Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Mazda Cx-5, (RIP) '17 SGP Civic Hatch Ex
Country flag
So just finishing breaking in my fx350 and purchased all the necessary wiring/sensors/converters needed to run a flex fuel (ethanol) tune.

How come I haven't seen anyone here talk about the TSP stage 2 tune? I remember with the TSP Stage 1 tune I would see multiple threads, information, and conversations regarding everyone experience with the tune, personal dyno numbers, pros/cons, etc... Makes me question whether or not I should purchase the tsp stage 2 map... Is there something I'm missing here? Is it still too "new"? Or maybe it's because there is not that much people here running the the required ethanol/flex fuel kit needed to support the map? Regardless I would appreciate it if those who are currently running the Stage 2 map give me their opinion on it and his/her experience, what peak boost they are seeing, and the overall drive ability.

Thank you for any feedback.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Speaking for myself, stage 1 really pours on the power up top compared to either the stock tune or basemaps, with peak power around 6000 RPM, albeit ~30 whp less than Stage 2 can make. Stage 2, to me by looking at it's dyno, gives a good gain of midrange power but power is extremely limited up top, where I'd like to make power, due to the stock turbocharger. Peak power is made before 5000 RPM and drops from there... going back under 250 whp before 6000 RPM.

It still is a good tune and looks to be a good bump over stage 1. It just doesn't have a power curve I find desirable. Building huge torque numbers so low would make a new clutch a forgone conclusion, plus the needed flex-fuel setup. If I we're searching for more power, and I'm not currently as I find the stage 1 enough right now and stock-clutch-friendly, I would seek out a turbo upgrade to shift the powerband to the right, compared to it's midrange bias right now. While gearing comes into play too and not just looking at the dyno across one gear... based on how much power is being made, I'd think you'd definitely be short shifting well under redline for max acceleration.

The fault in the power curve is in the small turbo and not the tune itself as, again, the TSP stage 2 car would make more power and be faster than a Stage 1 car. I'd just ditch the stock turbo on the journey for more power at this point after the gains TSP Stage 1 made. It made a power curve I like.

Just my opinion, limited to the experience of my TSP stage 1 car. Had the dyno shown that 270 whp being made at 6000 RPM I'd be excited. Hitting peak power in a gear south of 5000 RPM and winding it out to keep the lower ratio with power falling more and more in the ~1500 RPM you have left until redline is unappealing to me.

If someone already has flex fuel or wants to get one and gets it packaged with their kit, it still looks great. Just my .02 why I didn't jump on the Stage 2 bandwagon compared to when stage 1 came out.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I love my TSP Stage 2 tune. I still have a stock clutch so I don't use it to full capacity very much, but I do love it's low end power. I think half of the issue with the top end power is the stock intake. The small turbo is not that big a problem with me as I have a modified intake which can breath above 5000 rpm. It doesn't slip when I get on it as I don't do it often enough. I do plan on upgrading my clutch next year so I can be more frisky with the tune. I thought about going, in the future, with an upgraded turbo, but I would have to drive around at higher revs to keep the car responsive, so I am leaning against that upgrade.

OP
OP
gylmar814

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
X​
Speaking for myself, stage 1 really pours on the power up top compared to either the stock tune or basemaps, with peak power around 6000 RPM, albeit ~30 whp less than Stage 2 can make. Stage 2, to me by looking at it's dyno, gives a good gain of midrange power but power is extremely limited up top, where I'd like to make power, due to the stock turbocharger. Peak power is made before 5000 RPM and drops from there... going back under 250 whp before 6000 RPM.

It still is a good tune and looks to be a good bump over stage 1. It just doesn't have a power curve I find desirable. Building huge torque numbers so low would make a new clutch a forgone conclusion, plus the needed flex-fuel setup. If I we're searching for more power, and I'm not currently as I find the stage 1 enough right now and stock-clutch-friendly, I would seek out a turbo upgrade to shift the powerband to the right, compared to it's midrange bias right now. While gearing comes into play too and not just looking at the dyno across one gear... based on how much power is being made, I'd think you'd definitely be short shifting well under redline for max acceleration.

The fault in the power curve is in the small turbo and not the tune itself as, again, the TSP stage 2 car would make more power and be faster than a Stage 1 car. I'd just ditch the stock turbo on the journey for more power at this point after the gains TSP Stage 1 made. It made a power curve I like.

Just my opinion, limited to the experience of my TSP stage 1 car. Had the dyno shown that 270 whp being made at 6000 RPM I'd be excited. Hitting peak power in a gear south of 5000 RPM and winding it out to keep the lower ratio with power falling more and more in the ~1500 RPM you have left until redline is unappealing to me.

