amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Yep. And the cool thing is you literally can soak them in a mild soapy solution, then simply rinse, dry and reuse.

A little bit of trivia. Did you guys know that K&N actually owns AEM?
Well, they are about $10 cheaper than K&N on their website but $7 more on Amazon (K&N was opposite, it was cheaper on Amazon). Their site says they designed this filter in collaboration with K&N. Interesting that K&N does not use this design, as this is much easier than re-oiling, which I have done a few times
Sponsored

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any recommendations for cvt?
The air filter makes a noticeable difference with the cvt as well. I had the PRL stage 1 kit on mine, and plan on adding it to my Si as soon as the weather permits.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The air filter makes a noticeable difference with the cvt as well. I had the PRL stage 1 kit on mine, and plan on adding it to my Si as soon as the weather permits.
I agree with this. A smooth silicone intake hose seems to add a bit more throttle response as well. Right now, I run the Mishimoto silicone hose with a AEM Dryflow filter. It's a nice combo that only cost $90. And honestly because you use the stock airbox, it's more effective performance-wise than a SRI.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any recommendations for cvt?
As the others mentioned above, all I mentioned except the Synchromesh. You will need to get a Ktuner and tunes that matches your car model. Also, Amsoil has a CVT fluid, when it comes time for changing your CVT fluid, you might want to consider that

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you own the X gen Si, you know that you have a pretty special car. But what if you are an amateur like me, want smoother shifting, better performance, but don't want to spend a bunch of money, or bolt on a bunch of aftermarket parts and turn under the hood into Frankenstein? No plans to race a Dodge Charger? Well you are in luck. For older and new Si owners, here are 3 must do "mods" that won't break the bank, or your car:

1. Drop in a K&N air filter or similar "dry" performance filter (for those that don't like the oil type filter)
Cost: $49 on Amazon
Why: Simply put, a K&N filter allows more air to enter your engine. The better your engine breathes, the better it performs. It's not going to give you a ton of power, but it will make your engine smoother. Some people state that a K&N filter lets in a lot of contaminants, but if you look at the published filtration on their website, it meets or exceeds the OEM filter in filtration. Plus it can be cleaned after 50K, up go 4 times. I have been using these filters for years, and none of my cars have ever had an issue, even after over 100K miles plus

2. Change out the factory fill Manual transmission fluid with Amsoil Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid
Cost: 2 quarts at $16 each plus 2 x crush washers at .25 cents ea. If you do it yourself, labor is free, $20 to $30 if you take it to a garage
Why: I have a multi-page post on this, so you can check out that post, but like many of you, I felt the shifting was not as smooth as it could be, and I also felt the transmission was just not performing well. After changing out the factory fill, life changed for the better! Smooth shifting, most of the notchiness gone, and generally my transmission performs one thousand percent better! Do it for your car, do it for your stick...just do it!

3. Ktuner with Two Step Performance stage 1 tune
Cost: $449 for a new v1.2 Ktuner
Why: Why not! I have another post on this as well, basically with Ktuner and the tsp stage 1 tune, you have a choice of 3 different maps, all you need is a laptop to install the tune, and you can drive your car in 3 different modes. Map 1 slightly enhances the driving experience, and Map 3 brings the cars whp to 237! That is 55 extra horses! I won't go into a lot of detail, you can read my post on Ktuner, but let's just say the performance increase without adding any additional add-on's is crazy!

So do yourself a favor, do these 3 mods, and your car will thank you!
Thank you, good info! Surprised you didn't add an Acuity pedal spacing kit or shifter kit, both have been well reviewed. Still not sure about doing any kind of engine mapping or tune given some dealers will use that as an excuse - legit or not - to dishonor the warranty. Also, I guess if 237 is a 55 whp upgrade, that means my stock SI with '205 bhp' is only getting 182 whp, which sounds about right for drive-train loss.

