More sad news for the manual

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
Everyone is forgetting that the US isn't the world.

Other countries have a higher ratio of manual to automatics than we do.

What that means is that we might not be offered manuals in the future even if they are offered in other countries. We'll probably be able to import them and do conversions in the future, even though that would suck.

I don't believe the manual will go away in the near term. I do believe it will be harder to find in the US and be more and more confined to purpose built drivers cars such as the CTR, GT350R, 1LE, etc.
No one is forgetting that the US isn’t the world. Maybe you are. But if I live in the US why would I give a shit that there’s a car with a stick in Malaysia?
Sponsored

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
Easier to sell a used automatic car. Population of potential buyers is much, much larger.

Few want a manual. Just ask the dealers.

Recently sold my old manual Accord. Many were interested until they discovered it was a manual. A starter car for their high school daughter. Couldn't drive a manual. Didn't want one. Just wanted to jump in and go -- not learn how to operate a manual.
It's somewhat of a chicken-and-egg situation, I think.

My dealer had to get my manual from another dealer up state. While talking to him, he said when they get a manual in, it sells pretty much immediately. Honda only dribbles them in one at a time.

This was before the Si though. They have those on the lot.

MrBrig

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EXT 6MT
Country flag
I was looking to buy an Acura with a manual, none are made in the US. Then I was going to get a 2019 Civic 1.5 6MT, nope. So ended up getting a 2018 EXT 6MT. I was willing to pay a lot more for an Acura. Many people who want manuals are willing to pay more for a car. The civic only cost 20 iPhones :).

Honda Civic 10th gen More sad news for the manual image

Reactions: mjh

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I was looking to buy an Acura with a manual, none are made in the US. Then I was going to get a 2019 Civic 1.5 6MT, nope. So ended up getting a 2018 EXT 6MT. I was willing to pay a lot more for an Acura. Many people who want manuals are willing to pay more for a car. The civic only cost 20 iPhones :).

image.png

Why did you get the EXT instead of the Si?

Boomalot

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatch, Sport/Touring Sonic Grey
Well I just got my 2018 Sport/Touring in a 6MT. I feel as though I am lucky as my salesman informed me last time I was in that they had no more in Sonic Grey MT in British Columbia and one in Alberta. Save yourself a $1000 and get a MT and if you want to do any major upgrades to your car, all you need to do is switch out your clutch to handle as much HP as you can throw at the MT. The CVT can't handle much more than it came with.

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback 6MT SGP sport touring
Country flag
Well I just got my 2018 Sport/Touring in a 6MT. I feel as though I am lucky as my salesman informed me last time I was in that they had no more in Sonic Grey MT in British Columbia and one in Alberta. Save yourself a $1000 and get a MT and if you want to do any major upgrades to your car, all you need to do is switch out your clutch to handle as much HP as you can throw at the MT. The CVT can't handle much more than it came with.
I also got a 2017 sonic grey 6MT hatch! People are always complimenting the colour! I got a manual because it makes me way less distracted behind the wheel.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Back in the day, say 20~30 years ago, manual transmission cars were almost always cheaper, had faster acceleration, and had better mpg, as compared to their automatic counterpart. Then, the automatics/DSG/CVT improved over time and all of those advantages disappeared . . . . in fact, today, the manual version of the same car/trim is more expensive (or same price), slower and less fuel efficient than the auto version. And of course, there is always the lame (IMHO, sorry) standby argument about driving in traffic jams and the spouse not being able to drive the manual.

But that's all irrelevant to us enthusiasts. An analogy might be how in vitro fertilization (IVF) is a lot more effective way of conceiving than the traditional method of getting pregnant (look that up if you must), but we know which method is way more fun.

[I say that with my tongue planted in my cheek, at least somewhat, since IVF is apparently a huge pain and is super expensive.]

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
No one is forgetting that the US isn’t the world. Maybe you are. But if I live in the US why would I give a shit that there’s a car with a stick in Malaysia?
Apparently you’ve never overnighted parts from Japan?

Last edited:

glsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm sad that you can't get a Civic EX with a manual after the 2019 upgrade.

Reactions: mjh

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
The time when MT's aren't offered at all is still far away. You can still today make chemical photographs, although 95% of people won't understand why would anyone want to take a picture with anything but a telephone. You can still buy vinyl records, and a needle scanner for them, and a tube amplifier with only two knobs like the Accord headunit, (an etch-a-sketch to some , but quite a pricey one) . It will just become more expensive and require more compromises, less choice. A thing for eccentrics.

2TolZupZrDLa4EX18919iAJIYYqip-PUHdpRcnYRGXuVZYcq5xh_0Ynoz1A?width=1500&height=1014&cropmode=none.jpg

The 4% number for new cars sold in the US is not current. Today the "take rate" is allegedly closer to 2% for "all vehicles" all brands. Rough fishing guys pulling their huge boats with huge trucks out of the water don't care for manual just like soccer moms don't want them in their minivan or cross-SUV.

So what is the reason to stick with the stick? Because after a perfect shift the engine sound tells me "you are a champion, sir" and it's satisfying. My boss or my wife never tells me that anymore no matter what I do.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/class...over-manual-transmissions-20180710-story.html
is that your amplifier? if so, how does it sound? I'd love to hear it.

dn7309

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport
Country flag
I love manual... except when I’m commuting.

skshrews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2005 TSX, Honda Civic Hatchback LX 6MT 2017
Country flag
Honda is slowly killing it too. No more MT unless you get an Si or the 2.0 na. and canada dumped all the 6mt except the Si.
Huh? Hatchback you can get 6MT with 1.5T. And the Accord Sport has 6MT + 1.5T.
Sponsored