Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
Interesting. I haven't been in an M3 since I sold my 2003 E46 coupe in 2006. I loved that car, which was my second M3 after a 1997 E36 sedan. I have noticed, from a distance, that the M cars have gotten bigger over the years, but it makes sense that the size and weight differences would be glaring after living with a CTR. Honestly, I'm having so much fun with the CTR than I can't imagine spending twice as much for a new M3. Also not surprised about the manual gearbox in the BMW, I really think the CTR tranny is as good as anything out there.

My wife is happy that I love my car, and the looks have grown on her. She could still do without the spoiler,
Sponsored

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
relationships can be continuously improved. One of the things i tell my lady is that if you truly love or care about someone, do something for them that's out of their norm. In other words, have them do something for you that they don't like. Vice versa. Challenge each other. See how far you can go to support each other. In your case, have her simply get in your CTR w/ a dress. Not sure how hard that is these days since i don't wear a dress..lol. Or else you'll stop putting the toilet seat down simply because it's not convenient for you. :dunno:

SamuraiFK8

First Name
KG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, Type R, 2004 Mercedes E500
Country flag
Had my Type R now for a week or so and love driving it. My wife though admitted she is not super stoked on it. Not about the ride or the drive, just getting in and out of it in a skirt or dress. She is not one to complain and has been fine in my other cars usually lowered on coilovers. But as the saying goes, happy wife = happy life. With this in mind I headed over to BMW to look at a new M3 with the thought that I can sell my CTR for close to what I paid for it.

For those that don't follow BMW, they just finished production of the F80 M3 and usually there is a 12-18 month gap before the new car is released. Dealers have loaded up on them and the one local to me has 21 on the lot right now including several CS models. I have really been enjoying having a manual again so I figured I would try out a 6 spd with the Competition package. For background I had an M4 previously that I really enjoyed along with an e90 M3 (amazing car) and an F10 M5 (horrible car) and various other BMW's.

So we drive it off the lot and the first thing I notice is the transmission is utter crap. It is obvious that BMW did not want to sell or even develop a decent manual for this platform. Second thing I noticed is that this is a BIG car. With the slow size creep over time you don't notice it that much if you are staying within the platform. e30 to e46, not a huge jump. e46 to e90 not a huge jump. e90 to F80 not a huge jump. e30 to F80 and you realize that the F80 really is the size of some previous gen 5 series cars. Third thing that becomes obvious is weight. There is no doubt that it weighs every bit of 3800 lbs. All of this adds up to a car feels lumbering in comparison to the CTR, like going from a Go Kart to a NASCAR. The NASCAR is definitely faster, but to what end? I'm sure I could get used to the F80 platform again, but I would definitely go DCT because the 6 spd SUCKS.

So where does this leave me? Not really sure yet. I love my CTR, but I am bummed about not taking it out in the evenings with my wife. We have an X3 M40 that we are fine taking out for dinner so it is definitely a first world problem. In contrast my 7 year old daughter says I am not allowed to ever sell her race car! She doesn't want to ride in any of our cars other than the CTR. 90% sure I will stick with the CTR since I just love almost everything about the car. My only complaints are fairly stupid and well known on the platform. The fact that as a long time dedicated BMW M car guy I find the CTR superior to the M3 says a lot about how amazing this car really is.
If it's a BMW you must have then you need to go with an M2.

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
I think did a poor job of getting my point across in the first post. It is not that my wife does not like the car, it is the fact that the M3 felt like a dead bloated pig in comparison and I preferred a FWD Honda econobox over one of my previous favorite cars to date.

Not looking to change seats, my wife is fine in the car if she is not wearing a dress, and this is the first car I have bought and not leased (tax avoidance) in a long, long time. I love this car.
I think you did a fine job at getting your point across. I think due to the amount of words in your post, the skim readers cherry picked the intent out of it and assumed a little. I've been known to do that when tired, so I'm definitely not bashing anyone.

Thankfully my significant other is tiny (5' .05" - as she likes to emphasize), so she doesn't have any issues getting in or out, skirt or not. There's not much to make it easier for people to get in or out, especially women with short/pencil skirts. She loves the car, although honestly I think she loves as much as she does because I love it.

There's not many light & sporty cars out there with 300+ crank HP stock that don't follow the same type of issues with getting in/out, so yeah, you're stuck with the class of BMWs that feel piggish (in comparison) at 3800+ lbs.

