FK7Hatch

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hello, how's TYC compare to OEM ? Thanks
I'd say about 85%. One of the bolt holes from the assemblies to the car didn't line up, and after 6 months it looks as if the top protective UV layer is starting to peel.
Sponsored

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
I'd say about 85%. One of the bolt holes from the assemblies to the car didn't line up, and after 6 months it looks as if the top protective UV layer is starting to peel.
That stinks. My cousin bought a pair of replica lights for his rsx years ago and the same thing happened. I'll have to hack the oem lights if I ever attempt a retrofit

yamin1021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex
Country flag
You should post more night pics ! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Retrofit Source has big discounts for black friday if anyone is planning on doing this.

cestjoel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Damn. That’s awesome. So, were they really a direct bolt on?

I know that even the bracket that TRS supplies for their MH1 RetroQuik even requires some cutting.

OP
OP
FK7Hatch

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Damn. That’s awesome. So, were they really a direct bolt on?

I know that even the bracket that TRS supplies for their MH1 RetroQuik even requires some cutting.
Some cutting here too

mcbacon

First Name
Vinney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX w/Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Some cutting here too
I'm really on the fence about using the 4TL-R which is a 2.5" projector that should theoretically be an easier bolt-in or going for the MD2S 5.0 (or, on the low end, a pair of Acme D2s for a budget build) where I'll have to do some trimming of the housing itself and some adaptation because they're a 3".

For bulb were those Maxima projectors originally intended? D5S? Those seem to be some really intense squirrel finders.

Nice work, though. The pictures and documentation are wicked helpful!

OP
OP
FK7Hatch

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm really on the fence about using the 4TL-R which is a 2.5" projector that should theoretically be an easier bolt-in or going for the MD2S 5.0 (or, on the low end, a pair of Acme D2s for a budget build) where I'll have to do some trimming of the housing itself and some adaptation because they're a 3".

For bulb were those Maxima projectors originally intended? D5S? Those seem to be some really intense squirrel finders.

Nice work, though. The pictures and documentation are wicked helpful!
D2S is the original bulb for the Maximas. Im curious about the 4TL-Rs.. if I had to do another pair, I would cut up the original halogen shields and use them as a bracket for the 4TL-Rs

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If I can convince my mom to buy a Retro-Quik for her Accord, that comes with the 4TL-R lamps. My buddy has OEM TL lamps with clear lenses in his Fiesta ST and they are pretty damn good.

mcbacon

First Name
Vinney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX w/Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
D2S is the original bulb for the Maximas. Im curious about the 4TL-Rs.. if I had to do another pair, I would cut up the original halogen shields and use them as a bracket for the 4TL-Rs
Do you happen to have the halogen projectors laying around to get some measurements and/or pictures of the mount holes and overall dimensions? I can compare them to the 4TL-R or the OEM TL units and may be able to easily fabricate adapter brackets from sheet metal or FRP (or even 3D print them!) to make life easier for those who want to follow.

mcbacon

First Name
Vinney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX w/Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If I can convince my mom to buy a Retro-Quik for her Accord, that comes with the 4TL-R lamps. My buddy has OEM TL lamps with clear lenses in his Fiesta ST and they are pretty damn good.
Very good to know, thanks. I wonder if we share the same halogen projectors with the Accord and the retro-quik kit will be a good way to get a prefab adapter bracket that doesn't require modification.

OP
OP
FK7Hatch

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you happen to have the halogen projectors laying around to get some measurements and/or pictures of the mount holes and overall dimensions? I can compare them to the 4TL-R or the OEM TL units and may be able to easily fabricate adapter brackets from sheet metal or FRP (or even 3D print them!) to make life easier for those who want to follow.
I have them somewhere.... I think.. have to check when I get home

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did some very quick and dirty measurements with some calipers at my desk a while ago. My intention was to model up a D2S bracket that would utilize factory halogen mounting and allow you to mount a D2S Mini. I'm at work right now and my PC at home has a dead graphics card... so this is all I can contribute right now. I also have a picture of the halogen lamp mounting somewhere.

Solidworks 2016 file

DXF File

Last edited:

spaghettixsauce

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I did some very quick and dirty measurements with some calipers at my desk a while ago. My intention was to model up a D2S bracket that would utilize factory halogen mounting and allow you to mount a D2S Mini. I'm at work right now and my PC at home has a dead graphics card... so this is all I can contribute right now. I also have a picture of the halogen lamp mounting somewhere.
A Mini D2S 5.0 projector will fit. You'll have to trim the shroud if you want to keep it, and enlarge the projector hole to fit the 3in. projector. I wanted to retain factory height adjustments and factory shroud without cutting the back of the headlight as well. I was able to achieve all of this by customizing the OEM shield (which happens to be the mounting bracket as well) and mounting that to my new projector. This is where I'm at currently. I haven't sealed the light back up yet, just set the lens on top to take the pic.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190108201946895_COVER
Sponsored