Civic 1.5T CVT failures with flashpro tune? Has there been any?

Alex2893

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Polished Metal
Country flag
I have been wanting to get this 6+ psi flashpro tune for a while now and my worry is of course the cvt. I have read all the torture testing on the cvt with no issues. But im looking at long term torture. Its been a while now since the tune has been out and I am curious to know if there has been any cvt failures with the flashpro tune and the 1.5T cvt since it came out ?

I am sure this question gets asked all the time but i just want some reassurance before i basically void my warranty which is the big concern. if all goes well and i get the tune and make it another 23k miles and nothing bad happens then great but me being me and my luck ill shred the cvt belt on the first pull. Now the smart thing would be to wait on the tune until my warranty is over but whats the fun in that besides i have only put 12k miles on the car in almost 2 years so it will be awhile till i hit 35k. i dont mind taking risks but if i take a risk i want to be 100% sure of my decision so i cant say i did not research it enough if something goes wrong and ill just own the consequences.
Sponsored

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine's been tuned for probably 2 years and 50k km, I bent a connecting rod and had to replace an engine, but so far the cvt has held up, and I am not nice to it. There's a thread about my engine failure if you want more info about it, just click my name and it'll be in my posts somewhere.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If you don't increase the power levels (especially torque) far beyond base level, you should be fine. The CVT has proven to hold up very well with the base tunes from Ktuner and Hondata.

EastBayCivic

First Name
DerekZoolander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hello.

I have been tuned since August with no issues. I'm new, but I don't think you will have much risk as long as you are sticking with the off the shelf tunes that are included with either tuner. Maybe someone else can chime in here, but I don't think anyone has broke their base 1.5t with a Ktuner starter map.

Things are different when more variables are added through things like different mods and custom tunes though! Last night on the 10th gen fb group there was a posting about how he bent a rod with a 21 psi custom tune and some mods. I'm not an expert on how much power over a stock car these mods would have added, but I'm thinking the mods ( Sri, dp) working with the custom tune may have just been too much power. Could also have been the power tuned to come on too aggressively too. The experts know better than me.

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello.

Maybe someone else can chime in here, but I don't think anyone has broke their base 1.5t with a Ktuner starter map.
This is true and I probably should have mentioned it with my previous post. When my engine went I was pushing 27psi with some advanced timing, it did not happen with a starter tune.

OP
OP

Alex2893

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is true and I probably should have mentioned it with my previous post. When my engine went I was pushing 27psi with some advanced timing, it did not happen with a starter tune.
Wow 27psi and the ctv held up? Maybe I am worrying for nothing

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wow 27psi and the ctv held up? Maybe I am worrying for nothing
Use a base tune, don't drive like a complete maniac, don't launch it and the CVT will be fine. These cars tuned will make you shake your head at how "blah" the Honda factory tune is.

OP
OP

Alex2893

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Use a base tune, don't drive like a complete maniac, don't launch it and the CVT will be fine. These cars tuned will make you shake your head at how "blah" the Honda factory tune is.
Ok what I'm getting at hear is these tunes are not just for added power .they help with turbo lag, Throttle response and more power off the line to make an all around more sporty feel. So I am assuming once tuned I should be able to notice it was tuned very quickly?

EastBayCivic

First Name
DerekZoolander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Ok what I'm getting at hear is these tunes are not just for added power .they help with turbo lag, Throttle response and more power off the line to make an all around more sporty feel. So I am assuming once tuned I should be able to notice it was tuned very quickly?
You will think you're driving a different car. That's how cool it is!

OP
OP

Alex2893

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think I'll get the ktuner. For $449 it's not bad deal. All I am going to use is a base map and I see no reason to get the V2

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think I'll get the ktuner. For $449 it's not bad deal. All I am going to use is a base map and I see no reason to get the V2
V1.2 can make your car do the exact same thing as v2 so unless you want the extras than you're right, no reason.

OP
OP

Alex2893

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anyone have any good dealers they recommend for the K Tuner v1.2 ? There is a lot listed and I'm not sure if any stand out over the other .

Thanks

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have any good dealers they recommend for the K Tuner v1.2 ? There is a lot listed and I'm not sure if any stand out over the other .

Thanks
If price is a concern, get one on Ebay when they run one of those 15% off everything deals. Two Step Performance is also a great place to order one from.

OP
OP

Alex2893

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If price is a concern, get one on Ebay when they run one of those 15% off everything deals. Two Step Performance is also a great place to order one from.
thanks. i was looking at other parts and up grades. at first i was excited about the BOV. but then i saw a lot of people on forums saying it messes up the air fuel ratio. it sucks because it looked so easy to install. I want to be able to hear the turbo more. the only time i can really hear it is if i punch it going up hill. its got a nice sound to it even though its stock. Im hoping the tune its self will increase the sound from the turbo. I know an open air intake can make the turbo sound more prevalent but idk if i should add that with a tune. might be to much.
Sponsored