amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
So, where do I start? I know that this has been a pretty hotly debated issue, and I don't want to beat this to death, but I have some bad news. I really personally felt that switching to 0W30 fully synthetic over the 0W20 factory fill was the way to go. I have seen a ton of back and forth, so I decided to contact Mobile, the makers of Mobile 1 on their professional advice, and here is their answer:

"Thanks for writing in. Honda does not allow for a 0W-30 oil in that engine. I'd hate to see you have any trouble with your warranty. My recommendation is to drain the 30 weight oil and go back to the 0W-20. Honda did their testing of that engine with a 20 weight oil in mind. As to whether a 30 would cause damage, that would be a question for Honda. It is possible. Please contact us with any additional questions."

I then contacted Honda, and basically they told me the same thing...they only allow 0W20, this is what they designed and tested for, and told me I needed to drain and refill with the approved oil, my warranty would be voided if any damage occured. I have asked them to send me this in writing.

I know AMSOIL oil has this blog about how this is BS and it's all about CAFE standards etc. and 0W30 won't damage engines "designed" for 0W20, but the fact is I really don't want to take that chance and give Honda an excuse to void my engine warranty should something go wrong. Anyway, I thought I would put this information out there for anyone to make an informed decision one way or the other. Since I am no expert in this matter, I have decided to default on the side of caution
Sponsored

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Groundbreaking news for sure. I'm taking the rest of the day off and dumping that ridiculous 5w30 IMMEDIATELY! Does anyone has connections with local news? Public deserves to know the truth!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up EL CAPITAN

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Groundbreaking news for sure. I'm taking the rest of the day off and dumping that ridiculous 5w30 IMMEDIATELY! Does anyone has connections with local news? Public deserves to know the truth!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up EL CAPITAN
Wow, I can see you have been taught manners. Bravo! Genius, is there anywhere in this post that says for anyone to drop 0W30? I guess they really need to beef up the Texas education system

ParkwayDrive13

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Ralley Red SI
Country flag
Good info. At least, we know where Honda stands on this issue.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Wow, I can see you have been taught manners. Bravo! Genius, is there anywhere in this post that says for anyone to drop 0W30? I guess they really need to beef up the Texas education system
Alright alright good Sir, don't get upset. Sarcasm it is. But I probably was an asshole with this comment. Even though I'm not a texan but I still love beef.

Anyhow, this subject has really been beaten to death. And everyone is very well aware that using something other than what's in the manual may lead to "warranty issues". Including myself. But, obviously, this is not show stopper, there are multiple ways around - you choose your's. I've made my choice and not looking back (based on the actual data and facts). If you'd like more details - let me know, I'd happy to share the knowledge and experience.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
That's funny, I remember coming across this before. I found the picture again - manual says to use 5W-30 or 0W-30 if 0W-20 is not available. Granted this was the European model. Here's the post about it here.

Honda Civic 10th gen Using 0W30 Oil in the 2017-2018 Civic Si? Bad news image1-

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
That's funny, I remember coming across this before. I found the picture again - manual says to use 5W-30 or 0W-30 if 0W-20 is not available. Granted this was the European model.

image1-png.png
That’s for european market

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Im running 5w-30 I dont care what Honda says about my warranty(Its almost gone anyway). Let em prove you ran 5w-30 if you have a problem. 0-20 comes out like water after 4500 miles. Ive seen what the guys who run shops and beat on these cars have said and done

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Alright alright good Sir, don't get upset. Sarcasm it is. But I probably was an asshole with this comment. Even though I'm not a texan but I still love beef.

Anyhow, this subject has really been beaten to death. And everyone is very well aware that using something other than what's in the manual may lead to "warranty issues". Including myself. But, obviously, this is not show stopper, there are multiple ways around - you choose your's. I've made my choice and not looking back (based on the actual data and facts). If you'd like more details - let me know, I'd happy to share the knowledge and experience.
No problem, sorry about the education comment! yes I know that this issue has been talked about, but I never heard anything official from Honda until now, so that is mostly what I was passing along. I don't believe that 0W30 will hurt anyone's engine, I personally don't want to have Honda void my warranty if something should go wrong, so I was just passing some information along.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's funny, I remember coming across this before. I found the picture again - manual says to use 5W-30 or 0W-30 if 0W-20 is not available. Granted this was the European model. Here's the post about it here.

image1-png.png
Is this from your manual? My manual that came with the car only says 0W20....anyway I don't believe 0W30 will damage an engine

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No problem, sorry about the education comment! yes I know that this issue has been talked about, but I never heard anything official from Honda until now, so that is mostly what I was passing along. I don't believe that 0W30 will hurt anyone's engine, I personally don't want to have Honda void my warranty if something should go wrong, so I was just passing some information along.
Ill be honest, if I had bought from a dealer that offers those lifetime warranties if you service your car at their dealer then Id just stick with 0w-20, and not worry about it because they'd be on the hook if something goes wrong.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Im running 5w-30 I dont care what Honda says about my warranty(Its almost gone anyway). Let em prove you ran 5w-30 if you have a problem. 0-20 comes out like water after 4500 miles. Ive seen what the guys who run shops and beat on these cars have said and done
Seeing that in other markets around the world, that all have the same exact engine, are allowed to run 0w-30, 5W-30 and even 10W-30, I doubt you will see any ill effects. The reason 0W-20 is listed in the manual for US is due to MPGs only, even says it right in it.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Proof is in the UOAs folks. 30 weight produces less wear than 20 therefore NO DAMAGE to the engine. If you're concerned about lack of the proof to the dealer that you changed your oil with 20 weight - buy a jug, return it and keep the receipt. I have another vehicle in the family that runs on 20 weight (non turbo) so receipts for me is not an issue. Hope this helps
Sponsored