More spy pics of 2017 Civic Hatchback

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Booster seat a 4 year old and forward face a 2 year old? My son is 3 and still rear faces. I like him to be alive but alrighty then. Not safe at all...
I don't know how you fit in a car with a rear facing seat! How do you handle the drinks, snacks, etc?

Yeah man. My two year old turns 3 tomorrow. She is still in the harness seat. She has been front-facing since about 15 months. I'll admit I'm not an expert, but I evaluated many many factors when making the decision and its the same decision I made for both kids.
First and foremost- they're not in my car much. It's not unusual for 6 weeks to pass without them getting in my Si and when they do, it's a short trip.
Second, I'm 6'4" and I can't operate the vehicle safely with rear-facing seats on both sides. I could do it on the passenger side but then my passenger has to be up all but 4 clicks. Airbag to the face for sure-and all this when there's probably not even anyone in the back.
Third, I determined my most likely mode of collision was someone rear-ending me or hitting me on the side. The least likely mode of collision was me hitting someone else thus a frontal crash. I decided this based primarily on the fact that I haven't caused a crash since '99 but I've been in both a rear-ending and a t-boning. I've seen the crash videos and I can't see how being rear facing in a rear ending is better for anybody.
Fourth, my kids are 99percentile for size so by 6 months they were out of their carriers and in rear-facing convertibles.
They stayed rear facing a few months longer in my wife's then-Pilot just because I am not in it on a daily basis and it had slightly more room. I remember the carrier would be lodged against the front seat even in that car when I had it in proper driving position.

In any case, we are getting distracted from the hatch! By the time I get mine, which I assume will be May 2017 since I'm going TypeR, I'll have a 4 year old little girl and a 5.8 year old little boy who will probably both be in Recaro booster seats similar to the one the 4year old is in now. I'm thinking they'll have a little more room in the hatch!
Sponsored

sometimestwice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm 6'4 myself and I understand the struggle of having car seats in the back seat (I assume you have a sedan). I get that it's harder to fit comfortably up front, but an adult has a better chance of surviving a crash than a child. And you can't predict how/when/where a collision will happen. Safe driver or not. I'm no expert but I learned from my wife, and I just take it very serious is all. To each their own I guess.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm 6'4 myself and I understand the struggle of having car seats in the back seat (I assume you have a sedan). I get that it's harder to fit comfortably up front, but an adult has a better chance of surviving a crash than a child. And you can't predict how/when/where a collision will happen. Safe driver or not. I'm no expert but I learned from my wife, and I just take it very serious is all. To each their own I guess.
Agreed. Thankfully we are still given the liberty to make the choices. I'm sure I'm not the only one on this forum who grew up not required to even wear a seat belt in the back seat-much less use a booster. We survived! On a different topic, we also managed to learn how to ride bikes without helmets. Gasp!

It's actually a little sad- I brought my oldest home in the civic. The other day he told me he would keep it forever because it reminds him of me. Longest I've owned a car- we willbe sad to see it go but I'll be happy for the TypeR hatchy!!

sometimestwice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Us getting the Type R is way overdo. I'm also happy they are pleasing the crowds and keeping the tradition with offering manual transmissions for us and finally pulling the trigger on turbo charged motors. Honda learned what their customers like

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Us getting the Type R is way overdo. I'm also happy they are pleasing the crowds and keeping the tradition with offering manual transmissions for us and finally pulling the trigger on turbo charged motors. Honda learned what their customers like
I know dude! I was a bit too young when we had the last Type R. I have to believe these will be well executed. I mean think of how 'reliable' and streetable a 300hp stock block B16 is - and now we're getting stuff built for the boost. I'm pretty excited!

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So... Any thoughts on the auto start/stop?
I imagine it will be available but on higher trims. It won't be on any of the versions that need a key in the column. My guess anyway...

JustChexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Chevy Malibu
I imagine it will be available but on higher trims. It won't be on any of the versions that need a key in the column. My guess anyway...
Thanks, Brian! Is this just for the Euro version or do you foresee auto start/stop coming to higher trim levels for the US hatch as well?

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks, Brian! Is this just for the Euro version or do you foresee auto start/stop coming to higher trim levels for the US hatch as well?
I think if it is on the current Touring Sedan, it will probably be on the high level hatch. I don't know how much impact it makes on such a small car. Personally I want the engine running to keep that A/C blowing COLD! The one thing I would want is brake-hold. That would be handy.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I think if it is on the current Touring Sedan, it will probably be on the high level hatch. I don't know how much impact it makes on such a small car. Personally I want the engine running to keep that A/C blowing COLD! The one thing I would want is brake-hold. That would be handy.
But it's not on the current Touring Sedan, so don't count on it being on the USDM hatch, regardless of trim.

sometimestwice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I couldn't even fathom the potential the type r has once Hondata works their magic. I'd say with i/h/e tune you could easily climb over 400+ horsepower. Also VTEC and turbos never work well together, the sudden jump in power has never been healthy for the heritage of Honda's insanely long reliability. My assumption is Honda knows their customers want a performance car, but expect to have spikes in repairs. Turbos generally last up to 100,000 miles

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
But it's not on the current Touring Sedan, so don't count on it being on the USDM hatch, regardless of trim.
There we go - I was looking for it on the Honda site but couldn't find anything.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I couldn't even fathom the potential the type r has once Hondata works their magic. I'd say with i/h/e tune you could easily climb over 400+ horsepower. Also VTEC and turbos never work well together, the sudden jump in power has never been healthy for the heritage of Honda's insanely long reliability. My assumption is Honda knows their customers want a performance car, but expect to have spikes in repairs. Turbos generally last up to 100,000 miles
I think you're right about Hondata. I haven't been able to tell if the exhaust manifold is integrated, but I'll guess we can get a bigger downpipe in there and maybe a dump chute for the Wastegate. Free up the cool side of the turbo, add E85, and it's an easy 400-450hp. So excited!