MeanGreenSi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Accord Sport
Country flag
So like the title says I’m thinking of upgrading my steering wheel to either a type r or buddy club on my Si. Any tips, tricks, pros and cons of each would be appreciated.
Sponsored

mofoD

First Name
D$
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aegean Blue '18 Si Coupe (Toy), White Orchid Pearl '16 Accord Touring V6 Coupe (Daily)
Country flag
im a carbon fiber guy myself so id choose buddy club. but if red is your thing go type r.

jayee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (Sold), 2020 BMW M2C
Country flag
Here is the full leather buddy club wheel, I prefer it over the type R wheel however the type R wheel is priced much more reasonably. I've only ever been in a Type R once but IIRC the Buddy club compared to the Type R has a more aggressive flat bottom and deeper grooves at 9 and 3.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R vs Buddy Club steering wheel. IMG_1003

OP
OP
MeanGreenSi

MeanGreenSi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here is the full leather buddy club wheel, I prefer it over the type R wheel however the type R wheel is priced much more reasonably. I've only ever been in a Type R once but IIRC the Buddy club compared to the Type R has a more aggressive flat bottom and deeper grooves at 9 and 3.

IMG_1003.jpg
That is my dilemma, I want to go full leather and prefer the way the buddy club looks over the type r but not sure if I prefer it enough to fork out the extra $200. How do the thickness compare on type r to your buddy club

mofoD

First Name
D$
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aegean Blue '18 Si Coupe (Toy), White Orchid Pearl '16 Accord Touring V6 Coupe (Daily)
Country flag
hey jayee, how is the quality holding up so far?

didnt even know buddy club made a steering wheel till this thread. just ordered the carbon one. i know its not real cf but buddy club wheel looks rad.

jayee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (Sold), 2020 BMW M2C
Country flag
That is my dilemma, I want to go full leather and prefer the way the buddy club looks over the type r but not sure if I prefer it enough to fork out the extra $200. How do the thickness compare on type r to your buddy club
Pretty much the same thickness.

didnt even know buddy club made a steering wheel till this thread. just ordered the carbon one. i know its not real cf but buddy club wheel looks rad.
The only minor issue that I had was that some of the red stitching came frayed. I snipped the loose ends as it was not enough for the threading to come undone and it has been fine since.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I personally don't see the hype behind the CTR wheel. It's the same wheel with some red leather. I'd sooner get the fake CF Buddy Club wheel if I had to choose between the two. I'd buy an actual CF wheel if money were no object but sadly, that isn't the case.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag

I've seen other no name brands selling the exact same wheel Buddy Club puts their name on for less. Not sure what's going on there.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Friend of mine has the Buddy Club CF Steering wheel. The moment I saw it and felt it, I knew I wanted it.

mofoD

First Name
D$
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've seen other no name brands selling the exact same wheel Buddy Club puts their name on for less. Not sure what's going on there.
yep i seen that too. just like morimoto/j`s racing headlights being the same damn headlight but priced much differently....its all personal preference. some people want name brand and dont mind spending more just on the printed logo lol and then there is some people who dont care for name brand and save money because of it. theres a market for everyone. for me ive always wanted something buddy club. fake cf and all. lol.

OP
OP
MeanGreenSi

MeanGreenSi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wanted something with a flat base, depending how I like the ctr I may switch to buddy club later since it has a more defined flat base. But the ctr red wheel will help tie the red si logos on my seats and floor mats and red dash lights all together I think

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hopefully I can shed some clear light on this :)

I helped launch the what is more commonly known as the Buddy Club wheel, on my Si in November 2017 - Wheel #001 if you would. There was no branding at that time.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R vs Buddy Club steering wheel. upload_2019-1-22_11-16-51

The branded version came out a few months later in early 2018, so there's really no copy cats / phonies etc. It's all the same. I retail them offline, and as others have guessed it for a little less than the branded version.

Really enjoyed the wheel on my Si, I put 20,000kms (12k miles) on my car in 14 months with the Hydrocarbon version aka water-transfer print. It's cheaper than actual Carbon Fiber but isn't a cheap process if you look up quotes to have items done the same way. The wheel had me fooled at first for real CF, as it's 95% accurate. This past Friday I swapped it out for the Leather version, and am really enjoying the look and feel - definitely an OEM+ feel, compared to Aftermarket feel of the CF version. The measurements are pretty much the same, and one looking better than the other is all subjective :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R vs Buddy Club steering wheel. IMG_20181028_162915

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R vs Buddy Club steering wheel. IMG_20190119_092107

What I do love is how much better both HandKraftd versions are than the OEM Si wheel, or the CTR wheel which is just a re-trimmed and slightly shaved from the bottom version of the Si wheel. I got each one weighed out of curiosity, and measured the top grip, 10-2 grip, and 9-3 grip. Both feel noticeably chunkier in the hands, and either HandKrafd version weighs 1.9kg vs. 1.2kg weight of the Si OEM wheel - the additional 700 grams of weight provides a solid feeling in the hands, but I can't comment to whether there's any impact on more direct steering feel. The material is also much nicer to hold and resistant to wear unlike the OEM wheel.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R vs Buddy Club steering wheel. Screenshot_20190122_131320

In regards to real carbon fiber, this wheel can be done in CF, but it hasn't been so far due to cost - rough estimate is double. Most Civic owners aren't willing to pay that amount, but if someone reaches out to me offline I could get you details. Please don't PM me, I'm not a CivicX site vendor and I don't want to break any site advertising rules. Regardless of whoever you buy from, hope this helps clear up information. Cheers!

Last edited:

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
The wheel had me fooled at first for real CF, as it's 95% accurate.
In person, it looks like fake carbon fiber. A nice fake carbon, but fake nonetheless.

As for the CTR wheel, it was a great upgrade at the 40 bucks the part used to cost.
Sponsored