So who’s actually confirmed having gas in their oil in their Civic?

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
What's a bummer is that there are people who take their 1.5L's to drive in lube shops and garages where the workers don't know about this oil level rising issue and are filling up the oil to the top of the dipstick. And when oil level rises, it goes up to the stem of the dipstick.

The only time in all my garage done oil changes I have been spoken to about direct injection in the car is to upsell me on a "system cleaning job," essentially to dump seafoam into the gas tank
Sponsored

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have two 1.5T civics and both have had oil levels rise and blow oil pan seals. The oil when changed was so watery. Hopefully Honda figures a fix quick.

dougb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic touring
Country flag
I have a 2017 civic sedan touring with 35,000 miles. I have had the oil analyzed twice both times with around 5,000 miles on the oil. First one came back critical @ over 5% dilution and the second one came back @ 3% dilution. Talked to the dealer and he said no codes are showing so there is no problem. I showed him the oil analysis and he said that there is no problem. Honda closed my case. I am about to have the oil analyzed sometime in nov. Right before the supposed fix will be available. Honda hasn't said much about the civic nly the cr-v.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I changed my oil and there was 3/4 quart of gas in my oil with no code. I drained out 4.5 quarts in 30 minutes and put back in 3.7 quarts full middle of orange on dip stick. All 1.5T engines have the same issue CRV Accord and CIVIC
Honda Civic 10th gen So who’s actually confirmed having gas in their oil in their Civic? 6tnw2f

Last edited:

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
I go on short drives and long ones. 99% of the time the revs under 2k. I idle a lot.

My oil level does not seem to be rising and the oil does not smell profusely of gasoline.

I'm baffled.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Time to file a mass nationwide Lemon Law Lawsuit. ;)

I really don't think a software fix will do anything. This little 1.5T is heated up and pushed harder the the CRV and Accord. They still have the issue.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My infotainment system actually told me there is gas in the oil.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I go on short drives and long ones. 99% of the time the revs under 2k. I idle a lot.

My oil level does not seem to be rising and the oil does not smell profusely of gasoline.

I'm baffled.
You're lucky. Some people don't do long drives in the middle of a cold winter. It's not a question if gas gets into your oil on a DI engine. It does. The question is how much and does your oil get hot enough to burn it off.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's not a winter or long/short drive issue. I rarely drive my civic and my wife drives highway miles every day. During spring summer warm/hot months and the issue is still 100% there. During the winter I remote start my vehicle to warm it up good before I travel. Honda just needs to own up and take care of everyone. ;) Stop making excuses.

You're lucky. Some people don't do long drives in the middle of a cold winter. It's not a question if gas gets into your oil on a DI engine. It does. The question is how much and does your oil get hot enough to burn it off.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
It's not a winter or long/short drive issue. I rarely drive my civic and my wife drives highway miles every day. During spring summer warm/hot months and the issue is still 100% there. During the winter I remote start my vehicle to warm it up good before I travel. Honda just needs to own up and take care of everyone. ;) Stop making excuses.
No, it's not entirely a winter issue but there are many cases that are. I'm willing to bet the majority of issues are cold weather related. Remote start does not warm up a vehicle good. Driving does. All it does is contribute to fuel getting washed past the rings.

I'm not making any excuses. Yes, there is a problem. I should know. I had it. It happened a little last summer with few miles on my car but mostly in the winter. I didn't consider it a big deal. Drained some oil and went on my way. In the last 7 months I have no abnormally high readings on the dipstick.

There has been no wear on any of the engines with dilution that had oil analysis done. Once engines start blowing up because of it, maybe then Honda will do something.

I do feel sorry for those that are inconvenienced because of it but Honda does have good resale value for those feeling the need to jump ship.

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
No, it's not entirely a winter issue but there are many cases that are. I'm willing to bet the majority of issues are cold weather related. Remote start does not warm up a vehicle good. Driving does. All it does is contribute to fuel getting washed past the rings.

I'm not making any excuses. Yes, there is a problem. I should know. I had it. It happened a little last summer with few miles on my car but mostly in the winter. I didn't consider it a big deal. Drained some oil and went on my way. In the last 7 months I have no abnormally high readings on the dipstick.

There has been no wear on any of the engines with dilution that had oil analysis done. Once engines start blowing up because of it, maybe then Honda will do something.

I do feel sorry for those that are inconvenienced because of it but Honda does have good resale value for those feeling the need to jump ship.
Better jump ship quick, in the golden age of information. Honda's latest reliability rating plummeted to #15 (lower than Nissan)!

/panic mode

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Better jump ship quick, in the golden age of information. Honda's latest reliability rating plummeted to #15 (lower than Nissan)!

/panic mode
Think about it.

(1) For there to be a Code for Oil Dilution, there would need to be a sensor of some type to detect it.
(2) If here was a code, and a sensor, that would be Honda admitting that Oil Dilution was a known potential problem when they designing the car engine.(and fitting the sensor and creating the code)

I find it outrageous that a dealer would say :
"There is no code indicating oil dilution, so there is no oil dilution",​
while looking at an oil report from a reputable oil analysis company, that has a quantitative measurement of gas in the oil. :doh:

Outrageous, but not unexpected !!!

Note:
There is also no error Code indicating-
"The car was serviced in-correctly by the Dealer",
so by the Dealers Logic,
"The Car MUST have been serviced correctly by them" !!! :banghead:

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can one of you carrying the pitch forks please tell me how the fuel in your oil is hurting your car? I want one of you to produce an honest scientific answer.

Last edited:

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Can one of you carrying the pitch forks please tell me how the fuel in your oil is hurting your car? I want one of you to produce an honest scientific answer.
Not much scientific answer; just FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt):

- Can we agree that fuel in oil shouldn't happen in the ideal situation? In other words, I don't think Honda designed the engine that way.

- Long term effects of fuel in oil is unknown. Conventional wisdom would suggest quicker wear in engine components. Anyway, "unknown" doesn't sit well with paying customers.

- Related to above, I'd argue that most Civic owner bought a Civic because they want a car that lasts long with minimal fuss. That reputation is about to be ruined because 1) it's unknown how the engine will last, and 2) more maintenance is required... in a Civic.

- It took Honda a while to even acknowledge the problem. A fix is supposed to be released in November, but that is for the CRV only. How about the 1.5T in Civic? Accord?

- Meanwhile, resale value may slide.

Disclaimer: I don't believe my vehicle is experiencing fuel dilution (there's no gas smell in oil; I rarely take short drives), but I don't think the problem (in Honda cars in general) can be ignored. How the company is currently handling the problem is also disappointing.
Sponsored