Katana LED H11 Headlight Review

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
EDITED NOTES For Quick Reference:
the 12000lm has an external driver box similar to a ballast, which is why most people use that version for low beams, and go with the smaller version for high beams. You could use either interchangeably.

Recommended Low Beam
https://www.amazon.com/KATANA-Headlight-Extremely-Conversion-Adjustable/dp/B078W5WJZ2/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3PCW5NQ8AIZCW&keywords=Katana+12000Lm&linkCode=sl2&linkId=6df0216ffc9d15dc8767862e3af7b427&qid=1584040501&s=automotive&sprefix=Katana+,automotive,174&sr=1-2

Recommended High Beam
https://www.amazon.com/KATANA-9005-Headlight-10000LM-Conversion/dp/B07T8YGVWC/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2UZ23HZI69OMP&dchild=1&keywords=katana+9005+led+headlight+bulbs&qid=1590609790&sprefix=katana+9005,aps,246&sr=8-6

Original Post:

This weekend I finally installed the Katana LED headlights I ordered and man am I impressed. First thing to get a few facts out of the way. I’m not at all endorsed or connected to either this companies bulbs, nor any website I used for research. I just want to point out where I got the information, since I found it extremely helpful in a world of mystery surrounding LED bulbs. To get to the direct review just skip a few paragraphs down.

The Amazon reviews on Katana were stellar given that it’s listed for $48 and one of the reviews does claim that it is a repackaged Supernova v.4. I don’t know that I believe that entirely, but in seeing the results, data, and design, it does appear the factory that makes supernova may have found a way to alter the design of the v.4 to make an affordable yet quality item for cheaper.

I also used https://bulbfacts.com/ for any research. I’ve used their data in the past on Halogens with my old car which pointed me towards the Osram Nightbreakers I used to use, and their LED info is extremely useful, especially with it being broken down between affordable and premium bulbs. Under affordable, they have it rated as the “best value and light spread” and basically have it as 2nd place behind Hikari despite being half the price. The only downside is they haven’t posted their actual review article yet so I wasn’t able to use anything other than data. It’s data also shows it can compete with some of the top premium bulbs like morimoto and supernova. Now whether they last as long we’ll find out.

Now for the actual review. They are plug in play. For the negatives they’re snug when trying to turn into place. The driver being external also made finding a mounting location a bit annoying. On the driver side I was able to pull the driver up under the bracket next to the fuse box, then loop it over and zip tie it in place. I can get pics of that if anyone really wants to see that. Minus that though, mine seemed to be aimed spot on with where stock was.

I tested last night and went past 6 cars no one flashing lights, aiming appeared correct and low, yet gave great output. On the way in this morning I noticed I do not need my fogs at all, which is nice given that I couldn’t see a dang thing with the stock lights unless the fogs were also on. And I find the color to be a lot better at lighting up the road, but I will admit it’s got a slight blue tint to it. I expect that tint given my experience with other LED bulbs, but for those who are nitpicky this will not be a true white. Even with it being a slight blue though it does match the DRL exactly in color.

Obviously, I just installed so I can’t speak to longevity, so I’ll update if they crap out early. But for now if someone wants to venture into LEDs and doesn’t want to break the bank, these would be my go to recommendation for people.

TLDR, did some research, found these bulbs for $48 rated as good as $100 and close to $150 bulbs. Color is fantastic, bright, doesn’t blind people, and slightly blue. I would highly recommend. Now here’s some pics. Note the quality isn't the best so I apologize.

Honda Civic 10th gen Katana LED H11 Headlight Review hdhPRb
Honda Civic 10th gen Katana LED H11 Headlight Review IIenZ5e
Honda Civic 10th gen Katana LED H11 Headlight Review I6yQgDe
Honda Civic 10th gen Katana LED H11 Headlight Review LUY9Kcr

Last edited:

B0nez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Si Coupe | '08 FJ Cruiser | '05 Jeep LJ
Country flag
I would love some pics of the install if you are willing to share.

