Rattling Sound

stlinking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 turbo
Honestly, I'm not sure what they did. I took it to the dealer and they fixed it.

I do have another rattle near the back of the car but I might just live with it. Don't want the dealer tearing my car apart to find it.
Hi, I am living in Singapore and is facing the exact same rattle noise. Are you able to find out from your dealer how they fixed the issue. The rattling is driving me nuts. Appreciate your help.

Thank you!!
Sponsored

carsrmilife

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring(TRADED)
Country flag
I too have this EXACT rattle/squeak in my Hatch ST, by the sunroof in the headliner. Pressure makes it go away temporarily. Very annoying!

iLeKtraN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB ST, 2018 Odyssey EX
Country flag
I have this exact problem. It is not the sunroof (roof liner/visor), I do get those sounds as well. This is a metallic sound and only occurs at highway speed, not attributed to road bumps. I had a dealer mechanic drive with me while he sat in the front passenger seat and then in the rear seat to try to isolate the noise. It is less pronounced when someone is sitting in the passenger seat. The mechanic thought it was the cover over the seat adjustment controls which he claims was loose and so he corrected, but that was not it. He could not replicate the sound when he had the car without me in it (go figure). I have a recording of it on my phone while I was sitting in the passenger seat. In the video I move the phone around the side of the seat and then under. While under the seat the noise is significantly louder. This is not a window issue or a roof liner issue, it is definitely something under or inside the passenger seat. It did not begin until after I drove in a heavy rain (6 months after purchase) which made me first think water was somehow leaking into the car. It still seems more pronounced after driving in rain, but that may simply be circumstantial.

GoodBytes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Country flag
I hear it. Sounds similarly to something stuck in a vent.
The best thing you can do, is have someone in the car try to identify where it is coming from, and press on different panels to know where it comes from. I have a rattling sound of my own in my car, I'll make the dealership check it out. In my case, it is from the car ceiling. If the sun roof is open or just a hint open, it stops doing it, or if I close the sunroof window cover (or whatever you call that sliding panel). Might be a lose wire or something. I was told they usually open the panel where the sound comes from, put a bunch of felt at the inside, stick whatever cable against it so it doesn't knock and call it a day, which usually solves he problem. Not sure how true that is. But makes sense, and sounds like a quick fix. Anyway, I'll see for my problem.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I have this exact problem. It is not the sunroof (roof liner/visor), I do get those sounds as well. This is a metallic sound and only occurs at highway speed, not attributed to road bumps. I had a dealer mechanic drive with me while he sat in the front passenger seat and then in the rear seat to try to isolate the noise. It is less pronounced when someone is sitting in the passenger seat. The mechanic thought it was the cover over the seat adjustment controls which he claims was loose and so he corrected, but that was not it. He could not replicate the sound when he had the car without me in it (go figure). I have a recording of it on my phone while I was sitting in the passenger seat. In the video I move the phone around the side of the seat and then under. While under the seat the noise is significantly louder. This is not a window issue or a roof liner issue, it is definitely something under or inside the passenger seat. It did not begin until after I drove in a heavy rain (6 months after purchase) which made me first think water was somehow leaking into the car. It still seems more pronounced after driving in rain, but that may simply be circumstantial.
It sounds like I've got this too, but it seems to be louder under the driver's seat. I'm still trying to determine what it is, were you able to get it fixed or find out what was causing the rattle? Here's what I was able to record:

tristar76

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EXT Sedan
This is the EXACT same rattle I have. Very annoying.

Johncarter269

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan
Country flag
It sounds like I've got this too, but it seems to be louder under the driver's seat. I'm still trying to determine what it is, were you able to get it fixed or find out what was causing the rattle? Here's what I was able to record:

Mine does the same thing. Were you able to get it fixed?

GoodBytes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Country flag
Mine comes and goes as well. But, I’m determined to figure it out
Probably temperature as plastic expands and contract. This is what I have with my headliner. I tried to put a lot of foam myself after servicing my car several times. It helped a lot, but now I think the problem for the remaining vibration issues it is the cabling that vibrates. I only hear it on bumpy roads, but still annoying... wasn't doing this when the car was new.

Comparing it with a Toyota Camry 2000, it is interesting to see how before they jam packed the ceiling with some sort of foam, and now it is just empty. If it bugs me, I might see in bringing to a shop to do something like this. Not sure how, nor have an idea of cost (probably too expensive), but we will see.

fynn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe
Country flag
For those who have a rattle sound coming from the sunroof area, I found this video that helped solved the issue:

Instead of the foam he used in that video, I had some leftover foam applicator wax pads and cut them in half and stacked them and shoved underneath the area where it was rattling. Took it around the block and went over bumps and some turns and the rattle was gone. Hopefully this helps.

himynameisaaron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl White Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Also getting rattling in the headliner, also rattling in the dash area on the passenger side. If I press down on the little defrost vent in the corner of the dash it goes away. Ive always known Honda didn't have the best fit and finish but less than 10k and getting rattles already is a bit unacceptable.

oyyoyy84

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic tcp
Country flag
Anyone have any updates on exactly what happened with this problem? Mine is having the exact same problem. I find myself turning up the music just to block it out! I'm taking it to the dealer on Friday and want to let them know what other people are saying. I CANNOT STAND the noise. Thank you for all your help!
Have u guys solved this prob? Now my turn
Sponsored