Finally Test Drove a Type R - Comparisons

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
Fail. Clearly.

2018 Car and Driver’s Editor’s Choice Award
With an “amazing mix of performance and poise,” Car and Driver has named the 2018 Civic Type R an Editor’s Choice award recipient in the compact hatchback category, indicating that it is a vehicle they recommend to friends and family.

The new Honda Civic Type R won our Sport Compact Car of the Year trophy during the 2018 Auto123.com Awards ceremony, held this past November 22nd in Toronto. It beat out the two other finalists in the category, namely the Subaru WRX/WRX STI and Volvo S60/V60 Polestar.
Read more at https://www.auto123.com/en/news/honda-civic-type-r-2018-auto123-award/64258/#Zkmv7HT5vzlH6Bvv.99

US News and World Report
In our rankings of compact cars, the 2018 Honda Civic holds one of the top spots. It's available in sedan, coupe, and hatchback models. Sporty variants include the Civic Si sedan and coupe, plus the high-performance Type R.

Carsoup
There isn’t a sport compact fan that doesn’t already know about the new Honda Civic Type R’s many achievements

Motortrend
Now that the economy is well and truly thriving, some automakers are once again offering a revival of choices of blisteringly quick sport compacts. Sure, Mitsubishi may have traded building Evos for SUVs, but my first-blush Subaru still stands—the track-ready 2018 Subaru WRX STI Type RA is arguably the baddest WRX ever to hit our shores. Others are back in the game, too. Continuing its hot hatch history (offered for the first time in America), the big-winged Honda Civic Type R generates an outrageous 306 hp from just 2.0 liters of turbocharged fury.

Consumer Guide
2018 Honda Civic Type R Touring

Class: Compact Car

Friendly Honda Poughkeepsie NY
Category: Review
Tags: 2018 Civic Type R, compact, hatchback, review

Kelly Blue Book
Driving Impressions
All too often, "hot-rod" versions of good compact cars wind up compromising the things we liked about the compact in the first place.

Ed Napleton Honda
This compact sedan is taking driving to a whole new level.
I'm sorry the IIHS chart disagrees with your sources?
Sponsored

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
Thanks for clarifying, I'm glad I didn't pay $10,000 more for a compact car with a widebody kit.
You just learned a Civic with a compact car wow I'm glad I can educate you on something.

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
I'm sorry the IIHS chart disagrees with your sources?
I'm sorry you seek out the only source on the matter that disagrees with the facts? For the record... The United States government defined size classes in Federal Regulation, Title 40—Protection of Environment, Section 600.315-08 Classes of comparable automobiles. And with the CTR @ "Large Car" they don't agree with either of us, so instead of going with the bumbling joke called the EPA, I am sticking with the compact consensus.

https://jalopnik.com/everything-thats-ridiculous-about-the-epas-vehicle-clas-1660382740

Honda Civic 10th gen Finally Test Drove a Type R - Comparisons upload_2018-11-27_21-25-52

Last edited:

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
I'm sorry you seek out the only source on the matter that disagrees with the facts?
That is not what I did. The IIHS is the first source I sought out, being an authority on the technical classification of cars. I avoided marketing because frequently terms get conflated.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Gentleman, gentleman, it doesn't really matter. We can all agree the CTR is a great car, and the Civic Si is also great car. Is it worth $10k more than the Si? Probably. For me it is at a price point I'm not willing to pay, for others it may be the right choice. If the Si is not fast enough or sporty enough, by all means if you feel this car will fill that need the Si can't, go for it. Now let's all go back to being friends. Littlewhiteone, let's get those body kits!

Last edited:

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
How about the Accord 2.0 Turbo, isn’t it the same engine and turbo as the type R?

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How about the Accord 2.0 Turbo, isn’t it the same engine and turbo as the type R?
Same engine, trans, different tuning and I think a smaller turbo. It's tuned for 87 octane while the CTR is tuned for 91

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
R Obviously better performing car all around with a outrageous wing(nice!!), which frankly makes the car stand out as it does...suits it nicely. Much respect to that car and it’s loyal owners.
I am although completely satisfied with the Si coupe, but the armrests are garbage obviously, which will be replaced with oem leather in the spring after storage. Don’t care much about hp counts, but more interested in how a car handles and looks. Yup, its a goldilocks car for me; looks amazing(also LED headlights and Turbo badging on cdn model standard), 2door coupe, sublime gas mileage, handles, lowest Civic, manual, nice interior(sans armrest), fast enough for shit cdn roads, reliability(fingers crossed), Japanese company and....red:)etc...
I’d like to think my next car would be the R, but I could not spend that much on 4 doors fwd sports car. Don’t care for awd either. I’m a coupe man without any desire or use for storage space in a sports car, and hopefully in the next few years, we’ll be adding the new Toyota Supra 4cylinder (red) alongside this amazing Si

Last edited:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
The Type R competes with cars like the Ford Focus RS and the VW GTI R, cars the Si can't even come close to matching, that is in stock form.
Not entirely true. The Si out handles the way more expensive Golf R stock for stock with the Si pulling .97 and the Golf R .95 on a skidpad according to car and driver.

Honda Civic 10th gen Finally Test Drove a Type R - Comparisons Screenshot_2018-11-28-02-36-35

ycehcky

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Type R is closer to $15k difference with dealer discounts on Si and Dealer mark ups on R. Obviously, the msrp is right at $10k difference. Cost of ownership is going to be more, but depreciation on the Si will cost you more - we will call it a wash. Spending over $5k in mods on an Si to perform like an R seems silly, but still much cheaper than buying an R. You can have just as much fun in either car, but my guess is the Type R creates a little bigger grin. I'm not sure if the Type R would have been the car of choice if I was looking to spend $35k, but I didn't think I was going to buy an Si when I was looking this time.

My guess - Si will be worth around $5k in 10 years and the Type R will probably be worth $25k in 10 years. Maybe I am totally off on my estimate, but look at EVOs. It really is apples and oranges comparing the 2. Enjoy the car you have, and test drive as many cars as you can. Buy the ones you like the most.

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Same engine, trans, different tuning and I think a smaller turbo. It's tuned for 87 octane while the CTR is tuned for 91
This is simply not true regarding the engine. Initial reports, like the Car and Driver article from Oct 2017 titled " a tale of two 2 liters", indicated they were similar:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...our-in-hondas-new-accord-and-the-civic-type-r

However, it later came out that the engine designs and related systems were different even though they have similar architecture: https://jalopnik.com/heres-exactly-what-makes-the-2018-honda-accord-and-civi-1820164645

Key differences are below (with the most obvious being the fuel system and turbocharger which will limit power potential):
Pistons
Connecting Rods
Cams
Intake Valves
Intake Manifolds
Oil Pumps
Fuel system
Turbo charger and related items
Other little things here and there

I also think I read somewhere the head design is slightly different (more tumbling effect for the R I think?) but I could be mistaken

Also Accord 2.0 sport doesn't get an LSD, so drive train is different as well.
Sponsored

Last edited: