Type R Owners, Is it worth it to trade up my 2016 Civic EX-T for a Type R?

keatonS

2016 Civic EX-T 1.5L CVT
First Name
Keaton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T 1.5L CVT
Country flag
I got my EX-T in like mid January and ive been reading up on the Type R recently and now ive just been drooling over the thought of owning one. Is it a dumb idea to trade up my car already having owned it for only 3 months? Should i wait a while and pay it off more before trading? What do you think?
EDIT 3/5/19: Thanks for the replies guys, i obviously knew it wasnt the wisest financial decision but wanted to hear some opinions and if anyone else is/was in a similar situation. I really do love my EXT, its not like i dont enjoy the car, i should have mentioned that earlier my bad. I will definitely pay it off for a while (and maybe get a damn Ktuner) and see where im at in life a year or 2 down the road.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can you afford it? Do you really want it? The car is everything you read online, and if you want it that bad then do it. However, don’t strain yourself financially. You know what you can afford and what you can’t.

There’s also having to finding a dealer to sell you one for MSRP. Depending on where you live that could be a bit trickier than usual.

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
These "Should I trade in my brand new car" threads dumbfound me... It sounds like you just want people to tell you "yes, trade it" to validate a decision you already know is financially toxic.

Unless you can sell / trade your car and break even on it (including any money you put down), then NO, you should not do it.

But hey, the bottom line is: it's your money / debt / burden to bear so you can do what you want. The dealership will LOVE you.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
These threads always go sideways...

Anyway.

Just realize you will lose $3000 to $4000 on the trade-in plus the cost of the CTR. So this will be an expensive car. I personally cringe at increasing the cost of a car 10%. That’s a lot of ,ones to walk away from.

OP
OP
keatonS

keatonS

2016 Civic EX-T 1.5L CVT
First Name
Keaton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T 1.5L CVT
Country flag
These threads always go sideways...

Anyway.

Just realize you will lose $3000 to $4000 on the trade-in plus the cost of the CTR. So this will be an expensive car. I personally cringe at increasing the cost of a car 10%. That’s a lot of ,ones to walk away from.
Right, i knew money would be lost of course, just didnt know if people recommended waiting until it was paid off a bit or to just go for it. Ill probably wait a bit and save a little then go for it.

Flyingpiggie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2016 MX-5, 2008 Si
Country flag
Its probably not worth trading, i would just keep the ex and pay it off any wait till the type r go down in price or pick one up used. That is just my opinion tho

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Is a type R better? Ummm duh.
Is it worth trading? this is speculative but usually someone buying an ex-t isn't in the price range for a type R. as others say if you can afford it duh get the higher option, if you can't, then don't. I own an EX because i know how to stay in my financial lane.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Type R’s look obnoxious and can’t truly be enjoyed unless you’re planning on hitting the track

Incredible machine, no thanks as a daily driver

I’d keep your car, pay off, then trade in as a down payment in 3-5 years. Financially speaking, your car loses the most value in year 1 so trading it for an even higher priced car is (financially) not smart.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Type R’s look obnoxious and can’t truly be enjoyed unless you’re planning on hitting the track

Incredible machine, no thanks as a daily driver
Where do these thoughts come from??? You can definitely enjoy it as a daily driver. It is still a Civic at the end of the day.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Where do these thoughts come from??? You can definitely enjoy it as a daily driver. It is still a Civic at the end of the day.
While in traffic, which is when i do most of my driving, the huge spoiler and 3 exhaust tips wont be nearly as cool to warrant the increased cost as the CVT car i paid half the price for.

Now, if my Type R was chilling in the garage until track day/joy ride - woo hoo ... i respect the car, it’s a beast, I just think they look absolutely ridiculous driving around suburban side streets or stuck in city traffic. They look like they belong on the track ... they perform like they belong on the track ... i wouldn’t waste my money on a “performance daily driver”. I’m sure it is fun to merge onto highways without traffic though ...

Not anti-Type R, just don’t think I’d ever get to unleash it’s potential as often as I’d like to if it were my daily.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
While in traffic, which is when i do most of my driving, the huge spoiler and 3 exhaust tips wont be nearly as cool to warrant the increased cost as the CVT car i paid half the price for.

Now, if my Type R was chilling in the garage until track day/joy ride - woo hoo ... i respect the car, it’s a beast, I just think they look absolutely ridiculous driving around suburban side streets or stuck in city traffic. They look like they belong on the track ... they perform like they belong on the track ... i wouldn’t waste my money on a “performance daily driver”. I’m sure it is fun to merge onto highways without traffic though ...

Not anti-Type R, just don’t think I’d ever get to unleash it’s potential as often as I’d like to if it were my daily.
The Type R isn't any more overstyled than something like a modern STI. They both all have big wings, random vents, hood scoops, etc. Unless you're really close up to it, you don't really "see" all the extras. That said, I do daily my Type R because it's still a Civic (with all of its utility) with some extra grunt for when the road clears up, and boy is it fun when the road clears up just a little. The reward of being to take a turn hard simply because it occurred by chance or zooming through an on/off ramp because it's empty, even during my daily 30-minute commute...

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Back to the OP ... yes it is dumb to trade out of a car you’ve owned for such a short period of time - your car lost a lot of value as soon as you drove it off the lot. Financially, worst possible thing you can do - but if you can afford it that doesn’t matter.

Now, before people freak out - the type R is an incredible vehicle that i’m sure is a blast to drive ... financially I just can’t justify a car like that as my daily driver since - when i’m Doing most of my daily driving - I’d rarely be able to enjoy it’s prowess. So, I bought a CVT version for half the price, because that’s what I want for a daily driver.

I repeat, I like the Type-R and it is an incredible machine. I’ve seen 2 on the road, 1 in traffic crawling along with the rest of us and another driving in front of me that I had no issue with keeping pace with - because speed limits. Those absurd spoilers and tri-exhaust seemed a lot less cool in those moments.

Short version: buying a car and trading it 3 months later is definitely not smart (financially)

Carry on
Sponsored