Oil dilution and body style

Which body style do you have with oil dilution problems?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
Guys I am just trying to work out if th US built engines are prone to oil dilution more/less in the coupe and sedan than the UK built engines in the hatch. Please vote with the body style of your car if you are having dilution issues.

Many Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/10/05/cars/consumer-reports-honda-cr-v-engine-trouble/index.html

CVR use sams 1.5 L engine as a forum member write

Link said ;
In some CR-Vs, gasoline can leak into the SUV's engine oil. That can eventually cause the engine to lose power or stall completely. Several Consumer Reports subscribers reported the issue which has also been the subject of of dozens of complaints to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, according to the magazine. Many more owners have complained of the problem in online forums, Consumer Reports said.

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
Coupe
Built in canada
No fuel dilution, oil level stays normal sunce the begining (15500km)
But i don’t drive a lot in traffic, mostly highway

OP
OP
Lifesabeach

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Im just trying to establish whether UK or US built engines are more/less susceptible to oil dilution and seeing as the hatchback is built in the UK with UK built engines it gives a us something to judge which engines may be more or less likely to suffer from dilution. Its just a theory

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
All the 1.5 Turbo civic have the problem potentially
The daily milleage and temperature are the main factor that determine if the problem will appear

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Im just trying to establish whether UK or US built engines are more/less susceptible to oil dilution and seeing as the hatchback is built in the UK with UK built engines it gives a us something to judge which engines may be more or less likely to suffer from dilution. Its just a theory
The hatchbacks from the UK have engines built in Thailand.
I have probably some fuel dilution but I don't have an issue with it :) so I don't know how to vote....
I'm not sure how much if at all the oil was overfilled from factory. I'm looking at it now after the first oil change, and waiting for winter, but I still don't expect to be ever worrying about it.

OP
OP
Lifesabeach

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda UK told a friend of mine that all the hatchback engines are made in the UK? Now Im confused is there any evidence as to where they are made?

Scott_ATL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic HB Sport Touring, 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
Now Im confused is there any evidence as to where they are made?
I just checked my window sticker for my 2018 HB Sport Touring. It states final assembly: Swindon, UK; Origin of Engine: Thailand; Transmission: Japan. And according to the sticker in the driver's door jamb mine was built June, 2018 (6/18).

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
All hatches are assembled at Swindon but to my knowledge the engines in the hatch are imported from Thailand.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Coupe
Built in canada
No fuel dilution, oil level stays normal sunce the begining (15500km)
But i don’t drive a lot in traffic, mostly highway
Same here but with over 50,000 km

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
This topic is frustrating to follow because:

1a. What counts as "having oi/fuel dilution problem"? Documented used oil analysis? People jumping into conclusions (with a dash of confirmation bias) from sniffing the dip stick? Unscientific reading of the dipstick level?
1b. Dipstick being hard to read.
2. Honda corporate seems to be dragging their feet when it comes to communication.
3. People regurgitating the same rumors over and over again.

Anyway, I can't vote because though my sedan is built in Canada, I have not experienced any issues. FWIW, my drives are mostly 20 - 30 minutes with some highway stretches.

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
I wonder if Honda will recommend a higher oil grade for the 1.5 turbo. Just a thought.
Honda can't endorse a more viscous oil in the US. 0W-20 was used to calculate emissions for CAFE and can't be officially changed.

This is from the UK/Ireland owners guide and has international oil specs. 0W-30, 5W-30, and 10W-30 are ok as long as the brand is API certified. note that "Except European Models" doesn't mean US.
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil dilution and body style Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 9.46.13 PM
Sponsored