Type R FBO + Custom Tune Dyno Results (376 whp / 387 wtq) & Products Review (PRL, Remus, PTP/USR)

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Awesome post and great results? I'm always curious about MPG. Would you mind sharing how your MPG changed?
If you drive normally / not aggressively/ stay out of boost, it won’t change that much. That being said, when you tune the FK8, which runs relatively lean air to fuel ratios from the factory, you make the ratio much richer (ie adding more fuel to the mix) so you will by definition use more fuel / decrease the fuel economy.

Before the aggressive tune on the car I was probably averaging 20-23mpg with moderate to aggressive city driving, and if I was driving on long highway cruises I could average around 29-30mpg. With the more aggressive tune, it’s still averaging around 20 mpg city and prob 29-30mpg highway, so no huge change. But if you’re driving all out all the time you’re gonna see a decline in fuel efficiency.
Sponsored

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
With so much extra power, do you run into any traction issues going WOT on a rolling start?
Yes, the car on all season tires in fall weather (when tires are still relatively cool) will spin at 40-50mph at WOT lol. It’s kind of crazy.

However, to avoid this issue Derek also set up a “boost by gear” tune which basically sets the max torque level for each gear. This basically allows you to floor the gas in 1st and 2nd and avoid spinning. This makes the car much more user friendly, especially when just driving around town, and equally as important it makes the car quicker (“spinning is not winning”). I also am more thoughtful about when I use +R mode. If it’s wet at all I stay in sport mode (which has more aggressive traction control / will cut power earlier than the +R mode)

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
Op, thanks for the post. Pretty interesting. From what i conclude from your experience, it sounds like bolt ons aren't even necessary or does nothing if you don't have a tuner like ktuner or hondata. Besides bolt ons for cooling stuff. If that's the case, then what's all these vendor's dyno plots showing exhaust, intake, dp gaining more than 10hp

KingsR1213

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Upload the tune and you can charge for it! You can probably get what you paid for it after many downloads.

8yourv8

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Those are some interesting numbers i ran my car on the dyno and made 288whp 271 tq baseline. I then uploaded the Hondata 93 octane tune and the car made 327 whp 377 tq. The only other mod was a K& N drop in filter.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R FBO + Custom Tune Dyno Results (376 whp / 387 wtq) & Products Review (PRL, Remus, PTP/USR) 20180824_125844-1164x873

8yourv8

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Those are some interesting numbers i ran my car on the dyno and made 288whp 271 tq baseline. I then uploaded the Hondata 93 octane tune and the car made 327 whp 377 tq. The only other mod was a K& N drop in filter.

20180824_125844-1164x873.jpg
It seems the tune is way more important than the parts in my opinion.

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
It seems the tune is way more important than the parts in my opinion.
I agree a tuning solution such as Ktuner or Hondata is the first mod anyone should do on these cars, because only after that can you really maximize the power of performance parts

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag

Also it looks like you dyno’d the car at much higher ambient temps...that could certainly effect how the ecu handles things

8yourv8

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Yeah man it was done in Florida on a DynoCom AWD dyno. Yes it was hot

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag

Those are decent number!
I'm think our cars may react better to tunes in stock form...I've seen numbers that are only marginally higher with quite a few bolt ons and tune!

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Those are decent number!
I'm think our cars may react better to tunes in stock form...I've seen numbers that are only marginally higher with quite a few bolt ons and tune!
Just as you said, I think a few bolt ons + off the shelf tune only yields marginally higher numbers (i.e. see my FBO + KTuner Stage 1 DP Tune chart in the original post) vs. just the tune alone.

However, I think a few bolt ons + custom tune yields a massive gain in my experience (we picked nearly 30 whp over the KTuner Stage 1 DP Tune)

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Op, thanks for the post. Pretty interesting. From what i conclude from your experience, it sounds like bolt ons aren't even necessary or does nothing if you don't have a tuner like ktuner or hondata. Besides bolt ons for cooling stuff. If that's the case, then what's all these vendor's dyno plots showing exhaust, intake, dp gaining more than 10hp
100% agree that the first mod should be a tuning solution such as KTuner or Hondata. Then, I would say an intercooler to help keep IAT under control (I agree with your statement that bolt-ons for cooling are important because they have an indirect impact on power by allowing for more consistency in power and removal of heat soak).

Regarding your last point, each of the vendors claims the following HP gains for the parts on their own, and gains when combining parts are usually not cumulative (part A of 5 hp + part B of 5 hp does not equal gain of 10 hp combined).

PRL Stage 1 = +5-8 hp
PRL Catted DP = +6-7hp (since ~10hp less than catless)
Remus Exhaust = +6.9hp

Also each car reacts differently to modifications for a host of reasons.

Most of the intake and exhaust mods people do on the Type R are for the "sake of completeness" so there is no bottleneck left and for sound, I think.

Last edited:

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
Hmm, I was actually thinking of changing to the PRL catted DP from my current catless PRL DP so I can be legal for STU class autocross. If only +6-7hp gain, then I might have to reconsider.
Sponsored