Top End Bolt ons for the L15B7 VTEC Turbo

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR, 2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looking to start a thread on the many different manufactures of parts for the L15B7, on true gains, without the budget concious in mind, I have done quite a bit of research and am now looking to compare lbs for lbs between manufacturers.

1st: AFePower I see very little if any at all of reviews on their bolt ons however I have had much success with them in the past on my Ecoboost F-150 (sold), Ive seen reviews here and there on their CAI, but nothin about their Front/mid pipes and down pipes. However I see a lot about the PRL motorsports bolt ons (not a big fan of their CAI, because I live below sea level in the Greater Houston. So in favor of fitment i figured buy everything from the same company, HOWEVER. After learning of 27won, PRL, MAPerformance my mind has shifted.

2nd: Money not being an object looking for Pure Gains HP/TQ from what companys offer the greatest gains for CAI, Front/mid pipes, Down pipes, exhaust, intercooler, radiator, BOV? etc etc.

3rd: I will be using Hondata Flashpro over Ktuner after reading many different reviews, I am open to E-85vs91/93 octane changing the options, and Catless over Catted I.E. if youre going Catted buy this one if you are going Catless buy this one.

4th: You guys may have Covered this one before in a different thread please link threads and continue here :)

5th: Recently discovered a CVT cooler kit through PRL, is there any difference then an Intercooler upgrade or would it be in addition too? As Higher horsepower gains and torque gains will eventually turn the CVT into a live grenade considering you have peak torque spec at between 1500-2700 RPMs

Thanks in advance Guys!
Sponsored

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Haven't seen many reviews for AFE exhaust bolt ons, because not many have bought them, likely due to the high price tag compared to the competition (PRL & RV6), which make proven quality parts, with honest performance data.

Running a BOV on this platform is a waste of money, and detrimental to your car.

I also live in Houston and understand completely about running a CAI. If you don't wanna run a CAI, anything other than a Silicone Hose and high flow air filter, is pretty much a waste of money.

PRL has consistently proven to have the parts that make the most gains. With that said, fuel, and a tune are the best power makers for this platform.

Using Hondata over Ktuner is not recommended on this platform by anyone who is truly informed.

CVT cooler is a waste of money unless you plan to run the car hard around a race track (not drag racing), or plan to push the car to it's absolute limits, which would involve turbo upgrades, built internals, etc . Intercooler would be a more worthwhile investment if you want to make more consistent power, especially for back to back runs and pulls.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
I suggest you learn about the platform first, then determine the pieces you wish to upgrade. “True gains” (as you mentioned) depends on numerous variables like which tuner, is your vehicle healthy and other supporting parts.
Use the search function on the forum and explore.

Last edited:

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
bov? don do that. messes with the af ratio. bad mojo.

ktuner is superior to hondata for a few good reasons, mainly because of flexibility and responsiveness of ktuner updates and support.

cvt for major power upgrades? uh ohh. simple ktuner with base maps can over power the cvt with or without a cooler.

lots of info in these forums. dig and learn.

OP
OP
ThorSellsCars

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Haven't seen many reviews for AFE exhaust bolt ons, because not many have bought them, likely due to the high price tag compared to the competition (PRL & RV6), which make proven quality parts, with honest performance data.

Running a BOV on this platform is a waste of money, and detrimental to your car.

I also live in Houston and understand completely about running a CAI. If you don't wanna run a CAI, anything other than a Silicone Hose and high flow air filter, is pretty much a waste of money.

PRL has consistently proven to have the parts that make the most gains. With that said, fuel, and a tune are the best power makers for this platform.

Using Hondata over Ktuner is not recommended on this platform by anyone who is truly informed.

CVT cooler is a waste of money unless you plan to run the car hard around a race track (not drag racing), or plan to push the car to it's absolute limits, which would involve turbo upgrades, built internals, etc . Intercooler would be a more worthwhile investment if you want to make more consistent power, especially for back to back runs and pulls.

