245/35/20 DON'T DO IT!

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ CTR
Country flag
Thanks for the review. But, i think the majority of people(at least that's what I assume) get the thicker tire to save their wheels a bit from pot holes. So obviously, this is the trade off. I doubt people get the tires for performance reasons if they did, you're review will really help them decide.
+1....been running 245/35R20 Eagle Sport A/S on OEM wheels for rougher roads and colder weather. Didn’t expect them to perform the same as a great sticky Summer tire. I am 3k miles in with no issues at all, they grip well in cold, rain & ice.

@OP - thanks for sharing, definitely like reading about experiences of others with the car.
Sponsored

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
Thanks for the review. But, i think the majority of people(at least that's what I assume) get the thicker tire to save their wheels a bit from pot holes. So obviously, this is the trade off. I doubt people get the tires for performance reasons if they did, you're review will really help them decide.
I may be one of the few that got a replacement tire simply for performance reasons. I got ps4s in 255/30/20. They are a little bit thicker than the stock 245/30/20. I do benefit from a little more cushion though.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I may be one of the few that got a replacement tire simply for performance reasons. I got ps4s in 255/30/20. They are a little bit thicker than the stock 245/30/20. I do benefit from a little more cushion though.
Do you find they are able to put the power down in 2nd gear better than the stock tires?

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
Do you find they are able to put the power down in 2nd gear better than the stock tires?
I think it does a little. I haven't been driving it hard as much as of late since the temperatures have been pretty low. If i drive it in the 40s I don't goof in it too much. I think it grips a little better overall. the tires are a tiny bit wider but quite a bit thicker.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
This post is to discuss the differences in using taller sidewall on the FK8. (My POV)

I purchased the Falken FK510 tires a few weeks ago in a 245/35/20.

I immediately noticed the steering response was much slower but wanted to put a few miles to break in the tire. That still hasn't changed, while it is more comfortable the car lost its edge and feels off.
Most importantly the acceleration has been muted, it's not nearly as visceral when WOT in second gear.

The car just doesn't pull as hard as before. (bone stock)
After a year you know your car, and it's not placebo it's real.
Personally, the tradeoff for comfort wasn't worth it.
I'm pretty sure it's the added sidewall and small but significant increase in diameter.
The calculation in tire size online doesn't tell the whole story, there is a reason Honda used the 30 profile.
I will be looking to go back to the stock size tire within a few months.

P.S.

The tire itself is not bad, not quite as much grip as stock, but no slouch.
That tire size difference has nothing to do with acceleration. It’s beyond illogical.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I suspected that changing size would hurt performance- that seems to be the consensus. So keeping the OEM Contis for now....

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Interesting in Past reviews when people change tire sidewall size here Members have stated that they feel no huge difference in performance. Yes you get a softer ride and not as sharp of a turn in as before, but the Sharp performance is still there and it works for daily driving. So why are we rolling back this consensus?

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting in Past reviews when people change tire sidewall size here Members have stated that they feel no huge difference in performance. Yes you get a softer ride and not as sharp of a turn in as before, but the Sharp performance is still there and it works for daily driving. So why are we rolling back this consensus?
BECAUSE the OP on this thread went with a taller sidewall tire but KEPT the 20'' tires and rims size...what you need to do is go with a slightly taller sidewall tire YES, but go DOWN in size to a 19'' or 18"' rim to compensate...otherwise you get a bigger circumference wheel which is not good.

Last edited:

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
BECAUSE the OP on this thread went with a taller sidewall tire but KEPT the 20'' tires and rims size...what you need to do is go with a slightly taller sidewall tire YES, but go DOWN in size to a 19'' or 18"' wheel to compensate...otherwise you get a bigger circumference wheel which is not good.
people here run 245/35 -20 on stock wheels just fine

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
people here run 245/35 -20 on stock wheels just fine
Well from what I've read he also went with tires that are sub par when compared to what originally came on the car so probably a combination of a bigger overall diameter wheel, crappy tires, and too high expectations perhaps ?...

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'll never get over people calling the stock Conti's sticky. Even on stock power they never held traction for me.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah they don't feel as planted for me as other people claim. I am on Sport mode, and it feels like the car is going to lift up...Def feeling major body roll on stock tires. It is not confidence inspiring ...

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Horse pucky! I went with 245/35-20 Conti in an all season tire. No problems what so ever. Softened the ride some and maybe tamed the explosive(read unusable) low end response in 1st and 2nd gears, but I can still light the tires from a dig or shift if I want in 1/2/3 gears. I don't race around town like I'm running the Ring and these tires seem as good as the originals and do NOT destroy the handling characteristics of the Type R. IMHO.
BECAUSE the OP on this thread went with a taller sidewall tire but KEPT the 20'' tires and rims size...what you need to do is go with a slightly taller sidewall tire YES, but go DOWN in size to a 19'' or 18"' rim to compensate...otherwise you get a bigger circumference wheel which is not good.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
'Not as sharp turn in' sounds like less performance to me. As for not being sticky or lifting up, hadn't noticed that. No they are not as sticky as the OEM Yokohama's that came on my MR2-S, but they work very well when pushed hard through corners.
That said, may try something else when their life is up.
I asked the tire tech how long I probably had on my Conti's.
'Ten.'
'Ten what? Ten months? Ten weeks??' 'Nine...'
Sponsored