I also love the CTR, and am glad I can deal with it's limitations in my life.

forrestbb

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RR CTR, Civic SI-2008 sedan
Country flag
Had my Type R now for a week or so and love driving it. My wife though admitted she is not super stoked on it. Not about the ride or the drive, just getting in and out of it in a skirt or dress. She is not one to complain and has been fine in my other cars usually lowered on coilovers. But as the saying goes, happy wife = happy life. With this in mind I headed over to BMW to look at a new M3 with the thought that I can sell my CTR for close to what I paid for it.

For those that don't follow BMW, they just finished production of the F80 M3 and usually there is a 12-18 month gap before the new car is released. Dealers have loaded up on them and the one local to me has 21 on the lot right now including several CS models. I have really been enjoying having a manual again so I figured I would try out a 6 spd with the Competition package. For background I had an M4 previously that I really enjoyed along with an e90 M3 (amazing car) and an F10 M5 (horrible car) and various other BMW's.

So we drive it off the lot and the first thing I notice is the transmission is utter crap. It is obvious that BMW did not want to sell or even develop a decent manual for this platform. Second thing I noticed is that this is a BIG car. With the slow size creep over time you don't notice it that much if you are staying within the platform. e30 to e46, not a huge jump. e46 to e90 not a huge jump. e90 to F80 not a huge jump. e30 to F80 and you realize that the F80 really is the size of some previous gen 5 series cars. Third thing that becomes obvious is weight. There is no doubt that it weighs every bit of 3800 lbs. All of this adds up to a car feels lumbering in comparison to the CTR, like going from a Go Kart to a NASCAR. The NASCAR is definitely faster, but to what end? I'm sure I could get used to the F80 platform again, but I would definitely go DCT because the 6 spd SUCKS.

So where does this leave me? Not really sure yet. I love my CTR, but I am bummed about not taking it out in the evenings with my wife. We have an X3 M40 that we are fine taking out for dinner so it is definitely a first world problem. In contrast my 7 year old daughter says I am not allowed to ever sell her race car! She doesn't want to ride in any of our cars other than the CTR. 90% sure I will stick with the CTR since I just love almost everything about the car. My only complaints are fairly stupid and well known on the platform. The fact that as a long time dedicated BMW M car guy I find the CTR superior to the M3 says a lot about how amazing this car really is.
ThanksMo, you just answereed my alternative to the CTR, I was seraching for a used m2 or 3 of course in manual, but had a hunch it mide ride rougher or stiffer than CTR, but if like you say the manual is no good incomparison, then I'm more sold on ctr.

just curious what specifically is it that is bad about the m3/4 stick?

Last edited:

HumbleSage

The Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2, 2008 Civic SI's. 1 Ralleye Red (Stock). 1 Fiji Blue Pearl (Modified). 1 2017 Civic Type-R (Stock)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I won't overly digress into the relationship nonsense in this thread.. but I can't resist throwing in 2 cents. Your kid is right. Your wife can wear jeans (if she makes a dress and skirt look good, then jeans or slacks shouldn't be an issue). You can be happy too. That's how a relationship SHOULD be, not just the female. I'm 43, my woman loves my CTR... so do both her girls.

Deleted member 21875

Hilarious thread. I saw the WSJ review in the weekend edition and knew I wanted one. Ordered it and when it came in I told my wife someone backed out and my friend at the dealership said I could have it if I said yes that day. My wife rolled her eyes and said “a f ing Civic? Really? “. When she dropped me off to pick it up she asked where I was stopping on the way to,work to get my tattoo and gold chains! She hasn’t warmed to it at all. We drove it from Ohio to Bristol TN for a race and that didn’t do much to change her mind. I love it it’s quite a car for the money. I’m a Porsche guy and I’ll defend this car all day in terms of bang for the buck. At my age I’m probably not the average buyer so it’s kind of funny the surprising looks you get but it’s the real deal. I just had my detail guy put the clear bra on and I’m taking to mid Ohio to track this week. Can’t wait to,put it thru the paces.

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
She doesnt want to be seen in your fast n furious ride .... hilarious! But you already have a car that can be used to go out to dinner. Dont let her ride in your CTR anymore, guaranteed within a month she will be complaining that you never take her out in your Toretto car...