OP
OP
arsh88

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How well does it work when it snows/rains?
That will be TBD since i just have to wait for inclimate weather, but I'm lame and avoid driving in it most of the time lol.

OP
OP
arsh88

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'll try and take some this week. it might take me a day or two so be patient. i do have wed off so i should be able to get some good non rushed shots that day.

OP
OP
arsh88

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Katana LED H11 Headlight Review IZp35fQ
Alright I’ll try my best:

Starting with the drivers side the install while easier to put the bulb in was messier to mount, I actually attached the driver to the bulb once installed and then pulled it under a bracket that the fuse box is on, it fits, and looped it over before connecting and zip tying it in place

Honda Civic 10th gen Katana LED H11 Headlight Review ZmReK27

Honda Civic 10th gen Katana LED H11 Headlight Review ZHBg8kR

Here’s the bracket I pulled it under
Honda Civic 10th gen Katana LED H11 Headlight Review y2tfD21

And zip tied
Honda Civic 10th gen Katana LED H11 Headlight Review nExw4xR

Passenger side there’s not much to say, it’s clean on that size I just zip tied the cables in a loop together so the driver stays out of the way
Honda Civic 10th gen Katana LED H11 Headlight Review OWsPAuA

Last edited:

David16touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic touring, 2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD.
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I put these exact bulb in my gf’s Mazda CX-5 and I can definitely vouch for these. They’re pretty bright and work wayyyy better than the stock bulbs

OP
OP
arsh88

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How well does it work when it snows/rains?
They're not stellar in the rain/fog but they're not really much worse. i drove in bad rain and fog this morning and honestly no ones lights, halogen or led were lighting up the road for crap. The one downside in fog I will say is that the white light doesn't have the best effect on fog, it's like a white wall. But that's not so much as these lights as it is any light that's white, HID or LED.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sooo how about a morimoto vs these katanas picture post off

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
How well defined is the cut-off on those bulbs? I have HID's in both our civic's and the light output is ridiculous with a razor sharp cutoff. In the shot with the side of the SUV, it looks like you're just spraying light everywhere.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How well defined is the cut-off on those bulbs? I have HID's in both our civic's and the light output is ridiculous with a razor sharp cutoff. In the shot with the side of the SUV, it looks like you're just spraying light everywhere.
My katana bulbs had a sharp cutoff. I changed to drop in hid because the pattern and throw after vinyl were lacking

OP
OP
arsh88

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The cutoff is sharp but not in a bad way. That pic with the SUV didn’t turn out great because our parking ramp is such a cluster eff af work with half the lights being led and bald being these old AF orange halogens.

Would I say the katanas are the best bulb ever made, no. But they’re $48 over twice as bright as OEM but also don’t blind the shit out of other drivers.

I still hate HID because of the amount of poor executions I’ve seen with them, so I’m glad to not be apart of that problem

Polekitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Sedan / 2018 CR-V EX
Country flag
I pulled the trigger and bought a set of these. Installed them last weekend and because I drive to work in the dark I got to test them out. For $48 you cannot go wrong. Installing them in my 2017 civic took about 15 minutes with no adjustments needed at all. I agree with the OP as they are little blue and do match the DRL perfectly. The cutoff is just fine and the throw is twice the distance as the halogen bulbs No noise from the fans, but I'm hard of hearing so who cares. Now if they last as long as advertised I will be a happy camper.

si@vegas

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I second the Katana for low beams. I used beamtech for the highs and fogs since those seem to work better on reflector housings
as opposed to projector housings per the test conducted by bulbfacts if i recall correctly. I'm very happy with them, very nice output and pattern.
I normally use xenondepot kits on all my previous vehicles, and I'm glad I went LED this time around.

JT

rapsin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2019
Country flag
This post inspired me to buy a pair and they're really bright. I think they're probably as bright as I'd feel comfortable with, any brighter I think would be dangerous.
Sponsored