civic si pricing difference.

stingray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX-P Coupe, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
idk if anyone has been over to the honda building site but the EX-L civic sedan is almost the same price as the SI and it comes with more features. yet the si owners turn their noses down on us because of 30 hp? better suspension? this isnt a racing car. it will NEVER be a racing car. its a cheap daily fuel efficient car. but im kinda surprised at how cheap the si is compared to regular ex-l sedan considering its supposed to have stronger body and parts and better performance. thoughts?:popcorn:
That 30 hp makes a difference, as does the suspension. If all someone need is boring transportation, a Fit will work

stingray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Going to debunk this out of pure 9-5 workday boredom.

If you're being sarcastic, thank you and I should have ignored this entirely.

If not, here you go: the Si and Type-R appeal to different markets. It is reductive to say Si owners all want a Type-R but couldn't afford it.

I can't realistically afford a Type-R but if I could, it would not be my first choice in the $35-40k range.
Wouldnā€™t be my first choice either. A Mustang GT convertible would be my choice in that price range.

OP
OP
NoHonor937

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
Wouldnā€™t be my first choice either. A Mustang GT convertible would be my choice in that price range.
Well ford just started fucking their mustang owners over by not recalling or warranty their engine ticks. Apparently thereā€™s piston scoring in their engines and ford wonā€™t cover it anymore. Not ever gonna buy one of those.

stingray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I donā€™t think buying an si over an ex-L or touring is wrong decision. If I could drive a Manual I wouldā€™ve bought an si. But I canā€™t so Iā€™m stuck with automatic. But I have come across ALOT of si owners who think they are BETTER. because they own a manual but in reality the pricing for an automatic EX-L or touring equals or exceeds the si which in reality price would equate better quality. A 30k car should be nicer than a 20k car. I donā€™t think any si owner is wrong for choosing it. I just noticed the prices are about the same an was wondering why if it such a better car.
Better depends on what ā€œbetterā€ means to you. I had a ā€˜16 Civic Coupe with the CVT. Hated that transmission, and got rid of it after 6 months. Like the car itself, but that tranny....ugh. My ā€˜19 Si is more fun to drive, by far.

stingray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well ford just started fucking their mustang owners over by not recalling or warranty their engine ticks. Apparently thereā€™s piston scoring in their engines and ford wonā€™t cover it anymore. Not ever gonna buy one of those.
Hadnā€™t heard that. Good thing I got the Si...now if only they made it in a ragtop!

NCMattJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
I mean...wouldn't the SI be a closer match to the 2019 Civic Sport but with a beefier engine, stiffer suspension and a different bumper? Also, Si has no Honda Sensing.

Barb_s

First Name
Barb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST 2018 Civic Si 1991 ZR1 Corvette
Country flag
I bought my SI to autocross because it is classed well. The type R had less favorable comments from people who have autocrossed it. Thatā€™s the reason I bought the SI - Plus for a daily driver I like a very firm suspension and the SI has that.

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I mean...wouldn't the SI be a closer match to the 2019 Civic Sport but with a beefier engine, stiffer suspension and a different bumper? Also, Si has no Honda Sensing.
Good point, the Sport is a good deal. I didn't realize the EX comes standard with the turbo for 2019.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
idk if anyone has been over to the honda building site but the EX-L civic sedan is almost the same price as the SI and it comes with more features. yet the si owners turn their noses down on us because of 30 hp? better suspension? this isnt a racing car. it will NEVER be a racing car. its a cheap daily fuel efficient car. but im kinda surprised at how cheap the si is compared to regular ex-l sedan considering its supposed to have stronger body and parts and better performance. thoughts?:popcorn:
30hp is not a little bit when it comes to an engine that hardly makes any power anyway. The lack of LSD alone in the other trims is enough reasons to buy an Si over an EX-L, totally different driving characteristics. I donā€™t think Honda ever said that the Si has a stronger body or internals.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
30hp is not a little bit when it comes to an engine that hardly makes any power anyway. The lack of LSD alone in the other trims is enough reasons to buy an Si over an EX-L, totally different driving characteristics. I donā€™t think Honda ever said that the Si has a stronger body or internals.
Honda has put out a lot of info about the Si. Things like the thicker sway bars would stiffen the body.

