First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This post helped me make my final discussion (Ktuner). Thank you all. :thumbsup:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Brian17Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This post helped me make my final discussion (Ktuner). Thank you all. :thumbsup:
Actually, just I purchased Hondata FlashPro. Went to purchase KTuner V2 but didn't want to wait for dealer. Realistically, I've already made my rational for both and would be happy either way. I've originally been leaning Hondata simply for nostalgia and they've doing this for 20 years (respect). But, considering the money and many great listings above I continued to flip flop. They're both great products and be happy with either one just don't sleep on both. Yes, I'm receiving my FlashPro at my doorstep soon.

Last edited:

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just bought a Ktuner v2 primary for the touchscreen and its support for multiple car models (still need to lock tuner to a single ECU) without changing hardware. I’m speaking for myself only as I own two cars with the 1.5T engine and possibly one more with the 2.0 engine.

The Hondata unit I just sold worked perfectly for the last two years but wish that it came with a touchscreen and supported more car models without having to buy another unit; I understand the unit is locked to one ECU at a time but I like to the ability to unlock and use it on a different car model.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Right now, the KTuner/Two Step Performance bundle is a tough offering to beat. It's clear that KTuner is aggressively priced to increase their market share in the Honda community. They are known for having a very strong presence in both the forums and social media. And their hardware has been battle tested for 6+ years.

Hondata has two decades worth experience in the tuning market. They have a close partnership with HPD and have subjected their hardware to some of the most extreme testing environments both on and off the track.

The consensus is that both are good solutions that approach certain tuning parameters a little differently. And that has created some polarizing discussions in what solution works best for their personal needs. My take is you really can't go wrong with either.

If looking to do a custom tune, I suggest having a conversation with a local/virtual tuner as to which solution they feel most comfortable working with, and why. Or chat in the dedicated KTuner/Hondata threads if looking to go at it alone.

We already have a dedicated KTuner thread in the Si forum here:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/joined-the-ktuner-world.34484/page-11

My 2 cents....

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just bought a Ktuner v2 primary for the touchscreen and its support for multiple car models (still need to lock tuner to a single ECU) without changing hardware. I’m speaking for myself only as I own two cars with the 1.5T engine and possibly one more with the 2.0 engine.

The Hondata unit I just sold worked perfectly for the last two years but wish that it came with a touchscreen and supported more car models without having to buy another unit; I understand the unit is locked to one ECU at a time but I like to the ability to unlock and use it on a different car model.
Right now, the KTuner/Two Step Performance bundle is a tough offering to beat. It's clear that KTuner is aggressively priced to increase their market share in the Honda community. They are known for having a very strong presence in both the forums and social media. And their hardware has been battle tested for 6+ years.

Hondata has two decades worth experience in the tuning market. They have a close partnership with HPD and have subjected their hardware to some of the most extreme testing environments both on and off the track.

The consensus is that both are good solutions that approach certain tuning parameters a little differently. And that has created some polarizing discussions in what solution works best for their personal needs. My take is you really can't go wrong with either.

If looking to do a custom tune, I suggest having a conversation with a local/virtual tuner as to which solution they feel most comfortable working with, and why. Or chat in the dedicated KTuner/Hondata threads if looking to go at it alone.

We already have a dedicated KTuner thread in the Si forum here:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/joined-the-ktuner-world.34484/page-11

My 2 cents....
Let me clear up a common misconception that KTuner isn't new to the market. The brains behind Ktuner have been in the tuning scene for over 20 years as well, tuning ODB1 cars with Neptune and HR Tuning. :)

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Having had both KTuner and before that, Hondata, they are both quality tuning products. I think where KTuner really pulls ahead (pun intended lol) is the speed of their customer service response and the sheer amount of easy driveability adjustments.

Brian17Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Let me clear up a common misconception that KTuner is new to the market. The brains behind Ktuner have been in the tuning scene for over 20 years as well, tuning ODB1 cars with Neptune and HR Tuning. :)
This is a important and excellent point. I’m in IT/Business Owner. You learn quickly who’s in control are the most elite engineer’s developing proprietary technology. The company goes where they go. Sure, a good business model can protect you but some talent is the heart.

I don’t have any inside information like that to be "in the know”. But me like many others bought off the company name. I hope they have some genius/mad scientist JDM tuners that live and breath this shit. Gurus in the industry should be at Hondata.

I give Ktuner respect for seeing Hondata owning niche market. If their goal was to create a product that’s same or better than Hondata for a cheaper price with better customer service. Then by golly they succeeded!

Additionally, this competition is good for us because it makes for a competitive market. Maybe Hondata after 15 years thought they could price high and slack on customer service... Sounds like some elite engineers “in the know” saw this as an opportunity to disrupt the market space.

Last edited:

Brian17Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like Hondata ain’t playen around with the Si.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like Hondata ain’t playen around with the Si.

LMAO, hondata didnt have a single 10th gen run anything but in the 14s. Meanwhile 2 cars running ktuner were in the 13s and @k20z3allmotor MoTeC car set the world record again with an 11.2. Hondata did announce they are going to try to run a 10 second pass on a factory ecu, but I just dont see how its possible given Eman is running that with a full race ECU and full interior.

rnewman19

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Do a search, YouTube or Google etc.. OP is too lazy to do their own research, I do not respect that
Having a bad day??? That is the point of forums, to share knowledge and prevent members from having to waste their time. Just what is your deal?? I have been on forums for Mopars, etc for years and never encountered anyone as rude as you are being. His question is spot on and the guys who would know are here. To all members who are not being elitist jerks, I say thank you.

Konos44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Si
Country flag
Thanks for all the posts guys despite the fact that YES this has been discussed to death. What I haven't found easily though is how long did you wait before tuning your car? I pick mine up tomorrow and I'm settled on KTUNER but figured I should "bed" the clutch on the factory tune and maybe have the first oil change before flashing. I also want to put the BMS turbo cone filter on it to hear a bit more of the turbo goodness... How long did you guys wait before tuning?

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Thanks for all the posts guys despite the fact that YES this has been discussed to death. What I haven't found easily though is how long did you wait before tuning your car? I pick mine up tomorrow and I'm settled on KTUNER but figured I should "bed" the clutch on the factory tune and maybe have the first oil change before flashing. I also want to put the BMS turbo cone filter on it to hear a bit more of the turbo goodness... How long did you guys wait before tuning?
I waited 6 months, no rush my brother.
Sponsored