Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Check out this cool blog our friends and supporters over at Whiteline created. We currently run all Whiteline bars, springs, toe arms, and endlinks on all of our CIvics. Read it here
Sponsored

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Check out this cool blog our friends and supporters over at Whiteline created. We currently run all Whiteline bars, springs, toe arms, and endlinks on all of our CIvics. Read it here
Been hearing about the W1 and for whatever reason making right turn and seeing blue smoke from oil burning through the oil seal?

OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Been hearing about the W1 and for whatever reason making a right turn and seeing blue smoke from oil burning through the oil seal?
The W1 like all other turbochargers in production does not have a seal but rather uses piston rings. They seal with positive pressure, operate just like piston rings in your engine. Since we are keeping fluids separated from 2 moving surfaces we cannot use seals.

In regards to making a right turn and seeing smoke, I have not reports of that to me or my team minus what you just posted. What is very odd is what would make it a situation where it only happens when you turn right. Why not left? Nothing about the unit is directional in the sense that it would smoke or leak one direction and not the other.

Now a little context on the piston rings I talked about early. When the turbos are built the rings are gapped to spec. In order to "seal" the oil from leaving the CHRA and getting into the housings, the ring needs positive pressure to expand and but up to each other. Again same concept as an engine. Now the turbo is only seeing positive pressure when driving. So what can happen is let's say you are sitting in traffic for a really long time or been idling for like 20-30 minutes straight or so, That first hard pull after the long waiting can blow out some smoke, why? because the ring was not sealing to its full capacity and some oil can leak past the ring and then burn off. nothing to be alarmed about, it goes away pretty quick and is normal. So that could be what a person has seen.

Hope this helps answer your question.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The W1 like all other turbochargers in production does not have a seal but rather uses piston rings. They seal with positive pressure, operate just like piston rings in your engine. Since we are keeping fluids separated from 2 moving surfaces we cannot use seals.

In regards to making a right turn and seeing smoke, I have not reports of that to me or my team minus what you just posted. What is very odd is what would make it a situation where it only happens when you turn right. Why not left? Nothing about the unit is directional in the sense that it would smoke or leak one direction and not the other.

Now a little context on the piston rings I talked about early. When the turbos are built the rings are gapped to spec. In order to "seal" the oil from leaving the CHRA and getting into the housings, the ring needs positive pressure to expand and but up to each other. Again same concept as an engine. Now the turbo is only seeing positive pressure when driving. So what can happen is let's say you are sitting in traffic for a really long time or been idling for like 20-30 minutes straight or so, That first hard pull after the long waiting can blow out some smoke, why? because the ring was not sealing to its full capacity and some oil can leak past the ring and then burn off. nothing to be alarmed about, it goes away pretty quick and is normal. So that could be what a person has seen.

Hope this helps answer your question.
Yeah idk people on facebook talk and said they have reported it with 27Won :dunno:. So your saying you have never seen this type of blue smoke yourself on runs or anything?

OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah idk people on facebook talk and said they have reported it with 27Won :dunno:. So your saying you have never seen this type of blue smoke yourself on runs or anything?
As of this post I have not.

David228cx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red Honda Civic Sport (EU)
Country flag
Been hearing about the W1 and for whatever reason making right turn and seeing blue smoke from oil burning through the oil seal?
Where did you hear this?
Sponsored