So far as internals, awhile back Derek had tested the rods, which are a different part number than the base ones and saw that the Si's rods were a bit harder.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/comparison-of-base-1-5t-and-si-1-5t-connecting-rods.21416/

We also have had several folks with non-Sis with rod issues after tuning, though their tuning was pretty poorly executed. I don't know of any Si's that have had a failure of their rods yet.

They do have a lower compression ratio due to different pistons as well.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
Honda has put out a lot of info about the Si. Things like the thicker sway bars would stiffen the body.

So far as internals, awhile back Derek had tested the rods, which are a different part number than the base ones and saw that the Si's rods were a bit harder.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/comparison-of-base-1-5t-and-si-1-5t-connecting-rods.21416/

We also have had several folks with non-Sis with rod issues after tuning, though their tuning was pretty poorly executed. I don't know of any Si's that have had a failure of their rods yet.

They do have a lower compression ratio due to different pistons as well.
Thicker sway bars isnā€™t ā€œstronger bodyā€. The Type R has a stronger body. Thicker sway bars is suspension tuning. The Si has the CR-Vā€™s engine, copy-pasta, with a premium fuel requirement putting it at 200hp. They are not performance oriented engines and anyone who leads you to believe it is, is laughing at you. Different part number doesnā€™t mean stronger.

The stronger body and forged internals are found in the Type R. The Si has a better steering and suspension including the two modes, more power but same engine, and the most important characteristic is an LSD and two mode over the EX-L. Then you have the bucket seats, and more lively interior.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You're turning this into a CTR vs Si comparison. This is a EX-L vs Si comparison.

I am aware of the vast differences between a K-series engine and the L, and the L's modest beginnings. I've had 3 previous K-powered cars and read up on the K20C1s a great deal. Given the choice I would have preferred the Si stick with a K-series engine like it had the last 3 generations, as a K20C4 would have been the most likely variant. To match the 9th gens $24k Si price point and not to encroach on the CTRs performance territory, they made their choice. Had they put a C4 in a Si at that price point, even with the vastly better track capabilities of the CTR, I think it would have really made the CTR not seemed as appealing for the non-track goers or people who had no interest in the mystic of a type R.

I agree the Si and CRV engines and turbos are the same.

Why they went with a 9 vane vice 11 on a vehicle that could have done with torque a little earlier as it's rated to tow, unlike the Civic, makes little sense to me... but the engineers knew better I suppose. It's good for the Si trim in the long run as equivalent parts will be plentiful as they years wear on at the salvage yards.

I will conced that discussing swap bars "stiffening the body" is suspension-related... which also has the differences of bushings, springs and control arms. Better brakes to stop it all, bringing the gap between the CTRs stopping distances and the EX-Ls.

I'm here to provide a little knowledge, admittedly much of it not firsthand but through reading and remembering threads to share, and entertainment interchangeably. If me sticking to what this thread was about and then linking a thread to show a test that was done to compare the difference between base rods vs Si rods gives you a chuckle even if you dismissed any internal differences between them, I'm succeeding either way. You keep enjoying that CTR and having a glass-half-empty, at best, POV on the Si's. It's way more than 1/2 full to me. :thumbsup:

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Not exactly true. They are offering buybacks. I actually just picked up a 19' Mustang GT Premium. Got tired of the SI on TSP Stage 1, weak clutch, turbo lag between shifts, horrible sounding exhaust (even aftermarket options) didn't feel like putting money into clutch, after 17 months not looking back. I debated a Type-R but doesn't fit my needs as it would just be a SI on steriods and horrible exhaust sound.

And if my engine does have a problem I will push for a buyback and just drive my 00' VW VR6 GTI until it dies or a hybrid/gas performance car shows up or go full electric.

OP
OP
NoHonor937

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
Not exactly true. They are offering buybacks. I actually just picked up a 19' Mustang GT Premium. Got tired of the SI on TSP Stage 1, weak clutch, turbo lag between shifts, horrible sounding exhaust (even aftermarket options) didn't feel like putting money into clutch, after 17 months not looking back. I debated a Type-R but doesn't fit my needs as it would just be a SI on steriods and horrible exhaust sound. lol
Why are you still here then. Go compare your dick size around in the ford forums.
Sponsored