First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So after finding a set of tires after NWOR to get the car through to the end of the season I was able to run 2 events this weekend. One with the Detroit Region SCCA and the other with a local sports car club. The course for the DRSCCA event was a first time venue using part of the infield road course for Michigan International Speedway(same place where they used to host US500 for champ car and the NASCAR races every summer), the road course isn't that great of a course and made for an awkward autocross course. But armed with tires with tread and despite being sub 50F most of the day the temp warmed up enough for our heat for the Type R to take top PAX for the day(my first with DRSCCA ever actually). Thanks though to only 3 runs(timing errors earlier threaten to run the day into shut down hours for the track so they reduced the runs to 3) and a lot of people coned away fast runs including my codriver. Dialing back to be clean helped in this case....

Also funny my old car won GS that day on Conti ECSs as they ran first heat in the 40s with a damp surface....

http://drscca.org/livetiming/pax

The other event results not out but I had 2 other people drove the Type R and by the time we left we were sitting 1-2-3 on PAX(I was 3rd on fastest raw but coned so sitting on slower earlier run)...interested to see if that had stood....

Possibly the top pax run for the other event from one of the guys who drove my car...

This car is a pretty good car so far. With functioning tires its amazing it can actually put power down as opposed to wheelspin for days at Toledo on those bald ones....on stock rear bar the car is amazingly neutral with the staggered 274/245 setup on asphalt. I'd be curious to see how the car drive with 265/265 REs or 275/275BFGs, and if the rear bar would be needed in that case...

Last edited:

Apex Carver

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITR 01-1294, 07 Elise, 15 Fiesta ST, Formerly CTR
Country flag
Nice work! Were the 275/245 new? Or newish? Interesting to hear about the car being neutral with the stock bar, to me it’s a bit on the pushy side in warm conditions. Granted in colder temps, I can see how the stock bar would be neutral. In 40 deg weather the car with the karcepts bar is pretty loose

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah new-ish. I ran the same 245s I ran before as coming from Johnny's car they were barely worn despite a season on them. The fronts were bought from a guy with a Boxster and they are maybe 85% fresh(2017 date, slightly shoulder wear). I am sure being cold and on asphalt probably contributed to the difference. I guess we won't know for another 6-7 months at least, lol....

We were running F32/R30 for pressure thinking the lower rear pressure might might build rear temp and it was pretty good.

PedalFaster

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever people will let me drive
Country flag
The other event results not out but I had 2 other people drove the Type R and by the time we left we were sitting 1-2-3 on PAX(I was 3rd on fastest raw but coned so sitting on slower earlier run)...interested to see if that had stood....
The last event we had with two Type Rs in attendance also had them 1-2-3 in the PAX standings, which elicited a *lot* of grumbling. I suspect DS is going to take a big PAX hit next year.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This local club really isn't gonna factor in that. They aren't using full SCCA classing so Street class cars are more advantaged under their classing....also plenty of novices...

I don't know how overall DS will be affected next year. Did we really see an overall boost in DS this year? Though with the amount of BS also-ran being bumped down that might change it anyway.

PedalFaster

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh yeah -- our tiny little non-SCCA club isn't going to show up on Rick Ruth's radar either. But he monitors clubs across the country, so I assume that he's got enough data on the Type R, and that it shows that its index is too soft. And that's not even considering the potential move of the Focus RS and other BS and CS refugees into DS...

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did Type R win many tours? I thought WRX and Camaro still did quite a lot of winning outside of Nats....

To be fair, I think DS should get faster pax because I think at least locally Camaro is topping pax quite often...

PedalFaster

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Going by memory, I don't think any national-level events were won in Type Rs this year other than the Mineral Wells Tour (and Nationals, of course, but as you know weather played a big role this year). Offsetting that is the fact that very few Type Rs were campaigned nationally, and those that were weren't run by known top-tier drivers like Scroggs or Sparks.

I have seen lots of anecdotal evidence for people destroying local events in Type Rs -- I won the first two locals I did in Apex Carver's car. I know Rick monitors both local and national-level events; I don't know how heavily he weighs each when he devises his indexes, though.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I have only had my R for about a month now, but I do plan on playing a bit of autocross with it. I drive it every day so I am not looking to go crazy with camber settings and such. I plan to leave it more or less 100% stock, other than wheels/tires, until after the warranty is done. We have a pretty tough local chapter here in central NC, so I don't expect to be winning anything, especially without some car mods. I have crossed in the past, but it has been about 30 years since I did it.

I am curious what wheels people are using. My understanding is that the rules in DS allow a deviation of 1 inch from OEM diameter, no change in width, and a deviation of no more than 7mm in offset. I have been through the mega-thread 90+ page topic on wheels plus done some research on my own. If the above limitation for SCCA are indeed correct, the wheel offering are very limited, unless you are willing to drop some serious coin on customs. We seem to be limited to NSX fronts, earlier 19" Type Rs, one particular low-end Motegi, and one particular OZ wheel. And I have to be honest, none of these really thrill me in the looks department. Not that looks should really matter for racing, but hey, humans are vain. What can I say?

I need to figure out what is best for me to do to give myself the best chance to not finish last, within my limitations listed above. Some experienced racer input would be very helpful on this.

bouford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 AP1/18 FK8/19 CV2
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
i don't know anyone who has regretted auto-x'n their FK8. for me it's only form of legal racing we have on Oahu and i enjoy being able to do this in a safe environment. get out there, you'll enjoy it!

you can check out my build in my sig for more info but i do well in my region with the wonderful DS multiplier. if i'm driving decent, top 30 PAX, if i'm driving exceptional, top 15 PAX (out of 85-100 drivers).

alignment: -1.7 camber and 0 toe square, max front caster
karcepts rsb: 3rd hole both sides
suspension: oem in R+ mode
traction control: off (10 sec hold)
wheels/tires: nsx y's with 255/35 RE71Rs
tire pressures: 33/31 psi hot

oh btw, i opted for the NC1 Ys since they are the lightest, nicest looking and easiest to clean of the DS accepted wheels :D

in terms of driving, if you have a rookie class with instruction in your region take the free help. all the instructors are there to make you a better driver. if that's not available, evolution driving school has helped me improve. gl!

Last edited:

Apex Carver

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITR 01-1294, 07 Elise, 15 Fiesta ST, Formerly CTR
Country flag
I run a set of 19x8.5 BC Forged KL11 Wheels in +53. I also have a pair of Motegi's (aka boat anchors compared to the BC Forged) that Pedal Faster bought for the car so we can hot swap the tires inbetween runs to prevent overheating of the front tires.

https://www.bcforged-na.com/monoblock/kl11/

Honda Civic 10th gen D-Street Type R AutoX info sharing upload_2018-10-15_18-1-25

Last edited:

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
^ baller option...:D

I have NSX Ys I am using now and Motegi in boxes waiting for next season. Motegi will probably be test & tune alternatives dry tires and then used for some kind of transit capable wets(probably Michelins), I might think about going to them full time as DD wheels and leave my cheap 18s for snows.

This is definitely the best street class autoX car I've ever driven. And coming from my GTI being dialed in to my liking and driven for 3 years knowing all the ins and outs of that car, jumping into this and be comfortable is pretty great.
Sponsored