Do any of you long time "Honda Vtec" lovers miss the old screamer engines?

Type_RawR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8 #14116 / 2008 FG2
Country flag
I never sell my favorites...currently in the garage with no motor or trans in it, probably gonna strip the interior put in a cage and make it a 1/4 mile car :headbang:

Honda Civic 10th gen Do any of you long time "Honda Vtec" lovers miss the old screamer engines? 2012-11-11_09-31-55_130
Sponsored

movovr

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
The type r blows the 8th Gen I had out of the water in pretty much every category except character. That car felt and sounded faster than it really was especially with an exhaust and intake. I miss that car a lot and regret selling it. The really sad part is that I see it driven around my area every once in a while which just makes it all that much worst.

willimo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Civic, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'd miss it if I didn't have my B18C swapped EK in the garage. I absolutely love the sounds it makes and the way power comes on after about 6000rpm, it's what made me fall in love with Honda back in the '90s. It's an incredible way to build engines, but as we know it stopped being competitive long before Honda decided to go turbo.

The Mugen RR is incredible - I wanted to clone it as well as I could with my 8th generation Si, but when the FK8 came available, there was no chance I would stick to that plan. I can regret that Honda gave up on the old ways, but the FK8 does literally everything better, so I am glad they are relavent in the sport compact conversation again.

OP
OP
Driveitlikeustoleit

Driveitlikeustoleit

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lada
What's the catch? Seems like a hell of a deal, considering low miles for a 2001 and an unmolested RSX-S garners nearly as much in the US?
My friend, that's the beauty of it....there is no catch.
It is one heck of a deal.
There are many companies that operate out of Japan who buy these cars and ship them all over the world.
You have to understand, many who live in Japan live in big cities and do not drive their cars much, that explains the low mileage for the year.
The whole country of Japan could fit into the state of California, where California has 37 million people, Japan has 127 million people=lots of cars.
It's just really unfortunate that the US rules require the imported vehicles be 25 years old or older.
A 25 year old car is far less desirable than a 15 year old car that Canadians can get.

HumbleSage

The Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2, 2008 Civic SI's. 1 Ralleye Red (Stock). 1 Fiji Blue Pearl (Modified). 1 2017 Civic Type-R (Stock)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Short answer. Yes. I wish the Type-R had that racing rapped ape engine sound, but she doesn't. That's ok.. because it's still why I keep this around:

Honda Civic 10th gen Do any of you long time "Honda Vtec" lovers miss the old screamer engines? Brooke

V-TEC sounds even better when you put a turbo behind it. :)

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
it was always my dream to have a b series vtec. never could afford one and ended up w/ a salvaged 92 integra w/ the ls back in the days. learned a lot and put bunch of vtec parts in it. I was pretty disappointed when they released a turbo R. they could've put in an Accord Euro R motor in it. But no complaints now. It's pretty much on a lot of semi sports or sports cars nowadays. Too easy to add power. It'll kind of be heartbreaking if they released a 306 hp NA motor that revs to 9k. I'll have some major decision making problems.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
So I have had civics longer then some posters on here have been alive. Guess im old or what ever, but never understood why people want thier cars loud and heard from 5 miles away. I rather enjoy the quiet power of the type R. All these cars with "sound" all reving and being obnoxious makes me laugh when I'm looking at them in the rear view.

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
I don't have a Type R, but I've enjoyed this thread because I've gone in the other direction -- from a beastly SAAB 9-5 Aero to a high-revving VTEC Acura TSX (6MT). For sound and feel, the Acura is much more satisfying than the SAAB, and I prefer high-revving VTEC in the city and on some back roads. But on the highway, turbo torque rules, and the Acura doesn't even come close to the SAAB's dominance. I figure the Type R might be the best of both worlds, and I want one.

NTAWRX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 civic si and 2017 CTR #1077
Country flag
I don't have a Type R, but I've enjoyed this thread because I've gone in the other direction -- from a beastly SAAB 9-5 Aero to a high-revving VTEC Acura TSX (6MT). For sound and feel, the Acura is much more satisfying than the SAAB, and I prefer high-revving VTEC in the city and on some back roads. But on the highway, turbo torque rules, and the Acura doesn't even come close to the SAAB's dominance. I figure the Type R might be the best of both worlds, and I want one.
Get one and don't look back. I have an 8th gen and side with all the comments about the lovely VTEC sounds from the screaming NA motor. However I can not complain about a motor that seems to have an endless pull in acceleration. The CTR is a perfect example of how a Type R should drive and handle on a variety of surfaces.

Mugen Euro

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mugeneuro.com
Vehicle(s)
FN2 Civic Type R Mugen 2.2, FK2 Civic Type R
Country flag
Purely by coincidence I am just sitting here waiting for a K20A to fire up on the dyno, as I usually go in and have a look/listen when we are running them. We have a few hundred of these engines that we have sold over the years (for motorsport), and quite a few are still out racing with our European customers, so we are still working on them, building some new ones from scratch, and developing some new parts.
Eventually we are going to have to switch over completely to the new turbos etc but we love the n/a engine so much that for now we still keep working on them when we get the chance.

There are 2 or 3 Mugen RR in the UK now and they are a fantastic exclusive car. If/when you can get them imported over there they are well worth a look as a classic car from a certain era.

willimo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Civic, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
So I have had civics longer then some posters on here have been alive. Guess im old or what ever, but never understood why people want thier cars loud and heard from 5 miles away. I rather enjoy the quiet power of the type R. All these cars with "sound" all reving and being obnoxious makes me laugh when I'm looking at them in the rear view.
It's not about how loud they sound, it's how good they sound. When (if) my EK goes out of OBDII emissions testing, it's getting ITBs. Not because it will be loud, but because it will have that beautiful sound. There's nothing like the tone of a high revving, uncorked engine. Turbos will never sound as good. They'll be loads faster and have better power bands and be undoubtedly great, but they will never sound as good.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
It's not about how loud they sound, it's how good they sound. When (if) my EK goes out of OBDII emissions testing, it's getting ITBs. Not because it will be loud, but because it will have that beautiful sound. There's nothing like the tone of a high revving, uncorked engine. Turbos will never sound as good. They'll be loads faster and have better power bands and be undoubtedly great, but they will never sound as good.
Some think country music is the music of the gods and some think it sounds like whining garbage. Guess the "sound " of a car is the same.

Vteclover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 civic si
Country flag
I still drive my 94 civic si vtec, every time I hit the highway I got to let the vtec kick in, love that sounds, I must say I have the best of both worlds

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
They were fun in their time as Honda managed to make slow cars feel fast which is not an easy feat. Today I feel we take for granted how fast today’s cars are where Camaro’s and Mustangs are accelerating to 60 mph in 4 seconds. The current Type R’s stock acceleration times are in the same ballpark as the 90’s Supra Twin Turbo. Even the Nissan GTR is bested by a lot of new cars in regards to acceleration. It’s a good time to be an auto enthusiast.
Sponsored