What is a German type r safety car?

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Here is a model of one. Is it a real car and what's its purpose?
Honda Civic 10th gen What is a German type r safety car? 20181121_133926
Sponsored

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
What's the purpose of a safety car or why'd they choose a CTR? I assume you know the purpose of a safety car so why they chose a CTR is anyones guess. Honda might be a large sponsor for that track, Honda gave them the car to use for PR reasons, track manager likes the car, etc?

Could be just about anything...

edit: googled it out of curiosity and can't find anything on it. Doubt they just made a random 1:64 scaler model but maybe it was never a real car either

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What's the purpose of a safety car or why'd they choose a CTR? I assume you know the purpose of a safety car so why they chose a CTR is anyones guess. Honda might be a large sponsor for that track, Honda gave them the car to use for PR reasons, track manager likes the car, etc?

Could be just about anything...

edit: googled it out of curiosity and can't find anything on it. Doubt they just made a random 1:64 scaler model but maybe it was never a real car either
well lots of questions here for me. One what is a safety car ? I know here in US we have these cars for tracks and what not but in other countries not everything is called the police. Could this be a public safety car? So I was confused as if it was a track safety car why would it have a special scale model made of a one off car. And two, why would it be called a GERMAN SAFETY CAR? and not a track car or pace car or official safety car of what ever track? German safety car just sounds strange. My other interest is as too if this car has anything special spec wise. Don't know I guess im confused as to why a one off track car would have had a scale model made just for it. I was figuring this was something else.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
In the USA, a Type R Safety Car is used for F3 and F4 Americas series. The American F3 and F4 both use Honda engines. The model in question looks like it is for the TCR Germany series.

A 'safety car' is pretty much the equivalent of a 'pace car' in the USA.

Often a manufacturer/distributor/dealer will supply a safety car. F1 used to use exclusively Mercedes, for example. Locally, we use Hondas ... this year it was a Civic Si HPD, last year an Si, and year before that a Civic Coupe. (I've been in the local safety car since it was a DC2 ITR.) However, when the Micra Cup runs, we use a Nissan ... Ford also supplies a GT500 for other series (which was super-cool to drive, BTW), GM provides Corvettes for some events, etc.

Last edited:

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Best guess, by those yellow lights, sponsor decals and some sort of racing black and white flag windshield decal it is 100% for racing. Safety cars are meant to do many things but the main one being gather up the field of cars incase of an incident where they need to slow the field of cars. This safety car sets a pace they determined to be safe and the safety car typically needs to be a fast car. Ever watch F1 they have a fancy mercedes with a pro driver going 10/10ths that looks fast as **** but when you see the f1 driver view it looks like they're in a school zone. Point being the race cars it's keeping pace for are so much faster if they used something slower like a base civic the race cars would have an even harder time keeping their tire and brake temps where they want them.

I'd guess it's for a german track and a racing series Honda wanted to advertise for like German Toruing car series but who knows

Last edited:

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
its a safety car dude. That’s what they call it around the world

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In the USA, a Type R Safety Car is used for F3 and F4 Americas series. The American F3 and F4 both use Honda engines. The model in question looks like it is for the TCR Germany series.

A 'safety car' is pretty much the equivalent of a 'pace car' in the USA.

Often a manufacturer/distributor/dealer will supply a safety car. F1 used to use exclusively Mercedes, for example. Locally, we use Hondas ... this year it was a Civic Si HPD, last year an Si, and year before that a Civic Coupe. (I've been in the local safety car since it was a DC2 ITR.) However, when the Micra Cup runs, we use a Nissan ... Ford also supplies a GT500 for other series (which was super-cool to drive, BTW), GM provides Corvettes for some events, etc.
Awesome thank you. I'm not up on racing so I was not sure. Thanks again for explination.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
its a safety car dude. That’s what they call it around the world
I think I was not as clear as I wanted to be. In some parts of the world they have public safety officers that are like police. I've seen cars that say public safety and so on that are not associated with racing. Even here in USA some insurance agencies have Safety cars that respond to wrecks. So my question was in Germany what was a German safety car. That's what it's called a "german safety car" that seemed odd to me. So I was curious which industry it belonged to as I am not a world traveler.

moonman

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R GT (FK8, 2018)
Country flag
In Germany, there‘s a Touring Car series which is called „TCR Germany“. Over here it sounds cool if you use english terms ;-) So, instead of calling it „TCR Deutschland“ they call it TCR Germany.

It‘s not a german safety car but the „TCR Germany Safety Car“. Most probably Honda sponsored that race or several races, so that they provided the safety car.

Honda Civic 10th gen What is a German type r safety car? tcr-deutschland-nurburgring-2017-safetycar-auf-der-strecke

https://ch.motorsport.com/tcr-deutschland/