I appreciate your advice, any reasoning why the BOV/BPV or torque solution plate would be detrimental to this platform, even with an added catch can? PRL definitely has a smorgeous borg of parts, however i enjoy the fitment of AFE alot worth paying for IMO, but if another part say 27won or PRL offers a higher gain then obviously that would be the way to go, and the 27won and AFE power Takeda intake seem to be the most beneficial CAI for below sea level in the fact that they are semi sealed or sealed for the most part.

and truly informed? ive read so many articles on ktuner vs hondata and it really seems like they go neck for neck one will pass the other then the other will update and its back to a close 2nd.

the goal is to get this tiny 1.5T to hit 305 without doing any bottom end work or machining of the block or forging etc etc.

OP
OP
ThorSellsCars

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I suggest you learn about the platform first, then determine the pieces you wish to upgrade. “True gains” (as you mentioned) depends on numerous variables like which tuner, is your vehicle healthy and other supporting parts.
Use the search function on the forum and explore.
I have learned about the platform I work for a honda dealer and was a ford and peterbilt heavy duty mechanic for 4 years thanks :) , the "true gains" that i mentioned does depend on numerous variables and if I have to make a spread sheet for each individual piece I will, was just looking to see if anyone had already did it. To dispel variables, my vehicle is healthy 2019 EX(1.5T), I would prefer to use Hondata, Im not opposed to cats or no cats, E-85/91/93 options are all ready available I work for a dealership and have an army of techs at my beck and call.

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Looking to start a thread on the many different manufactures of parts for the L15B7, on true gains, without the budget concious in mind, I have done quite a bit of research and am now looking to compare lbs for lbs between manufacturers.

5th: Recently discovered a CVT cooler kit through PRL, is there any difference then an Intercooler upgrade or would it be in addition too? As Higher horsepower gains and torque gains will eventually turn the CVT into a live grenade considering you have peak torque spec at between 1500-2700 RPMs

Thanks in advance Guys!
I simply suggested exploring as you were questioning the differences of a trans cooler and intercooler.
With an Army of techs at your beck and call, there really isn't a need to use the forum is there?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
BOVs that vent to atmosphere are always bad for performance. You 1) lose all that pressure you were working so hard to build. 2) while you accomplish the goal of preventing your turbo from screeching to a halt, this would be accomplished better through recirculation, which actually serves to keep it spinning on top of not getting rapidly stopped 3) when you make air pass by the MAF, the ECU will fuel the car accordingly. When you vent that air to atmosphere with a BOV, the car will be fueling for air that is no longer there and run rich.

BOVs really are detrimental to performance. When I bought my last Z, I had the BOVs that the previous owner had installed removed and replaced the stock recircs. Even though I lost the boy-racer sound, I gained a pile of performance by reducing additional lag between shifts and a stumble that would occur now and then, I assume from it running pig rich between gear changes. Now you can make a recirculation act like a BOV by just pulling your recirc line and letting it vent to atmosphere and capping the return line... but, well, that's be dumb.

The only good thing a BOV does is prevent turbo damage on a car with nothing else... like the first gen 300zxs from the '80s.

If you were a Ford mechanic and former ecoboost owner this should all be old news, with them being referred to as a diverter valve. It has been in the Z community since the 90s.

If you want noise, do it. If you want performance, don't.

So far as Hondata vs Ktuner, read @gtman 's thread that was posted, as well as his Hondata vs Ktuner comparison on another thread, which is even more applicable as a CVT owner.

a trans cooler and intercooler.
That.

Hondata did some testing and posted a short video about CVTs and their thoughts on torque limits that you may want to watch.

My opinion: You want 305 whp (kinda specific...)? Get a tuner and an aftermarket turbo, get a custom tune to limit torque down low and make 305 whp. You won't make it on the stock turbo even with ethanol. You can pour money into this piece and that piece... try to hide stupid hot IATs with an intercooler... try to prevent knock with ethanol... or just replace the turbo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ThorSellsCars

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I simply suggested exploring as you were questioning the differences of a trans cooler and intercooler.
With an Army of techs at your beck and call, there really isn't a need to use the forum is there?
They just put the parts on, none of them have a 10th gen, so the tech is still semi new to them, 2 of them drive STIs, and our other performance guys have an integra and a 370Z, and a bunch of them GXRs. but nobody has really tapped into the honda strangely enough. Putting parts on is the easy part, understanding them is the hard part I apologize if i sounded salty. Rough day. Too add to some info on parts it looks like in terms of downpipes AFE is claiming +14hp and +27 lbs x Ft where as 27won is claiming 13wHP and 13wTQ and while Afe has power gains (+8hp and +16 lbs x Ft) for their front pipe 27won has not releasesd any gain numbers for theirs

OP
OP
ThorSellsCars

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only good thing a BOV does is prevent turbo damage on a car with nothing else... like the first gen 300zxs from the '80s.

