First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
I got a pretty good chuckle out of that one, thanks lol

The main problem is people will call anything something other than what it is to make more money on it. "Organic" produce is a perfect example of this. In order to qualify for "organic" you just have to not use a pesticide that's on a list of non-organic pesticides. Doesn't mean you don't use pesticides, you just don't use the ones on that list. Same with "free-range eggs". In order to put "free range" on your box, your chickens need to be outside a minimum of 6 hours a day. The other 18 hours they are crammed in a 2ft² box.

It's the exact same way with oils. People will call their oil "synthetic" and charge more money for it because they can, even if it's only 7.3% synthetic blend. They just leave off the "7.3%" and "blend" part of it.
Agree . . .. I have used regular Castrol GTX in my '03 Civic EX for about 200K miles at 5 to 6 K mile OCI and had no problems, doesn't burn excessive oil. Any oil is good as long as it meets the rating, however, synthetic(s)/blends do flow better in cold weather.

OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Here's my UOA on my Si
Thanks for sharing. IMHO, looks pretty good despite the higher FD reading.

Did you swap out your factory fill early? If so, that would likely explain the elevated wear metals.

Also, did you get this over to @Snoopyslr to add to the UOA database?

ToastedSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Thanks for sharing. IMHO, looks pretty good despite the higher FD reading.

Did you swap out your factory fill early? If so, that would likely explain the elevated wear metals.

Also, did you get this over to @Snoopyslr to add to the UOA database?
yea, i switched it out around 2k, which in hindsight, was probably a mistake... haha.
and. i sent it over so its in the database.

OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Thanks. I wouldn't worry... it won't really do anything except reportedly delay the break-in period. :cool:

ToastedSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
that's what im hoping for. will update around 15k.
also, moving forward, I'm thinking of switching oils. i'm thinking mobil 1 or penzoil after this OCI

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
I called a shop last week and they told me not come in until yhe 6,000 miles for my first oil change. He could’ve easily said 3,000 but told me to wait so imma trust the mechs.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I called a shop last week and they told me not come in until yhe 6,000 miles for my first oil change. He could’ve easily said 3,000 but told me to wait so imma trust the mechs.
The problem is every person who drives this car will have different MM oil life alerts. Somebody who is driving down town LA stop-go traffic all day long might come on at 3000 miles. Somebody who drives 100 miles expressway a day might not come on until 12,000 miles. Honda spent all this time developing an algorithm to calculate the optimal time to change the oil based on how the vehicle is driven, I'd trust it. That algorithm is going to er on the side of caution drastically too. Honda doesn't want to be handing out engines to people because they wanted longer oil change intervals for their customers.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I wonder if anyone here tried the Liquid Moly Ceratec on the turbocharged Civic?
I have been using it since my first oil change on 2016 Touring. I am up to 60K miles with no issues.

M1KL83

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback LX 6MT, 2002 Honda Accord SE 5MT
Country flag
IIRC, 0W-20 is only available as a synthetic blend or above. As long as it carries the API seal you're good. :thumbsup:
Any data out there for Royal Purple in our 1.5L Civic's?
I know it carries the API seal but I don't see much talk of Royal Purple in this discussion group.
Do you or others have an opinion on it for our Turbo engines? I drive an '18 Hatchback LX 6MT as my daily driver. I've stocked up on A01 OEM filters and I'm shopping for a synthetic oil to pair them with; Royal Purple 0W20 at my local shop happens to be on a great sale...and sadly AMSOIL isn't near as readily available where I am located in Canada.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any data out there for Royal Purple in our 1.5L Civic's?
I know it carries the API seal but I don't see much talk of Royal Purple in this discussion group.
Do you or others have an opinion on it for our Turbo engines? I drive an '18 Hatchback LX 6MT as my daily driver. I've stocked up on A01 OEM filters and I'm shopping for a synthetic oil to pair them with; Royal Purple 0W20 at my local shop happens to be on a great sale...and sadly AMSOIL isn't near as readily available where I am located in Canada.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
I ran Royal Purple in my old Eagle Talon and it seemed to like it. This was back in early 2000 and I didn't know about oil analysis back then. Engine seemed to love it tho. I had a really beefy cam and strong valve springs and it was quieter than the Mobil 1 I first poured into the new build.

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
Interesting that very expensive oils are desirable ? I love America and . . . . marketing.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting that very expensive oils are desirable ? I love America and . . . . marketing.
Go look at the analysis reports.

This isn't a marketing scheme. A marketing scheme is Apple selling $1000 iPhones with 3 year old processors and $5000 Mac that contain $1500 worth of hardware while proclaiming they're the best.

There is a big difference between Honda's OEM oil and AMSOIL. There's a difference, tho not very big, between AMSOIL and Mobil 1. You just have to decide for yourself which product your comfortable running.

M1KL83

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback LX 6MT, 2002 Honda Accord SE 5MT
Country flag
I'd really like to use Amsoil SS 0W20 but after looking at my Canadian Owners manual for my '18 Hatchback LX 1.5T, I fear that Amsoil Signature Series is missing one very important part for keeping my warranty in check..the lack of the API Certification seal.
Does Amsoil SS have the cert. seal doughnut/starburst on their containers anywhere??

Honda Civic 10th gen The Oil Thread Screenshot_20190220-152639_Drive
Sponsored