Opinions for a new head unit.

nags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
I wouldn't recommend any of those " Made in China " radios. They're cheap for a reason. Every client I've ever installed one for eventually regretted it. I'd suggest a Pioneer NEX model or a Kenwood DNX, DMX, or DDX headunit.

Some examples:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/MVH-2300NEX

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navigation_multimedia/dmx7705s/
I've been looking all over for a clear answer and can't find one. Do you know if a Pioneer NEX4200 will work seamlessly with a 2018/2019 Civic without loosing any functionality? I have a brand new 4200 in my truck that I'm about to sell and want to know if I should pull it for the Civic I'm about to buy .
Sponsored

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I have two of them (don't ask) sitting on a shelf. I'd love to put one back in my 2018 Civic Hatchback, but to my knowledge there is no integration with the built-in camera, and no integration with climate controls or other settings screens. The iDatalink Maestro or whatever modules do not exist for this car, and I cannot get an answer from them about it no matter how many times I have emailed them. So no, throwing it into an EX trim level would be a huge step backwards. Maybe for an LX not so much, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of integration.

nags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
I have two of them (don't ask) sitting on a shelf. I'd love to put one back in my 2018 Civic Hatchback, but to my knowledge there is no integration with the built-in camera, and no integration with climate controls or other settings screens. The iDatalink Maestro or whatever modules do not exist for this car, and I cannot get an answer from them about it no matter how many times I have emailed them. So no, throwing it into an EX trim level would be a huge step backwards. Maybe for an LX not so much, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of integration.
I actually JUST got off the phone with Idatalink. 2018+ is still not supported by them but in the works. Sounds like I'm kinda screwed.

Reactions: mjh

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Since it is actually 2016+ they are a bit behind (i.e. it is the same tech for 2016+, not just 2018). Funny how the Chinese products reverse engineered it to work seemingly perfectly and a company who pretty much focuses on just that one part can't get it working for several years. Oh well. I kinda gave up myself.

nags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Since it is actually 2016+ they are a bit behind (i.e. it is the same tech for 2016+, not just 2018). Funny how the Chinese products reverse engineered it to work seemingly perfectly and a company who pretty much focuses on just that one part can't get it working for several years. Oh well. I kinda gave up myself.
Then actually said they have 2017 already but not 18+

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The same Chinese radio works in 2016+ Civic, so if they have 2017 working it should work in 2018. I think the Honda headunits themselves are interchangeable across those models as well. Seems like someone has bad information, but what do I know. The website doesn't show 2016, 2017 or 2018 for Civic.

nags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
The same Chinese radio works in 2016+ Civic, so if they have 2017 working it should work in 2018. I think the Honda headunits themselves are interchangeable across those models as well. Seems like someone has bad information, but what do I know. The website doesn't show 2016, 2017 or 2018 for Civic.
Yeah... I thought it was strange but don't know these cars well enough to have questioned him on it too much.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Can an 2019 display be put in a 2016 to get the rotary knob and updates?

Timmeh8604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For everyone wondering about the climate control integration for the more premium trims, now that the 2019 has the fan speed buttons on the climate control themselves and deletes the climate button, the Pheonix head units should have no problems working while being able to have full control over everything climate related. It hasn't been tested yet but I don't see why the new climate control wont work in a 16-18 model.

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can an 2019 display be put in a 2016 to get the rotary knob and updates?
For everyone wondering about the climate control integration for the more premium trims, now that the 2019 has the fan speed buttons on the climate control themselves and deletes the climate button, the Pheonix head units should have no problems working while being able to have full control over everything climate related. It hasn't been tested yet but I don't see why the new climate control wont work in a 16-18 model.
We tried this, the head unit fits but the antitheft kicks in after 3 minutes... Also, the climate controls have different plugs for the 16-18 vs 19+

So answer is no, it won't work...
Sponsored