If you want noise, do it. If you want performance, don't.

So far as Hondata vs Ktuner, read @gtman 's thread that was posted, as well as his Hondata vs Ktuner comparison on another thread, which is even more applicable as a CVT owner.

Hondata did some testing and posted a short video about CVTs and their thoughts on torque limits that you may want to watch.

My optinion: You want 305 who (kinda specific...)? Get a tuner and an aftermarket turbo, get a custom tune to limit torque down low and make 305 whp. You won't make it on the stock turbo even with ethanol. You can pour money into this piece and that piece... try to hide stupid hot IATs with an intercooler... try to prevent knock with ethanol... or just replace the turbo.
What a guy!! thanks for all the Info! yes its specific puts it at stock R HP spec, and really dont need much more then that im confident i can get it to 250 with just bolt ons, and it looks like 27wons big turbo upgrade is boasting 45-65wHP so it seems for bolt ons AFe is going to be the way to go then add the 27won turbo. and im back and forth on aFe intercooler and the mishimoto intercooler.

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They just put the parts on, none of them have a 10th gen, so the tech is still semi new to them, 2 of them drive STIs, and our other performance guys have an integra and a 370Z, and a bunch of them GXRs. but nobody has really tapped into the honda strangely enough. Putting parts on is the easy part, understanding them is the hard part I apologize if i sounded salty. Rough day. Too add to some info on parts it looks like in terms of downpipes AFE is claiming +14hp and +27 lbs x Ft where as 27won is claiming 13wHP and 13wTQ and while Afe has power gains (+8hp and +16 lbs x Ft) for their front pipe 27won has not releasesd any gain numbers for theirs
You have to remember that they are ALL on different Dynos and under differentiating conditions.
There are 2 things that make power - Air & Fuel. Everything after that is "supporting". Don't go down the rabbit hole, as mentioned before and get all of the items that don't make power - get them, to support your power goals.

If 305hp is all you are after then:

Larger turbo (I would chose a GTX2860R Gen 2 all day long if $ is no issue)
Intercooler w/piping
Clutch
Catback with at least 2.25" (preferably 2.5")
+1 Step Colder Plugs
Drop-in high flow filter
and
TUNE (most important piece)

That is the barebones minimum to produce your # (even greater) - even on the stock fuel system.

**EDIT**
Alas, your application is a CVT - so, the above does not apply.
You will have to run another tune other than the Base Tunes provided by KTuner.
In that process, you will have already achieved transmission failure before ever reaching your intended goal.
Stick with the three items "underlined" above or trade back in for a M/T model.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ThorSellsCars

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
not trying to be a fly in the honey but:

what good is 305hp if the torque is under 230ish to save the cvt?
Yes so I did not know the torque limitations on the CVT probably should look into that, What's limiting it? is it the actually "Gear", lack of fluid flow for cooling? I realised that at a certain torque spec it would just become a live grenade because of "Instant torque" and "simulated shifts". which is why i earlier asked about the CVT cooler in addition to the intercooler upgrade? I got the Auto for fuel efficiency and now regret it completely skipped the fact that there might be a cvt torque limitation

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
@gtman has gone through a lot in his post about tuning a cvt for the most possible umph.
i would not give up on it until you read his journey through tuning it.
he did say at one point that nay sayers should try it out, the numbers may be lower but the technology in a cvt is very efficient and quick.
another user said that cvt's are faster under 100mph than manuals with more hp reading on a dyno.

i don't have a cvt so i don't know the hard limit for torque and what goes when it fails.

read gtman's thread i posted up.:thumbsup:
Sponsored