Status
Not open for further replies.

ZIOPsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic SI, 15 Mini Cooper S
Country flag
Hi guys I've been driving 18 civic si for about 3months and man what a disappointment. I came from a 2015 mini cooper S that I feel was in every aspect a much better and exciting car to drive.

The Si literally has no power. Its flat and boring (down shift to 3rd at 60mph and feels like a lawnmower). I used to have a 2000 integer GSR and I loved that car (intake headers cat back) the car was fun and never stopped pulling.

Also no one can hear me when I call them using bluetooth audio. They say it sounds like I'm under water or just lots of static. Ive brought it to Honda dealership they replaced the microphone but are uniquely out of clues to what it could be.

IDK I'm very dissapointed with the performance of the car. wondering if anyone else feels this way.
Sponsored

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had one and yeah it sucked. Traded it in on a new sport Prius. That car is a rocket compared to the Si.

DallasCRX

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 Honda GL1100 GoldWing Interstate, 1986 Honda CRX Si, 2009 Honda CRF250X, 2009 Aprilia Shiver, 2010 Nissan Frontier, 2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hi guys I've been driving 18 civic si for about 3months and man what a disappointment. I came from a 2015 mini cooper S that I feel was in every aspect a much better and exciting car to drive.

The Si literally has no power. Its flat and boring (down shift to 3rd at 60mph and feels like a lawnmower). I used to have a 2000 integer GSR and I loved that car (intake headers cat back) the car was fun and never stopped pulling.

Also no one can hear me when I call them using bluetooth audio. They say it sounds like I'm under water or just lots of static. Ive brought it to Honda dealership they replaced the microphone but are uniquely out of clues to what it could be.

IDK I'm very dissapointed with the performance of the car. wondering if anyone else feels this way.
Yeah not buying it lol. Those two cars are way too close in spec and performance. But if you're really that dissatisfied, ship it north and I'll gladly drive it for 3 months to compare and verify! :D

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.

With regards to the Bluetooth sound quality, if I take a call via Bluetooth it sucks for both me and the other end of the line. If I use Android Auto to make or take a call, it's worlds better for both ends. Cars having poor audio quality on Bluetooth phone implementations is nothing new. I'm just glad Android Auto gives me the option of making phone calls that don't suck.

Considering that Car and Driver has the souped up 2015 Mini Cooper John Cooper Works with the 228 HP 2.0L Turbo going around their VIR lightning lap slower than the 2017 Si Coupe, it's obvious that your experience that your Mini Cooper S feels superior is just that - feels.

The mini cooper can't stand with the genx Si. Only the top dawg John Cooper Works fully loaded with every performance option can come close.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag

It has more to do with the HP/TQ relationship. Honda runs a conservative TQ curve for both long term reliability and fuel economy. If you don't like it, run a tune and bump up the TQ by 30-40 ft/lbs. But like everyone else reading this, I'm surprised you didn't sense the deficit during the test drive lol.

Try using a different phone for Bluetooth to determine if the issue is the car or connection/device. And like others have suggested, try running it through AA/Carplay. GL.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
The mini cooper can't stand with the genx Si. Only the top dawg John Cooper Works fully loaded with every performance option can come close.
And weren't those like 30k+ lol

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag

Russian propaganda bot detected! (joking, obviously)

Whyd you get rid of the Mini?

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
Interesting.

I was seriously going to sign on today and tell everyone about my first 2 adventures into triple digits in my "stock" ride. I find this car amazing. But, I'm old and senile.

Before you trade it, you may want to take the money you'd lose and drop in the new turbo and a tuner kit. That may bring the joy you seek.

MarkR171

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si, '17 MX5, '01 Miata
Country flag
In this thread: salty civic owners.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Not everyone will like the same car you like. There are some disappointing things about the dynamics of the car, in my opinion, but I'm generally satisfied with it. Rev hang, turbo lag, pedal spacing all detract from the driving experience, and might be better in OP's MINI making it more fun to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.