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you own the X gen Si, you know that you have a pretty special car. But what if you are an amateur like me, want smoother shifting, better performance, but don't want to spend a bunch of money, or bolt on a bunch of aftermarket parts and turn under the hood into Frankenstein? No plans to race a Dodge Charger? Well you are in luck. For older and new Si owners, here are 3 must do "mods" that won't break the bank, or your car:

1. Drop in a K&N air filter or similar "dry" performance filter (for those that don't like the oil type filter)
Why: Simply put, a K&N filter allows more air to enter your engine. The better your engine breathes, the better it performs. It's not going to give you a ton of power, but it will make your engine smoother. Some people state that a K&N filter lets in a lot of contaminants, but if you look at the published filtration on their website, it meets or exceeds the OEM filter in filtration. Plus it can be cleaned after 50K, up go 4 times. I have been using these filters for years, and none of my cars have ever had an issue, even after over 100K miles plus

2. Change out the factory fill Manual transmission fluid with Amsoil Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid
Cost: 2 quarts at $16 each plus 2 x crush washers at .25 cents ea. If you do it yourself, labor is free, $20 to $30 if you take it to a garage
Why: I have a multi-page post on this, so you can check out that post, but like many of you, I felt the shifting was not as smooth as it could be, and I also felt the transmission was just not performing well. After changing out the factory fill, life changed for the better! Smooth shifting, most of the notchiness gone, and generally my transmission performs one thousand percent better! Do it for your car, do it for your stick...just do it!

Why: Why not! I have another post on this as well, basically with Ktuner and the tsp stage 1 tune, you have a choice of 3 different maps, all you need is a laptop to install the tune, and you can drive your car in 3 different modes. Map 1 slightly enhances the driving experience, and Map 3 brings the cars whp to 237! That is 55 extra horses! I won't go into a lot of detail, you can read my post on Ktuner, but let's just say the performance increase without adding any additional add-on's is crazy!

changed my MTF the other day and put in Pensoil synchromesh. Is there that big of a difference between the Pensoil and Amsoil synchromesh fluids?

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you, good info! Surprised you didn't add an Acuity pedal spacing kit or shifter kit, both have been well reviewed. Still not sure about doing any kind of engine mapping or tune given some dealers will use that as an excuse - legit or not - to dishonor the warranty. Also, I guess if 237 is a 55 whp upgrade, that means my stock SI with '205 bhp' is only getting 182 whp, which sounds about right for drive-train loss.
You are welcome. I didn't include the Acuity because it is not something I have done myself, and the amount of work in putting in the shifting kit just doesn't seem worth it to me. As far as as installing a new map thru Ktuner, you can always flash back to stock anytime before taking it to the dealer. I mostly use Map 1, which runs the turbo boost at stock levels but there are some enhancements in response and acceleration. Also the power curve is much better at the higher rpms than when it was running factory. IMO running Map 3 is way overkill

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
changed my MTF the other day and put in Pensoil synchromesh. Is there that big of a difference between the Pensoil and Amsoil synchromesh fluids?
Unfortunately I have never used the Pensoil product and don't know much about it. If it is fully synthetic it should be fine

aeonixx

First Name
KW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag

I bought the V2.0 ktuner and its still kind of a pain in the butt. My assumption was I could download to the tuner and just use the hand held (difference is the hand held unit from V.1.2) Nope you still have to drag your computer out to your car. I still love the tuner and you couldn't have written a better Post. This is exactly what I did to my 2018 Si and it changed my entire outlook about the car. I was driving a BMW 135 but had to start commuting quite a distance. I hated to sell it but I needed a commuter, hence the Si (hey i am not driving a leaf, no offense) And since the cold tube, tuner and tranny I am extremely happy. I wasn't too hot on the car til the changes. Very impressive motor! Very impressive car.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag

FOR ANY 1.5 CIVIC NOT SI MODEL:
1. Free-flow exhaust 60-64mm $600
2. Motor oil $40
3. Gear fluid $44
4. Sound insulation $250
5. (Pending) Acuity mods

Goals: Free power, better sound, longevity

1. Starting with my exhaust, I sourced high quality short muffler and resonator and kept stock cat and FP. I cut pipes and had TIG welding done. My muffler source states I now have flow potential to support 260 horses. Engine spins easier. Hwy driving more effortless. Deeper tone.

