up to my house wifi in my driveway. I have a Galaxy Note 8 via ATT, and it gives me the option to use tether/hotspot. Yet when I click it, it says my plan doesnt offer that and I'm not really looking to spend 20/month just to watch YouTube via my head unit in the gym parking lot while I wait for my buddies.

I was asking about the bluetooth ordeal because I have unlimited data on my phone. Maybe I'm just using tether/hotspot incorrectly?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you everyone for all the advice. I've already downloaded all the apps I want to my head unit, and honestly there is very little lag if any at all. I only wanted it for mainly YouTube and a few other apps like Funimation (whichbof course isnt compatible)

So I've already hooked it up to my house wifi in my driveway. I have a Galaxy Note 8 via ATT, and it gives me the option to use tether/hotspot. Yet when I click it, it says my plan doesnt offer that and I'm not really looking to spend 20/month just to watch YouTube via my head unit in the gym parking lot while I wait for my buddies.

I was asking about the bluetooth ordeal because I have unlimited data on my phone. Maybe I'm just using tether/hotspot incorrectly?
I really cannot believe that the Galazy 8 Note does not have the ability to create a wifi Hotspot, and I cannot see that that wiuld be limited by your data Plan.

The Wireless providers want to to use as much data as they ca sell to you, so why would they put a block on the teather, even if they technically could .. which they probably can't.

OMG -- I stand corrected !!!

https://www.att.com/devicehowto/ind...ic/9006138?make=Samsung&model=GalaxyNote8I467

TURN ON/OFF MOBILE HOTSPOT: Swipe down from the Notification bar, then select the Settings icon. Note: Requires eligible data plan. Mobile hotspot and tethering are not supported on AT&T Unlimited Data Plan.
How F'ing stupid !!! :doh:

You might want o read :
https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/tethering.html
https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/tethering.html
It would seem that AT&T are cutting back, and putting some nasty restrictions on HotSpot / Teathering !!!
Read in particular about the risk of loosing your now, not offered, Unlimited data Plan !!!

Last edited:

Boosted1one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crystal Black FI FC1 Si âś“
Ever figure it out?
Sponsored