Vehicle(s)
2008 HD Fat Bob, 2018 Civic Touring Sedan
THIS is why I ask!! From the Owner's Manual:

Recommended Engine Oil
• Genuine Honda Motor Oil
• Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API Certification Seal on the
container.
■ Synthetic oil
You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal
and is the specified viscosity grade.​

So, Why not use conventional oil if I drive the car gently and plan to follow scheduled maintenance?
Sponsored

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
Maybe because turbos are hard on oil and engine even if driven gently and anyways, most wear in any engine occurs on cold starts.
An useful link was provided a few posts up.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
most oils on the shelf at walmart that call themselves "full synthetic" are, in reality, not true synthetic at all. They're plain old oil from the ground. Just more highly refined. Last time I checked the only one which is a true group IV PAO synthetic is M1 extended performance 0w20.

smuratx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan RS 1.5 T 182 hp
Country flag
OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
IIRC, 0W-20 is only available as a synthetic blend or above. As long as it carries the API seal you're good. :thumbsup:

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
So is Castrol Edge 0W20 "Advanced Full Synthetic" just dino oil refined and marketed as Synthetic? This is on sale at a great price and I'd like to pick up a jug.

I just pick up whichever 5L jug is on a 50% sale when I see it, for the next change. So happens to be Castrol Edge this time. Last time it was QS UD

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As long as you're not pulling your oil out of the waste bin at your local parts store, any oil on the shelf is going to do it's job in your engine*.

*providing it's the correct oil

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
So is Castrol Edge 0W20 "Advanced Full Synthetic" just dino oil refined and marketed as Synthetic? This is on sale at a great price and I'd like to pick up a jug.

I just pick up whichever 5L jug is on a 50% sale when I see it, for the next change. So happens to be Castrol Edge this time. Last time it was QS UD
yes, it's just dino oil. not true synthetic. but as someone else just posted, it will work just fine in your engine.

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
The synthetic oil zealots are relentless. Refined type synthetics are just fine. As to whether or not they are true "synthetic" oil or not, the court decided that argument a long time ago.

Last edited:

powerwing

First Name
Jacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
To clarify , they're a group III base oil. See chart below.

group base oil.JPG
From what I know PAO is also refined dyno oil. It's refined beyond hydrocracked oil to be considered a fully synthetic, which is why it is in a category lower than a group 5 synthetic. Group 5's will normally use esthers as basestocks and are fully synthetic.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
the court decided O.J. was innocent. Synthetic means synthetic. Not mineral oil. The court was wrong, as usual.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the court decided O.J. was innocent. Synthetic means synthetic. Not mineral oil. The court was wrong, as usual.
I got a pretty good chuckle out of that one, thanks lol

The main problem is people will call anything something other than what it is to make more money on it. "Organic" produce is a perfect example of this. In order to qualify for "organic" you just have to not use a pesticide that's on a list of non-organic pesticides. Doesn't mean you don't use pesticides, you just don't use the ones on that list. Same with "free-range eggs". In order to put "free range" on your box, your chickens need to be outside a minimum of 6 hours a day. The other 18 hours they are crammed in a 2ft² box.

It's the exact same way with oils. People will call their oil "synthetic" and charge more money for it because they can, even if it's only 7.3% synthetic blend. They just leave off the "7.3%" and "blend" part of it.