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
My other car is an X3 too, not M40i though. To be fair, I find the type R seat is a pain to get in. You can’t just slide in like other seats so I can imagine how hard it is to get in a dress or skirt. Before buying the type R, my wife and I discussed about the getting the M3 as our next car. When I found a deal an the R, I decided to jump on it. My wife didn’t hate it, but she doesn’t love it either. Generally, women would prefer an M3 than the type R because it’s a BMW. When I go to dinner, special events or anywhere with my kid, I would always take the X3 because it’s a lot easier to drive around and comfortable. The R is my fun and daily commute toy. Luxury cars nowadays are going toward refinement and improving NVH while sacrificing the “rawness” which is where the R excels. The reason I got the type R is because it’s a lot cheaper so it makes more sense financially, cheaper to mod and maintain, easier to DIY and that satisfies my need a an enthusiast. Btw, the X3 M40i is a beast SAV. Enjoy it!

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
lol your wife decides things for you?? i love having the freedom of not being controlled by a woman like that...been there, done that, not doing it again.

i buy what i want, drive what i want, do what i want whenever i feel like it, get to keep all my own money, and have to answer to no one. happy life = no wife : )
same here. Always have bought, done, and gone where I want. and been married 34 years......I really don't understand folks who control what other folks do. "No, you can't have that".....what? We both have our lives and we each do what we want....it's supposed to be a partnership not a prison sentence :)

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
same here. Always have bought, done, and gone where I want. and been married 34 years......I really don't understand folks who control what other folks do. "No, you can't have that".....what? We both have our lives and we each do what we want....it's supposed to be a partnership not a prison sentence :)
Exactly...been with my wife for 23 years now and some of the threads like this blow my mind. I don't really bother commenting too much because I can't fathom dealing with this type of shallow frivolous shit.

willimo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Civic, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
My wife has warmed to it over the last few months, I think she mostly likes how happy it makes me. She also wants to re-learn driving a manual and refuses to do it in my other car.

Your experience at the BMW dealer would have been surprising (to me) last year, but I think this car is really beginning to dig into the market. A lot of ride or die Subaru, BMW, or whatever have been having really positive reactions to this car. I think it's really impressive that a FWD car is doing so well in the what's a very crowded and competitive market (high performance under $50k), and it's absolutely trading on it's rawness. That's something BMW had cornered for years, and the M3 has become a monster but lost what made it the M3. The M2 is slotting in there to take it's place, but it's been pretty incredible to see how the CTR is stacking up against even it.

Size creep is unfortunately inevitable, in any make. While I absolutely believe it, it's funny to me when people describe the Type R as "light," or "nimble," or a "go-cart" compared to anything else. I have an EK and the FK8 is an absolute MONSTER in comparison. I mean, its outrageously fast and it handles far better than my little project. But it's a 1000lbs heavier, and though it's less than 7" bigger in any direction it just feels enormous. My Type R feels like a limousine compared to my noisy, low, stinky, low, little sprite of a car. (Then I go visit my parents and drive my dad's MG Midget....)

My neighbor is a huge BMW guy and in the two years he's lived across the street I've seen a steady stream of them in his driveway. He loves my FK8, though he's not going to convert any time soon. I also love pointing out to him how he's always calling me to drive him to the dealer or the parts store or wherever because his ride is busted...

wishistillhadmyITR

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F87 M2 (former 00' EBP Si, PYITR 0081, Evo VIII, IX, 15' WRX STi, Focus RS))
Country flag
ThanksMo, you just answereed my alternative to the CTR, I was seraching for a used m2 or 3 of course in manual, but had a hunch it mide ride rougher or stiffer than CTR, but if like you say the manual is no good incomparison, then I'm more sold on ctr.

just curious what specifically is it that is bad about the m3/4 stick?
Honda gear boxes are direct, smooth and almost feel gated at the same time. They’re easy. BMW’s are a bit vague and sloppy (driven e30 m3, e46 m3, m4, f87 m2, the latter being the best). Honestly, the “worst” gear boxes against the RS, Evo, ITR (the best I’ve driven), Si’s I’ve had.

Low mileage 2017 M2’s can be had for low 40’s. Truly a different beast than the CTR. I will say this, the N55 (not the S55) and it’s stock exhaust note is a glorious inline 6 sound. Add an exhaust, and they sound absolutely amazing.
Sponsored