SI transmission in a Sport hatch project

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
So an Si tranny fits with just swapping out the driver side CV axle, is that correct? forgive me if im oversimplifying this. what about the LSD ?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport manual
Country flag
Yes but you need the passenger side SI half shaft as well. The LSD is built in to the SI transmission so you don't need to do anything with that.

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
I see. Sweet.

Have you noticed a difference in driving dynamics with the LSD?

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have noticed it a little bit but I'm still braking in the new clutch. So I haven't driven it hard yet and that's when its really going to make a difference.

I'm finally past 500 miles so I'm driving it a bit more aggressively but I'm going to wait for 1000 miles before I do wide open throttle.

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
I'm glad this worked out for you. I was planning on installing just the LSD from the Si into my Sport as well. I know they share the transmission cases so the Si LSD should just drop in with the Si ring gear. Judging from parts numbers and descriptions alone, I found (and you confirmed) the inboard Si CV joints are larger than the Sport, but I wasn't sure about the hub and knuckle compatibility. The Si and Sport hubs are different part numbers, but the same wheel bearing. If anything, I though you might need Si hubs for the conversion as well. Good to know the Si axles fit in the Sport knuckles/hubs.

Aside from the larger splined part of the Si axles, could you find any other physical differences? Was the Si axle a larger diameter? I was thinking of just getting the Si driver's axle and the passenger intermediate shaft. Does the Sport passenger axle work with the Si intermediate shaft?

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm glad this worked out for you. I was planning on installing just the LSD from the Si into my Sport as well. I know they share the transmission cases so the Si LSD should just drop in with the Si ring gear. Judging from parts numbers and descriptions alone, I found (and you confirmed) the inboard Si CV joints are larger than the Sport, but I wasn't sure about the hub and knuckle compatibility. The Si and Sport hubs are different part numbers, but the same wheel bearing. If anything, I though you might need Si hubs for the conversion as well. Good to know the Si axles fit in the Sport knuckles/hubs.

Aside from the larger splined part of the Si axles, could you find any other physical differences? Was the Si axle a larger diameter? I was thinking of just getting the Si driver's axle and the passenger intermediate shaft. Does the Sport passenger axle work with the Si intermediate shaft?
I didn't find any other physical differences. The Si axle was the same diameter as the Sport.

I think the Si intermediate shaft will fit on the Sport passenger axle. I didn't fully connect them because its a tight fit and I didn't want to spend a bunch of time trying to get it back off. I did connect them a little bit and it seemed to line up and go in just fine.Let me know if you need any part numbers.

PRL is selling aftermarket LSD kit's for the non si transmission. That might be a cheaper route if your going to open up the transmission.

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Finally have a update for you guys. I have over 1000 miles on the clutch/transmission now and have had no problems so far. Well thats not totally true...I do have a very annoying rattle that sounds like its coming from the passenger side. I have been under the car twice now trying to find it but no luck. I think I will disconnect the type r front sway bar end links and try moving the bar up and down to see if that's the cause.

I received the 27won turbo but sadly the RV6 downpipe/frontpipe didn't happen. I did order some parts though. PRL race maf, PRL downpipe and a PLM frontpipe. I wanted to try the PLM frontpipe fitment with the stock downpipe and the PRL downpipe. For $165 shipped it might be a good option for people wanting to save some money if the fitment doesn't suck.

Everyone likes dyno numbers right? Well I wanted to see where I'm at before the 27won turbo so here you go.

Result: 240whp 303wtq

Mods
Ktuner V2
Custom VitTune 92 octane E30 blend
PRL cold air intake street version
PRL intercooler
FX350 clutch
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project Adam civic.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project Adam civic overlay.JPG
Purple line is boost. Peak boost is 25psi.

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
Awesome man!!! Pretty damn good numbers for stock Dp/fp

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any updates on that rattle?
Yeah I found it. It was the heat shield next to the resonator. One of the spots where it mounts to the car was broken. It started rattling because I have the plastic that covers the bottom of the car off at the moment.

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
A month with the 27 Won but you havne't put it on yet?

You are a patient man, assuming the RV6 arrived and you threw the DP/FP - how did the PLM work - and are rocking a fast ass car now capable of low 12's?

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
A month with the 27 Won but you havne't put it on yet?

You are a patient man, assuming the RV6 arrived and you threw the DP/FP - how did the PLM work - and are rocking a fast ass car now capable of low 12's?
You're right I haven't put it on yet. My friends think I'm nuts for not slapping that thing on the car as soon as I got it lol. They don't understand it needs a tune and its a long process doing a etune. I also want to make sure I have all the bolt ons I want before I do the tune.

I have been working on the exhaust. Once I get that setup the way I want I will put the turbo in.
The RV6 combo didn't happen. I went with the PRL downpipe and the PLM frontpipe. The downpipe was on a 4 week back order that I didn't know about when I ordered it (I didn't order it from PRL).

