Civic Si Vs Civic Hatchback Vs Civic Coupe

Barbosa

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Hey everyone! I've been lurking around the forums for a while now but this is my first post. I'm getting ready to finally join the Honda/Civic family for the first time(woooo)!

Currently I am driving a 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0t but it has been giving me some issues and now above 110k miles, I'm ready for a change. I've been having a really hard time deciding between the Si(coupe or sedan), the Civic Hatchback ex, and the Civic coupe ex-t.

As far as looks, I personally love how the coupes look with the swooping taillights and all but I worry that it may not be the most best in the future as I get older(currently 24). The Si's are absolutely amazing and I love how they come in manual. It really adds another element to my drive, but I can understand that it might get bothersome in traffic...especially because I plan to keep this car for 7-10 years at least. The hatchback is great for the added space and it really doesn't look all that bad as well as having great MPG.

I plan on doing some basic bolt-on mods to either model once my warranty expires and eventually would like to boost the power of the car for some fun! I'm hoping you guys can give me some pros and cons from your experiences owning any of these models to help me narrow down my search and get into one of these models very soon!

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
I looked at the same 3 as well.. I ditched the coupe because it was the least practical for me and my family.

Between the Hatch and the Si I chose the Si. I wanted the LSD. I liked the idea of the adjustable dampers. I like the sport seats. I wanted the sunroof and none of these came on the hatch at the same price point.

I drive 60 miles round trip to work. Morning commutes are fine. Lots of traffic in the PM commute, but I've been driving stick for (gulp) nearly 30 years.. so its not a big deal to me.

Things I don't like on the Si? No radio volume/tuning nobs. I don't hate the current system, but I prefer simple knobs so I can keep my eyes on the road. Similar issue with the HVAC.. I still find myself hunting for settings vs just 2-3 knobs/dials that could do the same thing. No standard spare tire. I know there is a kit.

What I love? The ride. The seats. The dual nature of its engine to be sporty or miserly. I get on average 38-40mpg per tank.

ericwudi0830

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I would go with the hatchback. I think it is more practical especially for the long-run and it looks pretty similar to the coupe. More head space for rear passengers. Seems like hatchback vehicles are becoming more popular nowadays. But if you don't intend to keep that same car for a long time, I guess that would be a pickle....

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In all honesty, I had the same issue. I love the Hatchback Sport. However, I ruled them out quickly because I knew I wanted an Si. So then it became Sedan vs Coupe.

For context; I'm 32, married and have one child who's under 10. We have a 4 door luxury sedan that my wife currently drives that we take as the "Family Vehicle". So I was free to choose whichever one I liked for my daily.

With that in mind, I really really loved the lines of the Coupe more than the Sedan. It just looked more aggressive. Also, I felt the Si Coupes in my area were rare. Even now, I've only seen 3 or so while running into many Si Sedans. My thoughts were that this may help with resale value years down the road if I choose to sell. Also, I'd stand out more to other Honda Enthusiasts. I ended up getting a good deal on a brand new, 7 miles on the ODO White Orchid Pearl Si Coupe.

I've had the car about 3.5 months now and I don't regret a thing about going with the Coupe. Sure there's more aftermarket stuff for the Sedan, but man do heads turn when I drive by.

PWP19SI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic LX 16 HRV EX
Country flag
It’s true, it just depends on multiple personal variables when choosing which Civic is the best to suit your needs.

I’m 34 years old, married with a 2 year old and We plan on having more kids down the line. We currently have an 08 Civic coupe that I commute with about 70 miles daily M-F. My wife drives a 16 HRV EX those days, but on the weekend she commutes to work about 20 miles using the Civic.

I wanted the wife to have the safety and reliability of the HRV during her weekend commute, especially since we live in PA and the winters can be harsh. I also wanted something that I could easily get my kiddo in and out of without dealing with the challenges that a coupe could present. I honestly can’t imagine having a 2nd child and dealing with that headache :confused1:. With that being said the coupe was out.

The hatch is sweet, but I wanted the 6 speed and the amenities that came with a higher end Civic. My dad has a sport and I love the exterior, but the interior is dull. Since I was not willing to spend the money on the R, the SI sedan was the most practical choice for me.

