So who’s actually confirmed having gas in their oil in their Civic?

stevessvt

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Modern Steel Metallic Civic Si
Country flag
As a brand new owner of an 2018 Sport CVT I’ve just come across the threads concerning the recall for the CR-V 1.5, and this of course is very concerning to me. My question is how many of you Civic owners have actually had their oil levels rise due to gas in oil? And what years are your cars? Could a running change have been made to the new ones to help with this? I’ve read that it’s more of a cold climate issue, and I live in South Florida.

Thank you for your input m
Sponsored

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
DI motors will have more gas in the oil than other types of injection, since the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder. Take your dipstick out and smell it. I bet it smells like gas.

Last edited:

t3xn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
2016 1.5T Touring 36500 miles. Houston so no cold weather and a 40 mile commute.
I change my own oil and always put in 3.7 qts. My last drain was 4.2 quarts so half a quart of gas..

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
As a brand new owner of an 2018 Sport CVT I’ve just come across the threads concerning the recall for the CR-V 1.5, and this of course is very concerning to me. My question is how many of you Civic owners have actually had their oil levels rise due to gas in oil? And what years are your cars? Could a running change have been made to the new ones to help with this? I’ve read that it’s more of a cold climate issue, and I live in South Florida.

Thank you for your input m
2017 LX Hatchback. Switched to premium gas (costco) and problem solved. 2-3% fuel based on UOA. Houston, 50mi daily commute

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
2017 LX Hatchback. Switched to premium gas (costco) and problem solved. 2-3% fuel based on UOA. Houston, 50mi daily commute
Costco is Top Tier. Where you using Top Tier gas before?

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
If you take your dipstick out of a cold (room temperature) motor and there's an oil droplet building up at the base of the dipstick, like it's ready to fall off, does that mean fuel dilution?

I'm not too keen on the smell test, it requires a trained nose.

tbdrummer2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EX-L Hatchback
Country flag
Just checked mine for the first time this morning. Levels were fine but it did smell like gas. I’m gonna keep checking it regularly. Maybe I was just being paranoid.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
How can I distinguish regular used oil from regular used oil that has gas in it? How strong is the smell? Does it smell like having a jerry can of gas open nearby? A lot of us do not have extensive olfactory experience with used motor oil.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I have been changing oil in my cars for a long time and used oil always smelled like exhaust and fuel to me. I don't smell any obvious difference with my civicx.

My oil level seems to be rising, even though I haven't been doing short trips and the weather was hot. It must be caused by fuel blow by, because there is nothing else that would cause oil level to increase without being clearly visible, like the antifreeze. So who cares how it smells? Obviously there is some fuel in the oil, as expected.

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
as the others have stated i havent really seen any higher levels in my oil, i do notice a small smell of fuel when i pull out the dipstick though. i put my car away for the winter months here in NY so i dont have many cold starts, and my main trip in the car is about a 30 min drive to work.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The oil analysis reports we have collected show no signs of elevated wear metals. Honda's oil shows the highest viscosity drop, but it is still within a safe spec. Full Synthetic oils appear to have the lowest drop in viscosity due to fuel.

All the data we've collected shows the fuel is not adversely affecting the oil when changed at proper intervals.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/oil-analysis-database.21607/#post-364703

If you're still concerned about it, switch to a premium full synthetic oil. I'm doing 10,000 mile intervals with AMSOIL SS 0w20 and my viscosity barely drops. MM shows 15% at 10k usually for my driving habits.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
The oil analysis reports we have collected show no signs of elevated wear metals. Honda's oil shows the highest viscosity drop, but it is still within a safe spec. Full Synthetic oils appear to have the lowest drop in viscosity due to fuel.

All the data we've collected shows the fuel is not adversely affecting the oil when changed at proper intervals.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/oil-analysis-database.21607/#post-364703

If you're still concerned about it, switch to a premium full synthetic oil. I'm doing 10,000 mile intervals with AMSOIL SS 0w20 and my viscosity barely drops. MM shows 15% at 10k usually for my driving habits.
:headbang:

This post should be referenced anytime someone new asks about fuel dilution.

I for one am not going to ask anymore questions about it.:D

I am not going to worry about fuel dilution.

That collection of oil analyses is mint. :beer: Props.

Keep calm and continue to use a decent full synthetic oil and change at MM intervals. All will be good.:drive:

2tango2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX- Lunar Silver
Country flag
I changed my factory fill out at approx 4500 miles. The reading was showing high over the full mark on the dipstick. I didn't smell anything out of the ordinary when I dumped the factory fill, smelled like used oil to me.

I refilled to just under the full mark with Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 with a Fram Ultra filter. So far I have maybe 1500 miles on the oil and it doesn't look like the level has risen.
Sponsored