2. Along with 10k of engine break-in, my mix of Motul X-Max 0w40 and Eco-nergy 0w20 sounds better, smoother, better economy and less fuel dilution.

3. Motul Gear 300 fluid (cSt 100C: 15)has added notchyness where the feel had become mashed potatoes and the transmission felt under-lubricated due to shearing of Honda fluid. Considering: Driven Synchromesh fluid(cSt 100C: 10) to lighten gear changes. The Motul works but seems to slow synchros-meshing down a bit.

4. Added 4-5 lbs of DEI floor and tunnel shield insulation to underside of tunnel. FatMat underhood lightweight foam under hood, foam and Lexus lightweight insulation fibers to inside of doors. Result: enjoy music and engine purr better, less road noise, easier to talk to passenger.

Final result: Engine feels great, revs better, deep tone but just audible. No more crazy road noise from rough pavement.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
FOR ANY 1.5 CIVIC NOT SI MODEL:
1. Free-flow exhaust 60-64mm $600
2. Motor oil $40
3. Gear fluid $44
4. Sound insulation $250
5. (Pending) Acuity mods

Goals: Free power, better sound, longevity

1. Starting with my exhaust, I sourced high quality short muffler and resonator and kept stock cat and FP. I cut pipes and had TIG welding done. My muffler source states I now have flow potential to support 260 horses. Engine spins easier. Hwy driving more effortless. Deeper tone.

2. Along with 10k of engine break-in, my mix of Motul X-Max 0w40 and Eco-nergy 0w20 sounds better, smoother, better economy and less fuel dilution.

3. Motul Gear 300 fluid (cSt 100C: 15)has added notchyness where the feel had become mashed potatoes and the transmission felt under-lubricated due to shearing of Honda fluid. Considering: Driven Synchromesh fluid(cSt 100C: 10) to lighten gear changes. The Motul works but seems to slow synchros-meshing down a bit.

4. Added 4-5 lbs of DEI floor and tunnel shield insulation to underside of tunnel. FatMat underhood lightweight foam under hood, foam and Lexus lightweight insulation fibers to inside of doors. Result: enjoy music and engine purr better, less road noise, easier to talk to passenger.

Final result: Engine feels great, revs better, deep tone but just audible. No more crazy road noise from rough pavement.
I would be careful about the gear oil, it could damage the soft metals in your synchros

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Aftermarket drop-in filters provide negligible performance increase and oiled filters can cause MAF sensor issues if over-oiled. Obviously people can spend their money however they want, but I'd never consider a drop in "performance" filter a "must-do".
I agree with this. Also, despite K&N filters being very efficient, additional contaminants DO make their way to the valves and runners, which could accelerate deposit accumulation over time.

I have had pretty good experience with dryflow filters on my last TCDI powertrain. But like most aftermarket intakes, you usually have to expand the media element's surface area to see improvements in CFM readings at WOT (among other things).

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the V2.0 ktuner and its still kind of a pain in the butt. My assumption was I could download to the tuner and just use the hand held (difference is the hand held unit from V.1.2) Nope you still have to drag your computer out to your car.
Huh?

If you're talking about the KTuner V2, you never need a computer in your car. That's it's big advantage. Are you sure you have a V2 with the 5" touchscreen?

Last edited:

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I would be careful about the gear oil, it could damage the soft metals in your synchros
Yeah Motul is absolutely safe for gearboxes because it’s made for gearboxes, hence the name. It seems popular with the Subaru crowd. The oil squeeze out or flow rate is what makes the synchros action take longer as it’s more viscous. Honda designed gearbox for lighter oil. For that reason I am considering trying the Driven product, to make gear exchanges a little easier.
Sponsored