So who’s actually confirmed having gas in their oil in their Civic?

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Im happy with the car but not happy with this issue. You also deserve money as your engine is defective too. ;)

Maybe you'd have success going that route. Why continue to live with a car you're dissatisfied with? I'd say Honda owes you money.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Im happy with the car but not happy with this issue. You also deserve money as your engine is defective too. ;)
I agree. A fix is coming. In Canada, Honda is offering to bump up the warranty to 6 yrs unlimited kms on top of updating the software. That gives a good incentive to keep the car.

Were it not for the fact that it is hard to find a better all around car at this price point, I'd be going to Honda for the money.

What would I choose with the money I get back from them? Elantra? Lol. No way. Mazda 3? No. Corolla? No. Didn't bother with any of those because C&D and Motor Trend and AJAC agree this is an all around finer car than its peers. The closest I would choose is one of the 2.0L CivicX trims.

When the car ditches me in the middle of the highway I travel each week, I will be going to Honda for money and buying a 2.0L CivicX.

I am betting though that this car won't do that, like the 3 other Honda products I owned before. Knock on wood....

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
Honda did the Software update (Band Aid or Cheap Fix) for the 2015 Acura TLX/Pilots and still trannies failed. People were better off with there trannies replaced rather than the software update.

2018/19 models Honda updated the transmission with new internal components including clutch material and actuators

Last edited:

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Honda did the Software update (Band Aid or Cheap Fix) for the 2015 Acura TLX/Pilots and still trannies failed. People were better off with there trannies replaced rather than the software update.

2018/19 models Honda updated the transmission with new internal components including clutch material and actuators
So you think the software update won't be sufficient? It's just a band aid?

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I could see them changing the cold startup cycle among other things. I believe the motor runs rich while the block and cylinder walls are cold. That in itself encourages the fuel to condense and seep past the rings during the first few minutes of operation. Same thing happens in port injection; but because the injectors spray directly on the cylinder walls, a higher percentage of fuel can slip past in DI powertrains.

Leaning out the mixture a bit won't resolve the issue, but should reduce it to manageable levels for those running shorter trips in extremely cold climates. Honda may also reduce performance on some accessories like the AC/heater to allow the engine to warm up faster. They may even accelerate the Maintenance Minder to account for this type of extreme operating condition.

I want to re-emphasize that just because you suspect a higher oil level (which is a very unreliable way to measure dilution), that doesn't mean you have a fuel problem. Users running catch cans are also trapping a high amount of water/condensation from the crankcase, which is nothing new. However... if you smell a strong fuel odor on the dipstick, or when changing out your oil, your best course of action (beyond driving longer distances) is an oil analysis. Everyone will have some dilution, whether port or direct injected. The big question is whether it's leading to an increase in wear metals; and an analysis will tell you just that. It could also be a sign of a much larger issue such as a leaky injector.

Carry on. :cool:

Honda Civic 10th gen So who’s actually confirmed having gas in their oil in their Civic? 2lkrsq

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great point about the catch cans. I never really thought about that contributing to that. The first time I emptied my can it was almost exclusively water. I believe it was around 5000 miles of collection during the winter. During the summer my can has almost nothing in it.
Honda Civic 10th gen So who’s actually confirmed having gas in their oil in their Civic? 20180102_155611

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
You guys are lucky we are getting no updates in europe, Honda won't even acknowledge the problem here let alone do anything about it. Poor show from Honda and lack of respect for loyal customers.

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I could see them changing the cold startup cycle among other things. I believe the motor runs rich while the block and cylinder walls are cold. That in itself encourages the fuel to condense and seep past the rings during the first few minutes of operation. Same thing happens in port injection; but because the injectors spray directly on the cylinder walls, a higher percentage of fuel can slip past in DI powertrains.

Leaning out the mixture a bit won't resolve the issue, but should reduce it to manageable levels for those running shorter trips in extremely cold climates. Honda may also reduce performance on some accessories like the AC/heater to allow the engine to warm up faster. They may even accelerate the Maintenance Minder to account for this type of extreme operating condition.

I want to re-emphasize that just because you suspect a higher oil level (which is a very unreliable way to measure dilution), that doesn't mean you have a fuel problem. Users running catch cans are also trapping a high amount of water/condensation from the crankcase, which is nothing new. However... if you smell a strong fuel odor on the dipstick, or when changing out your oil, your best course of action (beyond driving longer distances) is an oil analysis. Everyone will have some dilution, whether port or direct injected. The big question is whether it's leading to an increase in wear metals; and an analysis will tell you just that. It could also be a sign of a much larger issue such as a leaky injector.

Carry on. :cool:

2lkrsq.jpg
I have owned Honda port injection cars for 15 years prior and never had a problem with gas in the oil as I do the oil changes myself. This is my first direct injection, that is having this issue. In my experience and opinion, it is only prevalent in DI engines for me personally.

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
So the software route is basically a permanent bandaid
Money saver for Honda and quietly update the internals on the next year model to save millions. Unless someone dies from the car stalling but hope that doesn't happen for Honda to take it more seriously.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There won't be a "quiet update on the internals"... You can't fix this. You can do things to lower it at the cost of efficiency, but this is a byproduct of DI. If you would all take a few moments to understand how an engine works and what's happening here. ALL turbocharged direct injection engines have fuel dilution.

Subaru FA20 found in the WRX Turbocharged Direct Injected with fuel in oil.
Honda Civic 10th gen So who’s actually confirmed having gas in their oil in their Civic? DVtcNdt

Ford 2.7 Ecoboost Turbocharge Direct Injection found in the F150 with fuel in oil.
Honda Civic 10th gen So who’s actually confirmed having gas in their oil in their Civic? full-78708-15589-2016nov2017

Last edited:

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This marks the 900th article by AdvitisersReports on this. They have the credibility of FOX and CNN to me these days. Any content they can put out to generate ad revenue.

If CRVs are going into limp mode then there is an issue. The problem with this sort of thing is we don't know the variables. It's obviously not every L15B7 dealing with this or this forum would be crawling with people claiming going into limp mode. As it stands, we've got the majority freaking out over their oil smelling like fuel, a hand full of people saying their car has insane rising oil levels, and zero people with an actual problem.
Sponsored