Mystery dash rattle driving me crazy

ionlybuyjapcar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch 10th Gen VTi-LX
I have a much more minor rattle. It's where the center speaker attaches to. When going over bumpy roads, I hear a little rattle. It goes away when I put my hands on the speaker edge so I'm guessing the seal just isn't good and it's causing the noise. Not sure how to fix it though...
I had similar rattle around the center speaker. The rattle isn't from the speaker, it is very tightly locked in the dash with 5x metal clips. The rattle is from the dash itself vibrating. I fixed it by sticking 2 pieces of 5cm felt tape under the dash so it is resting against the dash internals. Took me a good couple of hours to remove the speaker and find the source of the rattle. Very difficult to remove the speaker and you could damage the dash material.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mystery dash rattle driving me crazy KkFBMf4
Sponsored

Last edited:

ionlybuyjapcar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where is the center speaker located?
Centre of the dash. I think only the touring or LX version in Australia have the dash speaker. Knock around the area and do it again when pressing down the dash to hear the different.

If you do not have the center dash speaker, it is unlikely you will have this problem. I think the cut out from the dash weakens the structure integrity of the dash.

Another common area is the A pillars, it is a easy fix I think anyone could do it. Just remove the tab with "air bag text" and remove the screw holding the plastic piece. Put some tape foam or felt on the bottom area of the piece and not to high to obstruct the curtain airbag. Put some on the white electrical connector, about 10mm thick.

sixhundredcc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic hatchback
Country flag
I had similar rattle around the center speaker. The rattle isn't from the speaker, it is very tightly locked in the dash with 5x metal clips. The rattle is from the dash itself vibrating. I fixed it by sticking 2 pieces of 5cm felt tape under the dash so it is resting against the dash internals. Took me a good couple of hours to remove the speaker and find the source of the rattle. Very difficult to remove the speaker and you could damage the dash material.

KkFBMf4.jpg
My hatchback doesn't have a center speaker. Was the dash rattling at the top or near the bottom? You had to go through the speaker for this?

Last edited:

sixhundredcc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic hatchback
Country flag
Centre of the dash. I think only the touring or LX version in Australia have the dash speaker. Knock around the area and do it again when pressing down the dash to hear the different.

If you do not have the center dash speaker, it is unlikely you will have this problem. I think the cut out from the dash weakens the structure integrity of the dash.

Another common area is the A pillars, it is a easy fix I think anyone could do it. Just remove the tab with "air bag text" and remove the screw holding the plastic piece. Put some tape foam or felt on the bottom area of the piece and not to high to obstruct the curtain airbag. Put some on the white electrical connector, about 10mm thick.
Both a-pillars have already been fixed with felt installed by service. I have almost given up because two dealers have been unhelpful fixing the rattle

ionlybuyjapcar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My hatchback doesn't have a center dash. Was the dash rattling at the top or near the bottom? You had to go through the speaker for this?
It is around the area I highlighted in red where I put the felt under the dash. My car is right hand drive, could be a different area for left hand drive.

civicdota

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Sedan
Country flag
I wish I had a speaker to prop out and be able to reach into the dash. I'd probably stuff a pillow in there if I could in hopes to suffocate all the rattling.

sixhundredcc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic hatchback
Country flag
I wish I had a speaker to prop out and be able to reach into the dash. I'd probably stuff a pillow in there if I could in hopes to suffocate all the rattling.
Id rather get rid of the entire dash. but I don't have time or patience for that

sixhundredcc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic hatchback
Country flag
I guess you can't have dash rattles if there is no dash hahaha.
Nope haha. My current remedy is to listen to music to drown out the rattle till I find another car to buy and dump this headache

sixhundredcc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic hatchback
Country flag
Does anyone have an update ? My hatchback still has this intermittent noise. Not every time I drive it it happens which is strange

pclaro143

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Jazz
Country flag
So since I've had the car now just over 3k miles I've had a vibration noise that sounds like something vibrating in the dash behind the radio. It only happens right over 2k rpm and is very audible in the cabin, hot or cold doesn't seem to change when it happens. I've pulled the radio out twice to try to locate it and initially thought it was the vent ducting vibrating on itself. Now that I've done the tear down twice I am almost certain it is the cabling vibrating against the vent duct which is behind the radio. The noise is plastic on plastic and the cables have a plastic sheath on them. Anyone else have a similar issue? I'm going to pull it apart again and add some kind of padding.
Hi all,
Almost one year has passed and guess what... I have a Honda Jazz/fitt with the exactlly the same issue as described and after 1 month trying to identify the issue I was able to "fix it"

The funny thing is that i have the car for 6 year now and never had it before, the issue only appeard like 6 months ago.
Now thinking back, it makes some sence as it matched the time my Jazz was recalled for a passanger Airbag replacment.

So, my noise, although it sounded like comming from behing the air vents, comes from one of the 2 bolts holding the upper glove box compartment door. The bolt tightens to a king of u shaped metal holder, and looks like the screw, after the airbag replacment is not securing properlly.

Hope it helps
Pclaro

Plezor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic RS sedan 2016
Country flag

KkFBMf4.jpg
How do you remove the centre speaker?

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How do you remove the centre speaker?
Just pull up under that lip you marked. I just used my fingernails, then was able to slip my fingers around the edges. Try to stay as even as possible around the edges as you gently pry up. The clips are covers in a slippy foam to ease egress.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mystery dash rattle driving me crazy 1F8EB1D8-4AAB-414B-A5C8-85704E685624

Kekela98a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Anyone getting a metallic buzzing when driving around 3200rpm? Sounds like it’s coming from the engine bay?

civicdriver_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX Sedan NA 2.0 L CVT
Country flag
For anyone who has a vibrating/rattling noise that seems to be coming from passenger/glovebox/behind center screen area

I have this exact sound, timestamped at 3:10 :

--------------------------------
also at 0:37:

---------------------------
With a possible fix:

When I change my oil I'm going to look into seeing if this will fix it. I'll update as soon as it's fixed or not fixed. Good luck everyone hunting for noise/rattles, it's pretty frustrating.
Sponsored