If someone already has flex fuel or wants to get one and gets it packaged with their kit, it still looks great. Just my .02 why I didn't jump on the Stage 2 bandwagon compared to when stage 1 came out.
I completely understand where you are coming from... at the end it boils down to personal preference and where do you seek your power to come from... The stage 1 is pretty solid as is. I'm gonna take a look on that dyno graph for the stage 2, havent seen it yet. For everyday driving I would like the midrange. And with @10GenPearlSi on not trying to keep the vehicle on higher revs so it can stay responsive.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is a flex fuel tune of another Si that has a stock turbo by Derek. It does drop a bit in the higher revs, but not very much. Since both are tuned by Derek, I would think that the main difference is that the TSP Stage 2 that drops has the stock intake and the custom tune has the PRL Cobra and holds power to near redline. They both have the stock turbo so I don't think that was a factor in the difference. I would guess the TSP Stage 2 tune would hold power like the custom tune with a PRL Cobra.

OP
OP
gylmar814

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here is a flex fuel tune of another Si that has a stock turbo by Derek. It does drop a bit in the higher revs, but not very much. Since both are tuned by Derek, I would think that the main difference is that the TSP Stage 2 that drops has the stock intake and the custom tune has the PRL Cobra and holds power to near redline. They both have the stock turbo so I don't think that was a factor in the difference. I would guess the TSP Stage 2 tune would hold power like the custom tune with a PRL Cobra.
Thanks for this! are you running ethanol on your car with the stage 2 or you are just using 93?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for this! are you running ethanol on your car with the stage 2 or you are just using 93?
FYI, 93 on Stage 2 behaves like Stage 1.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I run E30 to E40. I like the torque of ethanol.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Would I be able to run e40 on stage 1 and it behave like stage 2 ?
i'm going to go ahead and answer that for them. No. the reason the stage 2 performs like stage 1, on 93, is because the flex fuel tables have been programmed in to pump up the timing and boost with the amount of ethanol. stage 1 tune will be just that, a stage 1 tune.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's a good looking curve to me. The intake may play a big part. I've got one of those drop-ins PRL sells that was supposed to be good for 5-9 whp as memory serves when they dynoed it on Project Snow White, and it wouldn't provide anywhere near what a CAI would, so I know intakes make a measurable difference.

It could be a number of things. There may be more of a boost taper on stage 2, with a bit more boost in on the mid-range than Stage 1 because it simple can with the ethanol... but trading boost for timing and it just not holding power as well because that gave better margin on an unknown car. These staged tunes are still going to be conservative compared to a custom tune so I'm not at all surprised Derek can get more out of a car... and that may be main difference. You may have to pay to play with that much power up top.

OP
OP
gylmar814

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's a good looking curve to me. The intake may play a big part. I've got one of those drop-ins PRL sells that was supposed to be good for 5-9 whp as memory serves when they dynoed it on Project Snow White, and it wouldn't provide anywhere near what a CAI would, so I know intakes make a measurable difference.

It could be a number of things. There may be more of a boost taper on stage 2, with a bit more boost in on the mid-range than Stage 1 because it simple can with the ethanol... but trading boost for timing and it just not holding power as well because that gave better margin on an unknown car. These staged tunes are still going to be conservative compared to a custom tune so I'm not at all surprised Derek can get more out of a car... and that may be main difference. You may have to pay to play with that much power up top.
Considering a CAI shines the most up top i would also like to believe having a quality CAI would make a marginal difference in terms of stretching the power at least a little longer up top. Good thing I have a Cobra. I'm gonna go ahead and bite the bullet and order this stage 2 map. I will report back here to give my 2 cents on what I feel from it and my opinions since I see a lack of that compared to the Stage 1.

IcySerg

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Keeping my eye here, I’m also thinking on getting TSP’a stage 2 flex tune soon once PRL releases their flex fuel kit

Si Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si 98 civic ek, 97 civic coupe
Country flag
I’ve had my tsp kit and tune for 2weeks and it’s awesome. Night and day difference from the tsp1. For the first week I just flashed it and ran it on regular 93. It still showed a 10% ethanol mix in the fuel. Felt better than the tsp1 already. Once I had a chance to drive out of town to get e85 I did. Mixed 4gallons and topped off with 93. Perfect e30 blend. My wife went with me and she immediately felt the big torque difference. Clutch does slip from time to time but that was expected. I don’t usually post on here since I’m on the Facebook pages.

OP
OP
gylmar814

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’ve had my tsp kit and tune for 2weeks and it’s awesome. Night and day difference from the tsp1. For the first week I just flashed it and ran it on regular 93. It still showed a 10% ethanol mix in the fuel. Felt better than the tsp1 already. Once I had a chance to drive out of town to get e85 I did. Mixed 4gallons and topped off with 93. Perfect e30 blend. My wife went with me and she immediately felt the big torque difference. Clutch does slip from time to time but that was expected. I don’t usually post on here since I’m on the Facebook pages.
Thank you for this information. I was wondering if just flashing the stage 2 tune while still running only 93 would make a difference because I've just kept the flash sitting in my email because i'm still waiting for all my ethanol pieces for the flex fuel conversion to come in. I just got the last thing I needed today , and that was the ktuner flex fuel converter. I didn't buy the plug and play kit, I'm making my own kit and will be installing it this weekend. With that being said I guess I will go ahead and flash the stage 2 tune now and run it until I actually put the e30-e40 req blend to take full advantage of of the tsp stage 2. :)
Sponsored