When it finally showed up I tossed it on the car with the PLM frontpipe. I ran in to few more problems. The PLM didn't fit (no surprise there lol) so I took that off and put the stock frontpipe back on.

The second problem was that I had a resonator delete. I learned that a catless downpipe and no resonator sound HORRIBLE on this car. So I had the stock resonator welded back in and that made it sound way better but I ended up deciding to get a new exhaust. So I now have a stock Type R exhaust sitting in my garage waiting to go on the car.

If I was to do it all over again I would of picked up the RV6 catted downpipe/frontpipe combo I don't like the smell from the catless downpipe I was thinking it wouldn't be as bad as my 9thgen Si since I'm running 35% ethanol and the motor is way smaller but I was wrong.

Last edited:

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You're right I haven't put it on yet. My friends think I'm nuts for not slapping that thing on the car as soon as I got it lol. They don't understand it needs a tune and its a long process doing a etune. I also want to make sure I have all the bolt ons I want before I do the tune.

I have been working on the exhaust. Once I get that setup the way I want I will put the turbo in.
The RV6 combo didn't happen. I went with the PRL downpipe and the PLM frontpipe. The downpipe was on a 4 week back order that I didn't know about when I ordered it (I didn't order it from PRL).

When it finally showed up I tossed it in the car with the PLM frontpipe. I ran in to few more problems. The PLM didn't fit (no surprise there lol) so I took that off and put the stock frontpipe back on.

The second problem was that I had a resonator delete. I learned that a catless downpipe and no resonator sound HORRIBLE on this car. So I had the stock resonator welded back in and that made it sound way better but I ended up deciding to get a new exhaust. So I now have a stock Type R exhaust sitting in my garage waiting to go on the car.

If I was to do it all over again I would of picked up the RV6 catted downpipe/frontpipe combo I don't like the smell from the catless downpipe I was thinking it wouldn't be as bad as my 9thgen Si since I'm running 35% ethanol and the motor is way smaller but I was wrong.
I have the Redline 360 2.5" DP and FP and stock exhaust but added a 12" glasspack for the cold starts as it was waking the wife and baby up when i left for owrk, the little 12" glasspack changed the tone and dropped it down I LOVE the sound now... Prior to the glasspack, and with the glasspack I have had NO smells, so not sure why you are getting a smell man? Rode in several other 10th gens and no smells in thiers as well....

I went with a cheap DP/FP as this is a long term car so I will eventually go with one of the aftermarket turbo's like the PRL that uses a different DP so didn't mind cheaping out, and put down the 13.9 on crap tires and just the TSP stg1 for tune so I'm happy!

As for the turbo - the baseline's are good enough to run and enjoy for a while prior to the etune, but I completely understand about mods before tuning! It's not as bad on a MAF and MAP car but I did mods and tunes to old school Speed Density and you really should retune for everything on them...

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
update

Progress has been kind of slow. Mostly because the type r exhaust is not everything I hoped it would be and with winter here I don't feel very motivated to work on stuff in the cold.

Lets get started on what I don't like about the type r exhaust.

- I had to remove a stock chassis brace because it wont fit with the type r exhaust. (I think its a FK7 brace only).

- That 3rd exhaust tip in the middle...its just there for looks. It doesn't do anything.

- It tapers down to 2 inch pipe where it connects to the front pipe...

- It's to quiet. I knew that was going to be the case so I'm not really upset about it. What I don't understand is why no one else has pointed out the other issues.

After getting over all the little surprises I started modifying the exhaust. I decided to remove the first resonator closest to the frontpipe (it has two) and have the whole front of the exhaust redone with 2.5 inch pipe (the stock type r exhaust size is slightly under 2.5 inches).

This removed the 2 inch restriction and let me put my chassis brace back on (that resonator is why it wouldn't fit). Sadly it didn't make the exhaust any louder.

Next I decided to remove the middle muffler that looks like it gos to the 3rd exhaust tip but really doesn't. This made the exhaust a little louder. I have been experimenting with the pipe where the muffler was by leaving it unplugged/plugged (trying to find what sounds best to me). So far I like how the exhaust sounds with it plugged.

With how much I have spent on the type r exhaust and not having any good exhaust shops to make the custom changes I want with out making it look like crap. I should have got a aftermarket exhaust.

Same goes for the PLM frontpipe. That thing does not fit well with the PRL downpipe. I took a hammer to it and put a dent where it was hitting the motor to make it fit better (it still doesn't fit very well). I will replace it with a PRL frontpipe at some point.

I am going to try and get you guys a sound clip because I know you will be curious how it sounds. I think I'm going to have to have my friend drive the car as I record the exhaust in the back with the hatch open. I hope I don't fall out lmao.
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20181222_010438
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20181222_005943
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20181222_005916
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20181222_005237
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20181222_005347
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20181222_005452
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20181222_005514
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20181222_002627
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20181222_001857