MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
So what is the idea behind how to shift when the revs hang? Is it just an annoyance of sound, or do you have to pause for a moment before putting your foot on the clutch pedal... or do you have to do the whole shifting process more slowly?

I guess I just don't know what it means to have rev hang and how I am supposed to go about shifting with it. Over time I will likely disable it with a KTuner, but until then I'm curious what the go-to way is to shift until then.

I just don't know if I like the idea of having a moment where I'm in gear ready to shift and then fall off the gas pedal completely while the engine brake resists me before I push in the clutch. I suppose if I stay in low RPM's then that won't be an issue, but I'm not quite sure what the overarching goal is when having rev hang and needing to manually shift.

Thanks for any who can help. By the way I don't have this car yet, but upon test-driving it twice, watching YouTubers and listening to everybody here, I thought I'd give this question a whirl before I'm an official owner of one.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just shift like I normally do. The clutch engagement slows the engine down to match.
Thanks. I'm just curious because I'm a fast shifter is all. I don't necessary "rip" the stick or anything but I move my feet rather racer-fast in my '99 Civic Ex.

EDIT: Oh, and I also don't go WOT. I just mean I shift fast.

Last edited:

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
Thanks. I'm just curious because I'm a fast shifter is all. I don't necessary "rip" the stick or anything but I move my feet rather racer-fast in my '99 Civic Ex.
I haven't done a full WOT pull through third gear in my Si yet, but I did on the used 2017 with 10k that I test drove.

I was shifting very quickly and didn't have any issues with the hang.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
While we are on this subject, is there anyway to get rid of the rev hang without spending $699 on the Hondata product? This is my first Si (2018), I want to keep it stock except for the eliminating the rev hang

luigi2120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I have noticed that rev hang is not bad when you shift at about 3k rpm or less. Once you reach 4k plus (especially in 1st and 2nd gear) you have to wait for your rpms to drop to shift smoothly. Yes you can shift and let the clutch engagement take care of everything but it is unnecessary wear and harsh (at least for me).

I believe to remove the slow drop in rpm's people are removing the clutch delay valve

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have noticed that rev hang is not bad when you shift at about 3k rpm or less. Once you reach 4k plus (especially in 1st and 2nd gear) you have to wait for your rpms to drop to shift smoothly. Yes you can shift and let the clutch engagement take care of everything but it is unnecessary wear and harsh (at least for me).

I believe to remove the slow drop in rpm's people are removing the clutch delay valve
I was just reading on the clutch delay valve, and from what I have read it prevents shock and damage to the drive train. I think I will leave it alone and live with the Rev hang, which is mostly present when driving more spirited

luigi2120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I was just reading on the clutch delay valve, and from what I have read it prevents shock and damage to the drive train. I think I will leave it alone and live with the Rev hang, which is mostly present when driving more spirited
You get use to it. I promise. After having the car for 9 months now I am use to it now. My girlfriend has had hers for 3 months already and she's getting the hang of it now.

I can't say much about the Ktuner or Hondata's revhang feature. I heard that your rpms will drop the moment you push the clutch in but will still still drop slowly

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
the rev-hang causes me to granny shift and not double clutch like i should.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
While we are on this subject, is there anyway to get rid of the rev hang without spending $699 on the Hondata product? This is my first Si (2018), I want to keep it stock except for the eliminating the rev hang
Spend $449 on the ktuner. There's really no other option without "tuning" sadly.

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I just shift like I normally do. The clutch engagement slows the engine down to match.
Yeah, before I ever drove the car I had read all about this horrible rev hang and was worried it would be some big annoying problem... Then I got the car and, honestly, I don't really even know what all the bitching is about. It not even something I would notice and certainly not anything that has required me to change the way I drive a manual to compensate for it.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Spend $449 on the ktuner. There's really no other option without "tuning" sadly.
I am assuming KTUNERFLEU-V1.2 is the correct device for a 2018 Civic Si?

OP
OP
MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, before I ever drove the car I had read all about this horrible rev hang and was worried it would be some big annoying problem... Then I got the car and, honestly, I don't really even know what all the bitching is about. It not even something I would notice and certainly not anything that has required me to change the way I drive a manual to compensate for it.
When I first test-drove it I didn't know it was a thing. I thought I was looking like a foolish idiot in front of the dealer that didn't know how to drive a stick even though it's all I've driven for the past fifteen years, because I wasn't "shifting right." Then I learned about rev hang. And I wasn't forcing anything at all of course, especially with a Honda rep in the car.