I should be taking delivery on it sometime in the next couple of weeks and I’m stoked :headbang: I’ve owned different Hondas my entire life, but haven’t had one I loved since my b18c1 swapped 99 coupe. I feel like this SI will finally make me whole again :love:

Get what’s going to make you happy and fit your lifestyle and you’ll have no regrets :thumbsup:

skshrews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2005 TSX, Honda Civic Hatchback LX 6MT 2017
Country flag
I own the hatchback but if I was 24 yo I'd go with the Si Sedan. 6MT, heated seats, mirrors, the full infotainment system,more horsepower,LSD.
One point in favor of the sedan is that the trunk is surprisingly large and wide.
At 24 yo feed your impractical side a little and go with the Si.

OP
OP
Barbosa

Barbosa

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
I want to thank everyone so far for giving me their personal opinions! I'm pretty steady on going with the Si now since I've done some research and seen that the resale value of the Si is soooo much better than the other models. I also do want a little more power and the 6MT is going to be so much fun. My father has had a couple porches and he always gets the MT which I get to take for a spin whenever he comes and visits.

The only difficulty now is going to be deciding on a coupe or sedan and whether I should get a preowned 2018 or a new 2019 model.... are the added volume and climate buttons really worth the extra 3-4k I would have to spend?

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
I would think there are some 2018 leftovers on dealer lots that may be a better choice than used or paying more for the 2019..

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I want to thank everyone so far for giving me their personal opinions! I'm pretty steady on going with the Si now since I've done some research and seen that the resale value of the Si is soooo much better than the other models. I also do want a little more power and the 6MT is going to be so much fun. My father has had a couple porches and he always gets the MT which I get to take for a spin whenever he comes and visits.

The only difficulty now is going to be deciding on a coupe or sedan and whether I should get a preowned 2018 or a new 2019 model.... are the added volume and climate buttons really worth the extra 3-4k I would have to spend?
The 2018's will be going on clearance and you'll be able to get BRAND new 2018's below MSRP. The volume button thing doesn't bug me that much, but for 3-4K more, it doesn't bother me at all now. :dunno:

PWP19SI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic LX 16 HRV EX
Country flag
I’m sure it’s different everywhere, but I got my 19 below MSRP. I was on the fence too, but this civic is pretty close to the most perfect SI that Honda has every built and even though the 19 has subtle updates to the 17-18 design, I’m in favor.

themaincop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan (SOLD), 2021 GTI Autobahn
Country flag
If you like driving then the Si for sure. It's a lot of fun in its stock form and you can do what I'm told is a really good stage 1 tune without doing any part swaps, and even more overhead if you're willing to swap the clutch. If Honda releases an Si hatch I'll be snapping that up in a hurry but otherwise no regrets going with the Si over the hatch. If I could do one thing differently it would be to get red instead of white.

PWP19SI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic LX 16 HRV EX
Country flag
If you like driving then the Si for sure. It's a lot of fun in its stock form and you can do what I'm told is a really good stage 1 tune without doing any part swaps, and even more overhead if you're willing to swap the clutch. If Honda releases an Si hatch I'll be snapping that up in a hurry but otherwise no regrets going with the Si over the hatch. If I could do one thing differently it would be to get red instead of white.
I’ll be disappointed if they release the hatchback with a SI model, because that would be :love::love::love:

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went to the dealer and asked about the hatch sport in manual. They did not have a manual the only 3 were the 2 Si coupes and the Si sedan i took. I really like the hatch, but the Si sedan won me over anyway. I really like the hatch its bad ass looking, but happy i got the Si because it does have more features like Start/Stop button and key less entry. Not to mention those front seats they are so nice.
At the end the Si to me should stand alone in between the R and hatch sport models having more power then the hatch and less then the R.

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
If you're an enthusiast that wants cargo capacity and power, I'd go with the Si Sedan. The Hatchback Sport will give the oomph for the price, but you won't have all of the tech like the Si has (Heated seats, Android Auto/Apple Carplay/Moonroof). If you're looking for a vehicle with long term viability, I'd definitely would skip the coupe.

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
This thread has probably covered it all, but I looked at Si vs Sport Hatch, and ultimately went EX hatch. Si, is well an Si, you get what you want from it but your options are coupe or sedan. My friend who has an Si coupe has confirmed after a year that while it's fun, it's not large, nor a long term "practical" car and wishes he went sedan. The Hatch on the other hand is the most practical car, it has the most room, and you can tune it to get close to the 200hp of the si, but it will never be an si. However, the reason i didn't go sport, even though it had paddle shifters, is that it has like no features. The non-apple car play radio is AWFUL. So basically it comes down to, do you want manual, or is auto an option. If auto is an option do you need the gears. IMO sport touring is probably the best overall model since it's in a hatch and can have paddles but that was out of my price range, and is way more than an Si.
Sponsored