Canadian Battery Replacement?

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Anyone know what is a good replacement battery for our OEMs? I know we're using different batteries than our southern neighbors.

I'm being suggested batteries with 400-450 CCA on websites, but our OEMs use 550 CCA, so I'm definitely not going to use less than OEM CCAs. What is everyone else using?
Sponsored

daPyr0x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
I haven't replaced the battery in my Civic, but if/when I do chances are I'll be purchasing an Optima. In my previous vehicle, I did not treat the battery well (stereo, HIDs, lots of short drives, lights getting left on, etc.). Where the OEM would begin failing, the Optima always came back. Even after running the battery near dead by leaving lights on overnight, it would still start. The Optimas lasted me 3x as long as the OEM.

OP
OP

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I haven't replaced the battery in my Civic, but if/when I do chances are I'll be purchasing an Optima. In my previous vehicle, I did not treat the battery well (stereo, HIDs, lots of short drives, lights getting left on, etc.). Where the OEM would begin failing, the Optima always came back. Even after running the battery near dead by leaving lights on overnight, it would still start. The Optimas lasted me 3x as long as the OEM.
Optima's website gives me Yellowtop D51R with a 450 CCA. Which Optima would you install?

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
The Everstart Maxx from Walmart is a decent battery with a good warranty. Group size 35 is 640 CCA. Most places online think that the Canadian Civics use a 51r but I know mine is a group 35.

Motomaster ultra AGM is an excellent battery made by Exide. It is also 640 CCA. A little pit pricey but well worth it.

M1KL83

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback LX 6MT, 2002 Honda Accord SE 5MT
Country flag
Anyone know what is a good replacement battery for our OEMs? I know we're using different batteries than our southern neighbors.

I'm being suggested batteries with 400-450 CCA on websites, but our OEMs use 550 CCA, so I'm definitely not going to use less than OEM CCAs. What is everyone else using?
Did you have any luck picking a battery?
I'm having the same issue of Canadian websites listing d51r battery size for my 2018 Hatchback but all signs point to us having Group 35 size batteries, not d51r.

OP
OP

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I'm having the same issue of Canadian websites listing d51r battery size for my 2018 Hatchback but all signs point to us having Group 35 size batteries, not d51r.
You can get one from Costco. They have a Group 35 Kirkland battery.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I was interested in the difference, so I did some research...
Sharing will group.

COMPARISON D51R vs Group 35

Honda Civic 10th gen Canadian Battery Replacement? OPTIMA_YT_D51R_Right

d51r battery DEEP CHARGE----- $240
Model: D51R
Weight: 26 lb
C20 Capacity: 38 Ah
Post Type: SAE Post
CCA: 450 Amp (lower)
Width: 5.06 in
Length: 9.31 in
Height: 8.94 in

Key Benefits
  • Deep-cycle and cranking power
  • Up to 3X longer life
  • 15 times more vibration-resistant
  • Virtually spillproof
  • Mountable in virtually any position
  • Maintenance-free
  • Faster recharging
  • Optimal starting power
  • 300+ discharge/recharge cycles
===============================

Honda Civic 10th gen Canadian Battery Replacement? cf8cd6d4-5db3-4a84-a936-43dc5f049b92_1.7ea12febf1fcccf0fe52ed90ce350735

Walmart Group 35 Battery $ 75

Cold Crank Amp 525 (Higher)
C20 Capacity: 38 Ah <<< Guess from typical Group 35 Battery - sames as D51R)
(L x W x H) 9.75 x 6.88 x 8.88 Inches

======================================

Cost of owership about the same ?

D51R is x3 the price, but claims x3 the life
D51R is a DEEP CYCLE battery, so should do better if heavily discharged.

If nothing else, the Optima D51R wins on "Cool Looks"

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe 6MT
I need the part numbers to convert my "American Civic" from D51R to Group35.
I've searched everywhere. Not sure if I just take out the old battery box and
shove the bigger battery in. Not sure if the D51r tie down will work on the 35.

M1KL83

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback LX 6MT, 2002 Honda Accord SE 5MT
Country flag
can anyone confirm that toronto civic battery is group 35 not D51R?
thanks
I'm also in an Ontario Civic (hatchback LX) and I was almost convinced that I have a group 35 until I looked under the hood and see written on top of my factory battery - 450 cranking amps. I can't find it documented anywhere in my owners manual exactly what battery I have.

What does your battery say on top?
I will snap a photo and post so we can compare.

Thanks

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Battery size is not the same as cca. In order to figure out the battery size, you should measure it.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Battery size is not the same as cca. In order to figure out the battery size, you should measure it.
There are 3 major battery parameters that are important.
CGA
Capacity
Deep Cycle

CGA is the amount of current that the battery, when charged, can supply at a given temperature while maintaining a given voltage.
Capacity is the amount of time the battery can last, on a given load (given current)
Deep Charge is if the Battery will survive repeated full discharges, without major deterioration.

It's possible to have a battery with a High CGA, but a low capacity.
It can provide the current (when fully charged) to start the car, but not for very long.
Example: Small Lithium emergency starting devices.

Then again, you can have a physically BIG battery, with lots of Capacity (last a long time), but can only provide a limited current when put on load.

With that being said, getting a PHYSICALLY bigger battery does not necessarily give you higher CGA - that depends more on the construction of the battery, but a Physically BIGGER e battery will typically give you more CAPACITY, so will allow you to listen to the radio with the engine NOT running for longer.

The question is, why do the Canadians get a Physically BIGGER battery, with approximately the same CGA as the smaller American battery ?
Either they need the Capacity because it takes longer to start the car in their colder climate .. or .. They need listen to the Radio a lot more with the engine not running. ?

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Again, none of that has anything to do with the physical size of the battery. If you are looking for the actual size, measure it and compare it to the chart:

https://www.jegs.com/Sizecharts/bcigroup.html

You can have different battery capacities within the same group.

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe 6MT
This isn't a fantastic photo, but I thought it might help some people.
Honda Civic 10th gen Canadian Battery Replacement? fQo69NDh

The battery on top is the Group 34 and the battery on bottom is the 51r.
I believe, in most cases, the bigger battery will have a higher reserve capacity and better deep cycling abilities.
Think of a cellphone and it's MAh rating. Higher means longer battery life.
A cell phone with a 10000 MAh will last much longer than one with only 200 MAh.
(I'm exaggerating. I've yet to encounter a phone with a 10000 MAh battery).
Also, most bigger batteries will have a higher Cold Cranking Amp.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm also in an Ontario Civic (hatchback LX) and I was almost convinced that I have a group 35 until I looked under the hood and see written on top of my factory battery - 450 cranking amps. I can't find it documented anywhere in my owners manual exactly what battery I have.

What does your battery say on top?
I will snap a photo and post so we can compare.

Thanks
If you have 450 CCA, it is not a group 35. My factory battery in the Canadian Touring is 550 CCA.

Measure the width.
Group 51r Approx 5 inches wide
Group 35 Approx 6.75 inches wide
Sponsored