Not just another Type R
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hello everyone, I’ve being searching for a thread that has detailed info about the oil life time, but so far no luck. I know this is kind of irrelevant, because not every single car and driving are the same, but here I go. I have done my first oil and filter change about a 1.5 month ago, and right now my oil life status is telling me that is 60%, and I’ve drove around 1400 miles or less after the service. Well, literally my daily driving distance is about 80 miles a week, which I think is relatively short. Also, I don’t beat up my car every time I hit the road. I change gears at around 3000 rpm. So nothing to less, does anyone know if this is normal, that in such a short time my oil life is dropping “drastically”? Tbh, this is my first experience with this, so my apologies if this sound quite dumb to y’all. Thanks.
Sponsored

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
There have been a few posts about the oil life monitor showing a very rapid decrease in oil life, but it doesn't seem to be the norm.

I'm still on the factory fill, at 2950 miles and still reading 60% (I think it's going to drop to 50% any day now.)

It would be very unusual for some programming that runs on a CPU and processes some input for calculations to only perform differently on specific cars.

Do you spend a lot of time idling in traffic? Do you turn on and off the engine more than 1-2x per day? Are you spending most of your time at a low speed, like under 40MPH vs. highway speeds?

Maybe we can determine something about your driving habits that dictate a short oil life.

I wonder if after I change the factory fill if my oil life reading will go quickly (rumored to be programmed for the factory fill to make sure you run it a specific amount for break-in purposes.)

OP
OP
gva2984

gva2984

Not just another Type R
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
There have been a few posts about the oil life monitor showing a very rapid decrease in oil life, but it doesn't seem to be the norm.

I'm still on the factory fill, at 2950 miles and still reading 60% (I think it's going to drop to 50% any day now.)

It would be very unusual for some programming that runs on a CPU and processes some input for calculations to only perform differently on specific cars.

Do you spend a lot of time idling in traffic? Do you turn on and off the engine more than 1-2x per day? Are you spending most of your time at a low speed, like under 40MPH vs. highway speeds?

Maybe we can determine something about your driving habits that dictate a short oil life.

I wonder if after I change the factory fill if my oil life reading will go quickly (rumored to be programmed for the factory fill to make sure you run it a specific amount for break-in purposes.)
To answer your questions, I do not idle my car just when I need to. Yes, I do start up the engine quite a few times a day, around 4 to 6 times. I’d usually drive at 45 mph. Do you think this might be the issue?

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
do not, i repeat, do not pay attention to that maintenance minder bullshit. many generations before maintenance minders existed, we were changing our oil in our hondas every 4/5k miles and our cars lasted hundreds of thousands of miles.

nycmikey2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My car has 15k miles and I have only done 1 oil change ... is at 30% now so one is coming soon ... I commute 80 miles a day 4 days a week and on the 5th day usually use my wife’s car to keep the miles down.

OP
OP
gva2984

gva2984

Not just another Type R
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
do not, i repeat, do not pay attention to that maintenance minder bullshit. many generations before maintenance minders existed, we were changing our oil in our hondas every 4/5k miles and our cars lasted hundreds of thousands of miles.
I used to have a 1995 Civic ex several years ago and tbh, I was a little irresponsible when it came down to maintanence, but I swear that car never broke. However, this new gen engines, I think they’re more demanding than the others. I never owned a turbocharged engine, so my apologies if I sound a little picky about this. And with this oil dilution thing... I really like this car, so I’m planning to keep it for a long time. Thanks though

OP
OP
gva2984

gva2984

Not just another Type R
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My car has 15k miles and I have only done 1 oil change ... is at 30% now so one is coming soon ... I commute 80 miles a day 4 days a week and on the 5th day usually use my wife’s car to keep the miles down.
Holy crap...mine only has 9100k. I bought this car used and when I bought it had 6500k.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
To answer your questions, I do not idle my car just when I need to. Yes, I do start up the engine quite a few times a day, around 4 to 6 times. I’d usually drive at 45 mph. Do you think this might be the issue?
The oil life system has proven to be fairly accurate, based on the available readouts we have so far. But if you're skeptical, you can run a used oil analysis for around $30 and see how things held up. Blackstone offers some very colorful commentary with their readouts, which is who I tend to recommend.

Oil life is measured several ways, ranging from ambient temps to throttle position to cold start cycles. If you do a lot of shorter, low mileage trips - oil life will trickle down at a much faster rate than someone who does a 40 mile commute each way. We've seen the oil life trigger as low as 2.8K between intervals. So I'd say you're well within the norm.

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (Sold), 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec (SH-AWD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm at 30% oil life on the factory fill w/ almost 7k miles on the odometer. I typically only drive it twice a day (to and from work) about 20 miles each way.

rive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I work with a shop that has never steered me wrong in the past and has never attempted to price gouge me or work me over for excess services. When I told the mechanic this would be my first turbocharged engine, he said "just get the oil changed every 5k miles and it will be fine."

This backs up a conversation I had with a Hyundai marketing person last year who said that they originally planned to recommend a 5k interval on their turbo engines, but after doing a number of focus groups they discovered consumers were aggressively opposed to that schedule. So instead of lasting 250k miles as engineered, Hyundai now expects their turbocharged engines to run about 150k miles if people follow the 7.5k mile oil change schedule they are now recommending and that their maintenance minders are programmed to push for. I have no idea if Honda has anything similar going on, but I would rather be safe than sorry. It may be late in the engine's life, but that's still a lot of mileage to lose over something as simple as oil change frequency.

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I say every 1,000 miles and don't tune your vehicle. You want to keep the car running forever right?

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Joke aside. Please read the info below. Nothing lasts forever, so do the best you can and enjoy your new car!

Handling Precautions

The turbocharger is a high-precision device to obtain greater horsepower by delivering a large volume of compressed air into the engine using a turbine driven by the engine’s exhaust gas pressure.

• When the engine is cold just after starting, avoid revving the engine or sudden acceleration.

• Always replace the engine oil and engine oil filter according to the Maintenance Minder. The turbine rotates at very high speeds over 100,000 rpm and its temperature reaches over 1,292°F (700°C). It is lubricated and cooled by engine oil. If you fail to replace the engine oil and filter at the scheduled distance or interval, deteriorated engine oil may cause failure such as sticking and abnormal noise of the turbine bearing.

*1: If a Maintenance Minder message does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year.

*2: If you drive in dusty conditions, replace the air cleaner element every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).

*3: If you drive primarily in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air from industry and from diesel-powered vehicles, replace the dust and pollen filter every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).

*4: Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds results in higher transmission temperatures. This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed every 25,000 miles (40,000 km).

Last edited:
OP
OP
gva2984

gva2984

Not just another Type R
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm at 30% oil life on the factory fill w/ almost 7k miles on the odometer. I typically only drive it twice a day (to and from work) about 20 miles each way.
I also do short trips from work to home, but there’s only 7.2 miles one way. I do let my my car to warm up before I start to drive, but it still concern me this oil consumption.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
When I told the mechanic this would be my first turbocharged engine, he said "just get the oil changed every 5k miles and it will be fine."
That advice could be said for basically any modern vehicle, turbocharged or not. He wasn't exactly dropping any knowledge bombs on you there.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag